Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF - Upgrade infotainment to carplay

Good morning fellow F fans,

I have a 2020 MY RCF - facelift model but sadly before they introduced carplay so same widescreen model introduced from around 2018 (i believe). Much as I enjoy the car itself, the infotainment is shockingly bad for such a modern vehicle. I came from an IS250 2009 and can't say the new one is any better.

Lexus offer a software upgrade to the NX, UX models from 2019 but sadly not the RC.

I've found a potential solution but looking for installer recommendations (i.e. someone who wont ruin the interior and/or mess up any wiring). Preferably west london but open to reasonable journeys.

Cheers and any excuse for a picture 🙂

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001359733954.html?UTABTest=aliabtest300081_422161&_randl_currency=EUR&_randl_shipto=FR&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&gclsrc=aw.ds&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&gclsrc=aw.ds&albagn=888888&ds_e_adid=448836400057&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=u&ds_e_product_group_id=1306820800200&ds_e_product_id=fr4001359733954&ds_e_product_merchant_id=108306942&ds_e_product_country=FR&ds_e_product_language=fr&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&albcp=10564357377&albag=104632701295&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIfm4ImH-QIVRZBoCR3zsw55EAYYAyABEgLaFfD_BwE&aff_fcid=8835fc2a88aa42d2a133263b105c9c9a-1658306701930-03017-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=8835fc2a88aa42d2a133263b105c9c9a-1658306701930-03017-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=38334e0343d6480aa2c30b9401df3759&OLP=1083300108_f_group0&o_s_id=1083300108&afSmartRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

L1A.thumb.jpg.04cbb0b9a8643dd116fa3e0c262696b6.jpgL2.thumb.jpg.1437b5e15f2c5237ec25efa05abef560.jpg

• Like 1

I think @BillNick installed his himself and wrote a guide on this forum (may require some searching) and from what I saw and a brief discussion with him, it is very DIY-able. Might be worth a look and/ or chat before forking out £ for an install.

2 hours ago, RCF Fan said:

Thanks Kieran, I did find that thread and read through but I am not keen on attempting this job myself.

Fair enough, hopefully someone may fire some recommendations your way that is local to you, failing that how 'West' are you? I do have someone over by me but could be a trek, workshop is GU34 area if you wanted to see travel time 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Fair enough, hopefully someone may fire some recommendations your way that is local to you, failing that how 'West' are you? I do have someone over by me but could be a trek, workshop is GU34 area if you wanted to see travel time 🙂

Kieran, would this place also doing dashcam installations?  Potentially looking for a couple of cars and would rather leave it down to the professionals if trim pieces need removing.

A decent, trustworthy place is always nice to know and Alton isn't that far from me 🙂  Thanks.

Charles, apologies for the slight detour on your thread.

4 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Kieran, would this place also doing dashcam installations?  Potentially looking for a couple of cars and would rather leave it down to the professionals if trim pieces need removing.

A decent, trustworthy place is always nice to know and Alton isn't that far from me 🙂  Thanks.

Charles, apologies for the slight detour on your thread.

He's an independent, I can certainly ask but I am sure its within his capabilities, he's done a lot of work on my LS and I trust him. Depending where you are in Hampshire, he might be able to come to you, but again I can ask. If you want to pm me, can swap details so I don't become the middle man 😛

• Thanks 1

Have a look at Carlinkit 4.0

I've just bought one for my RC300h with the ML infotainment.It is meant to convert the infotainment system to Wireless And.Auto (I couldn't get my Motorola to connect via cable to AA).It works..up to a point in that I can finally get AA to connect and play music from my phone,but at the moment the car's touchpad won't interact with the Carlink dongle.I have emailed Carlink,but so far don't have a solution(their helpdesk appears to be in China so there is a time delay they reply to me at night,,and my reply to them arrives in their night....)

You will see  the thing is not much bigger than a credit card, about 1/4 inch thick and just plugs into one of the usb sockets in the armrest cubby.

It is also considerably cheaper and simply plugs and plays..sort of...I'll let you know as soon as they answer my email  about progress.

4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

He's an independent, I can certainly ask but I am sure its within his capabilities, he's done a lot of work on my LS and I trust him. Depending where you are in Hampshire, he might be able to come to you, but again I can ask. If you want to pm me, can swap details so I don't become the middle man 😛

Have done so, thank you 👍

13 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Hammersmith so not that far west 🙂 Excuse for a drive perhaps! Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

I think @BillNick installed his himself and wrote a guide on this forum (may require some searching) and from what I saw and a brief discussion with him, it is very DIY-able. Might be worth a look and/ or chat before forking out £ for an install.

I was going to chime in and suggest DIY but looks like you already decided against.

Did I put the BeatSonic video in my thread too? I basically watched that and then did it myself. It's scary, but only what another man is going to do to your precious car anyway - this is how I convinced myself btw haha.

The hardest part was liaising with the Chinese suppliers to get it setup correctly once I had plugged it all in....

If you change your mind I am not far (Kent) would be willing to help no problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidCM said:

I've just bought one for my RC300h with the ML infotainment.It is meant to convert the infotainment system to Wireless And.Auto (I couldn't get my Motorola to connect via cable to AA).It works..up to a point in that I can finally get AA to connect and play music from my phone,but at the moment the car's touchpad won't interact with the Carlink dongle.I have emailed Carlink,but so far don't have a solution(their helpdesk appears to be in China so there is a time delay they reply to me at night,,and my reply to them arrives in their night....)

You will see  the thing is not much bigger than a credit card, about 1/4 inch thick and just plugs into one of the usb sockets in the armrest cubby.

It is also considerably cheaper and simply plugs and plays..sort of...I'll let you know as soon as they answer my email  about progress.

You might want to put this suggestion on hold,as Carlinkit aren,t being very forthcoming as to when they can or will fix the problem.

I sense a trip to the Post Office is coming...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BillNick said:

I was going to chime in and suggest DIY but looks like you already decided against.

Did I put the BeatSonic video in my thread too? I basically watched that and then did it myself. It's scary, but only what another man is going to do to your precious car anyway - this is how I convinced myself btw haha.

The hardest part was liaising with the Chinese suppliers to get it setup correctly once I had plugged it all in....

If you change your mind I am not far (Kent) would be willing to help no problem.

Ha, now you have me thinking again to give this a go. I did watch the video too.

Very kind offer, thank you. May well take you up on that - fit in a drive too!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Don't have a look at Carlinkit!

Over on the Lexus owners groups on Facebook they have a very bad reputation, both for the device itself and also the support, which is basically non-existant.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Don't have a look at Carlinkit!

Over on the Lexus owners groups on Facebook they have a very bad reputation, both for the device itself and also the support, which is basically non-existant.

Herbie 

I,ve just watched your video of the carlinkit installation.Whilst my device was different,the lack of control in navigating around the screen was very similar.

Did you ever get yours sorted out?

David

40 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Herbie 

I,ve just watched your video of the carlinkit installation.Whilst my device was different,the lack of control in navigating around the screen was very similar.

Did you ever get yours sorted out?

David

No David, I didn't.

I tried to get a refund but communicating with them was just so difficult I just cut my losses and put it down to experience. Ironically, I went with a Carlinkit (at about £200) because I could neither justify nor afford a Grom Vline2 at about £500 - and then got one anyway so it's effectively cost me £700 :shocking:

Well worth it though and I'm pleased with the Grom. It's not quite perfect and still has a foible or two, but it's close to perfect and has the potential to get there. Also, being an American company, there's no language barrier when contacting support and their support team are actually very good.

I fired them off an email after looking at your experience asking for their returns procedure.I,ll see what ,if anything ,happens.

In the meantime,as my Motorola won,t connect to And Auto,I've copied all my music over to a basic Samsung I got for my wife and she can,t even switch on (dementia,I,m afraid)so she's gone back to the old Nokia pushbutton and she,s perfectly happy with that.The Samsung works a treat in the car so sod off Carlink.

It's completely wrong that the likes of you and I get screwed on these things..there are bigger things to worry about.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just to update this topic, I now have carplay!

Ended up getting the unit from this place and they recommended a fitter who came to me

https://www.iceboxauto.com/lexus-rc-series-2015-19-wireless-apple-carplay-wired-android-auto-siri-rear-camera?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

carplay.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RCF Fan said:

Just to update this topic, I now have carplay!

Ended up getting the unit from this place and they recommended a fitter who came to me

https://www.iceboxauto.com/lexus-rc-series-2015-19-wireless-apple-carplay-wired-android-auto-siri-rear-camera?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

carplay.JPG

This is the kit I have and we also have the same infotainment so interested to see your feedback.  Do you have to cycle through mode to get audio to work when you switch it on?  I have a few gremlins and would be interested to know if it’s something you also have?

27 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

This is the kit I have and we also have the same infotainment so interested to see your feedback.  Do you have to cycle through mode to get audio to work when you switch it on?  I have a few gremlins and would be interested to know if it’s something you also have?

Only been using for a couple of days but seems to work quite well. Mine is set to Aux and generally seems to go direct to carplay - happy to make a video in PM if you like? It is also a wireless setup. What audio settings on the carplay unit did you use btw? 

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Ooo, I was going to treat myself in the new year to some carplay. Might give this a bash after checking fitment. Thanks for the update and as Billy says, a big win to find it in the UK without requiring a remortgage! 😛

They are easy to contact if not the quickest - I emailed them to ensure I got the right unit before ordering. Fitting cost me 120

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links