Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Physical Security

Ken Timbers

I'm shortly to take delivery of a lovely SC 430, which will be parked on my drive. I know that these cars are eye-catching—after all, that's how I found mine, a very recent arrival on the showroom's forecourt. As a London resident, I'm also well aware that it may be equally attractive to the light-fingered members of the community, and I'd like to find a way to discourage them from trying to break into the car. I know that they would probably find it difficult to get started, but by that point the damage would be done. Do any members have advice and/or experience that would help me keep my car safe?

Something highly visible, such as a steering wheel disc lock would put off casual thieves but to be honest if professionals really want it (steal to order) then they will defeat pretty much anything.

• Like 4

Welcome to Lexus Owners Club it's always good to see new proud SC430 owners join us.

There are window stickers available on Amazonwhich may deter all but the most determined criminal.

1281217750_Screenshot_20220716-190132_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.8e36afee36266b36d0948843a5c74c23.jpg

You could fit front and rear dash cameras which are triggered even when left parked.

Or a good old fashioned, highly visable steering wheel lock.

1385496721_Screenshot_20220716-190830_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.22fac8bd10963077d9e0413a8b1f9786.jpg

Good luck! 

Please can you reply with a picture of you pride and joy?

Regards, Anthony 

• Like 2

I once read an article about parking in the streets of Rome - though it might as well have been any other big city - which discussed much the same problem as posed in the OP, namely the avoidance or limitation of damage potentially caused by thieves.  The recommendation, believe it or not, was  never to lock your car. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

The recommendation, believe it or not, was  never to lock your car. 

Hi Renato

I can see the logic.....they open the door, the alarm goes off and they scarper! Although the cheeky things may have nicked anything of value inside the car!

Anthony

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lexiguy said:

I can see the logic.....they open the door, the alarm goes off and they scarper! Although the cheeky things may have nicked anything of value inside the car!

First rule would be don't keep anything on display in the vehicle at all, not even a carrier bag of rubbish.

If the car has a smart key keep it in a Faraday cage.

Although the SC430 is a fine car I doubt it's top of the list for professional thieves, it's the average opportunist thief that is the most likely risk.

• Like 3

Prevention is better than cure, so I use a nice bright yellow Stoploc Pro Elite in my RX to act as a deterrent and hopefully make the scrotes think that it's too much hassle and that they'd be better off with an easier target. This is my old car but I'm still using it on my 2018 4RX:

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.56979a37c7442b103b3ff5e9d6f313b1.jpg

• Like 4

I don't want to tempt fate but out of all the cars I have owned the sc is the one I'm least worried about getting pinched. Yes they are rare and parts hard to come by but most thieves want to quickly sell on parts or use the car to repair a written off car . 

To deter someone taking the car the disk lock is the best , they are very difficult to remove , but due to haven a wooden steering wheel you would need to be carefull putting it on and off again , I think you can get a fabric sleeve to go over the wheel first ,to reduce the risk of damage .

Cameras are a waste of time all you see is someone pinching your car , not the best viewing in my opinion .

Definitely don't leave a laptop on the passenger seat lol.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.577ecf95dcbbb2e70c1c1a0e382e3cc4.jpeg

Thank you all for plenty of ideas and good advice. I was intrigued by the idea of leaving the car unlocked, but I don't think I'm brave enough! I used to have one of the Stoplock devices, which are probably the most practical solution, but I'm not sure which one to buy that's known to fit this car—any advice on that would be welcome. (I've noted Herbie's and Lexiguy's items.) I tend to agree about CCTV being of doubtful value, but I do have a Ring doorbell that can see the drive. The window stickers sound like a good idea. Again, many thanks to all of you.

The pics I have at the moment are those from the Lexus showroom's site because it's still there having a full service before delivery. I think it's stunning, and I look forward to taking lots more photos when it's in my hands, sometime on 25th July!

IMG_0508.thumb.jpg.c40ad171abaabc8558d6e131aa3e6894.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ken Timbers said:

… I was intrigued by the idea of leaving the car unlocked, but I don't think I'm brave enough! …

Neither am I.  I’m temperamentally unsuited to leaving my car unlocked and unattended even for a couple of minutes.  And yet when I think of the number of times I’ve parked a Lexus without the slightest mishap in neighbourhoods where respectable folk usually fear to tread I am left wondering about life’s mysteries.

• Like 2

Hi Ken

Terrific to see another beautiful SC430 and in the hands of a man who is obviously a connoisseur of what makes a great car!

I smile and get great enjoyment every time I see mine, start it up, drive it or detail it. If you enjoy it as much as me it will make you a happy man!

Here's mine

20220716_122334.thumb.jpg.42ea417b943935a18c8d341711db67f2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

I was intrigued by the idea of leaving the car unlocked, but I don't think I'm brave enough!

I'm not sure how one's insurer might view this idea, should the unfortunate happen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I'm not sure how one's insurer might view this idea, should the unfortunate happen.

They take "an extremely dim view of it"!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Ps if you are a gold card member you will get a healthy discount at Halfords so you could see what they have to offer or recommend as a physical deterrent.

Ant

Good idea, Ant—I haven't looked at the Halfords website for ages! There's a massive amount of stuff on amazon and I've ordered the window stickers, but it's often difficult to work out whether an item will actually fit your car, especially without damaging that beautiful steering wheel. There used to be a Halfords on the Orpington by-pass, but that's either closed or moved. I must see whether I can find another within easy reach.

• Like 1

It’s pleasant to read so many enthusiastic comments about the SC430.  Around 2005, I think it was, I test-drove one and, despite being much impressed all-round, especially by the comfort and standard of finish, decided not to buy for economic reasons mainly to do with Italian road tax.  I recall that shortly afterwards I saw and completely disagreed with a thoroughly negative review of the car by Richard Hammond on Top Gear. The adjectives “clumsy” and “heavy” stick in the memory.  Owners who are unacquainted with this review might want to trace and view it, though not if they suffer from high blood pressure.

• Like 3

maybe there's a warning sticker you can place strategically inside your ( un ) locked car that tells the thief that they will be sprayed with corrosive indelible ink the second they tamper with anything !

......... If there's no such sticker then get one printed and place strategically ...  assuming the thief can actually read :unsure:

Just an idea

Malc

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Richard Hammond on Top Gear. The adjectives “clumsy” and “heavy” stick in the memory.

maybe he was referring to himself and his Team of di--heads :yes:

Malc

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Stoplock devices, which are probably the most practical solution, but I'm not sure which one to buy that's known to fit this car

According to this, none of them:

image.thumb.png.e787ad3a258510d973d59884207ef85b.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I once read an article about parking in the streets of Rome - though it might as well have been any other big city - which discussed much the same problem as posed in the OP, namely the avoidance or limitation of damage potentially caused by thieves.  The recommendation, believe it or not, was  never to lock your car. 

Problem with our car is that alarm is turned off if car is not locked.

• Thanks 1

Hi John

That's true but I cannot see me ever leaving mine unlocked.  😱

Locks were first put on cars to stop their theft and I am sure in the event of an insurance claim they would take a dim view of a car being purposely left unlocked.

Ant 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, Ken Timbers said:

I'm shortly to take delivery of a lovely SC 430, which will be parked on my drive. I know that these cars are eye-catching—after all, that's how I found mine, a very recent arrival on the showroom's forecourt. As a London resident, I'm also well aware that it may be equally attractive to the light-fingered members of the community, and I'd like to find a way to discourage them from trying to break into the car. I know that they would probably find it difficult to get started, but by that point the damage would be done. Do any members have advice and/or experience that would help me keep my car safe?

SC430s are really one of the least stolen cars, so I would worry more about vandalism and less about somebody attempting to steal it. Obviously, big bright steering lock may act as further deterrent, but such cars are just not very hot for thief. Thief mindset is completely different, they don't care it is Lamborghini, Ferrari or Lexus coupe/convertible, nor they care how car looks or drives, what they care about is demand for second hand parts or for export/cloning. In short new SUVs are very hot or 3-5 years old German cars. As for Lexus only very few cars are popular - RX and NX mostly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheap solution is put a cheap tracker on it. I have fitted an Aldi one only available online which is the same as the Halfords Streetwize. £39.99 and £30 for a whole year for the sim. It even has a motion sensor which goes off on you phone if you have the app installed. I also thought about putting a switch in the fuel line but haven’t got round to it. As already stated the SC is a low risk car to be stolen but I would be gutted if mine was. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links