Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speed Camera Mercenaries

Mr Vlad

I got this email today from an organisation ive been a member of for a good number of years. This subject is rather scary in a way. One wonders if itll happen here. What do you think?                                                                      Hi Vladimir

Information was released last
week which revealed more than
500,000 Motorists in France were
caught speeding by privately
operated speed cameras last
year...

The cameras are being operated
not by traffic police... but by
private individuals acting as
undercover mercenaries!

The French government pays
them a commission for each
speeding ticket they generate.

The speed camera in their car
does all the 'work' by calculating
the speed of any Drivers who
are moving away from them, and
reporting them automatically.

6.65 million vehicles were
targeted last year, resulting in
over 500,000 fines totaling
€76 million

There are 450 of these
mercenaries operating, meaning
that by my calculation, on average
they raised €168,888 each for the
French government last year...

So how long before this "spy on
your neighbours" type of speed
camera comes to the UK?

Well, we don't know.

But based on the totalitarian
trajectory of the the World in 2022
it seems like quite a natural step
for cash strapped governments
to me.

19 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I got this email today from an organisation ive been a member of for a good number of years. This subject is rather scary in a way. One wonders if itll happen here. What do you think?                                                                      Hi Vladimir

year...

undercover mercenaries!

€76 million

There are 450 of these

camera comes to the UK?

Well, we don't know.

to me.

Nothing scary about that Vlad. Always drive your truck within the ambits of the Highway Code and you have nothing to worry about, old pal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Nothing scary about that Vlad. Always drive your truck within the ambits of the Highway Code and you have nothing to worry about, old pal.

Agree to an extent, that extent is provided real and proven rock solid evidence is provided, otherwise it’s a joke.

Basically try not to speed, and definitely don’t do it deliberately.

• Like 1

John I'm a professional truck driver and I don't speed in it. My truck has 360° cameras and telematics so we'd get told off if found to speed. 

As for car I know where and when to go fast 😉.

That email sent to me stated facts. If those mercenaries started here then all hell would break out. Getting Joe public to do the coppers work? Bang out of order in my book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

John I'm a professional truck driver and I don't speed in it. My truck has 360° cameras and telematics so we'd get told off if found to speed. 

As for car I know where and when to go fast 😉.

That email sent to me stated facts. If those mercenaries started here then all hell would break out. Getting Joe public to do the coppers work? Bang out of order in my book.

Morning Vlad. My comments were in no way,shape or form intended to infer anything about you.

We have never met, but I have noted most of your contributions across a wide range of subjects and would willingly choose you stand on the bridge over the Tiber with me to defend Rome. Your integrity preceeds you.

I have no difficulty in being watched over by anyone in authority on the basis that only my transgressions are used against me. 

Have a better day than Stevie G is having Vlad.🤣👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

year...

undercover mercenaries!

€76 million

There are 450 of these

camera comes to the UK?

Well, we don't know.

to me.

Awful just awful Vlad. Oddly enough that's just about what happened here with parking here, and we know how that turned out 😎

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Morning Vlad. My comments were in no way,shape or form intended to infer anything about you.

We have never met, but I have noted most of your contributions across a wide range of subjects and would willingly choose you stand on the bridge over the Tiber with me to defend Rome. Your integrity preceeds you.

I have no difficulty in being watched over by anyone in authority on the basis that only my transgressions are used against me. 

Have a better day than Stevie G is having Vlad.🤣👍

Can't agree John, England is the most spied upon nation on Earth more than Russia can you believe? Like taxation, how much more do you want or willing to stand? 🤔

45 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Awful just awful Vlad. Oddly enough that's just about what happened here with parking here, and we know how that turned out 😎

Yes, presumably these folk get a cut of the fine so will encourage dishonest and dubious practices.

I once parked in a retail car park next to the PO sorting office (which has no parking) to collect a parcel. Within 30-seconds two great thugs jumped out a van and clamped my car demanding £100 in cash within 30-mins or my car is towed away.

Without entering any argument that could be misconstrued to be political (in any way whatsoever), I've not an issue with either one's local Council, County Council, or the country's Government outsourcing the reporting of some of the "illegal" elements of society.

This could cover littering, dog fouling, parking, speeding, overt drug-dealing and antisocial behaviour (for example).

There are many facets of the society we live in that could be improved if only more members (of that society) would be prepared to help and improve it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Yes, presumably these folk get a cut of the fine so will encourage dishonest and dubious practices.

I once parked in a retail car park next to the PO sorting office (which has no parking) to collect a parcel. Within 30-seconds two great thugs jumped out a van and clamped my car demanding £100 in cash within 30-mins or my car is towed away.

Vile people, tawdry processes, clearly illegal 😒

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

What happened then Andrew,as one often does not have £100 cash in one`s pocket.

If they asked for cash,they were clearly not going to give you a receipt or account for it to HM Customs and Excise ?

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

I thought private clamping was illegal? I'd have called the police.

What happened to you Andrew was 110% a Scam. If I remember correctly there was a programme on TV some time ago (a programme like that little guy who goes after bullies, can't remember his name) and I'm sure it was him doing that programme. That scam has happened so many times over the years. I'm sorry you fell victim to it and I won't dwell on it.

Don't be daft John. I took no inference. I just replied in my usual way lol. I'd stand with you to defend anything pal 👍 

• Like 1

I think this kind of thing will become more common with the increase in camera phones and dash cams.

So Vlad, if you can't beat 'em, join  'em, and get yourself a speed camera and earn some commission on your travels. Do truckers still use CB radios? If so your handle could "Vlad the Bounty Hunter" 🙂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I thought private clamping was illegal? I'd have called the police.

I believe it is now, but at the time (few years ago) was fully legal as I did check quite thoroughly.

Somewhere in the car park will be a sign with the terms and conditions that say something like parking for customers only, max-2-hours etc. I was not a customer, had left the site and was therefore in breach of the terms & conditions which were enforced by an external company (Thug & Co Ltd) employed by the landowner.

21 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I believe it is now, but at the time (few years ago) was fully legal as I did check quite thoroughly.

Somewhere in the car park will be a sign with the terms and conditions that say something like parking for customers only, max-2-hours etc. I was not a customer, had left the site and was therefore in breach of the terms & conditions which were enforced by an external company (Thug & Co Ltd) employed by the landowner.

Edit:  Quick check on Google and still seems that this practice is legal except for in Scotland.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/parking-tickets/appealing-parking-tickets/when-your-car-can-be-clamped-or-towed-away-s1/#:~:text=Summary of the rules&text=The police%2C the local council or the DVLA can clamp,it's on your own property.

From Monday (1 October 2012) motorists will be given greater rights as new laws banning wheel clamping and towing take effect. 

It will be an offence to clamp, tow, block-in or immobilise a vehicle without lawful authority on private land under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. These changes will end abuses by rogue clamping firms who prey on motorists by charging excessive release fees. If clampers break the law, they could be liable to an unlimited fine in the Crown Court or up to £5,000 in a Magistrates Court. 

So not legal for at least 10 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moleman said:

From Monday (1 October 2012) motorists will be given greater rights as new laws banning wheel clamping and towing take effect. 

It will be an offence to clamp, tow, block-in or immobilise a vehicle without lawful authority on private land under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. These changes will end abuses by rogue clamping firms who prey on motorists by charging excessive release fees. If clampers break the law, they could be liable to an unlimited fine in the Crown Court or up to £5,000 in a Magistrates Court. 

So not legal for at least 10 years.

i.e NOW?

The practice of contracting private mercenaries to spy on prospective speed offenders is socially obnoxious. Of course the broad aim of improving road safety is morally defensible but a de-funding of French institutional police forces may well have something to do with it.  Still, the tactic of paying citizens to spy on fellow citizens is probably preferable to the Italian practice, supposedly now less common than it was until quite recently, whereby manufacturers of speed cameras consigned their wares to badly-funded local municipalities in return for a commission on the number and amount of the fines levied.  This not unexpectedly LED, in some proven cases, to the cameras being calibrated in a municipality’s favour, with a consequent further reduction in the citizenry’s already low level of faith in authority.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links