Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Use of the (foot) parking brake

I'd be interested to hear forum views as I'm new to the 400h. Given that it's 2 tons of car is it sensible to just use 'P' when parking even on a flat surface or should the (foot) parking brake always be used?

My IS250 was much lighter and I felt OK not using the brake unless on a gradient, but I recall reading that the physical mechanics of locking the drivetrain using 'P' is wear on relatively flimsy components which I assume, if put under too much pressure, can fail and be expensive to repair.

I often cringe when I see film clips of cars, mainly old American films it must be said, that are rammed into 'Park' and you can see the car physically rock back. Makes me wonder if this is 'fair wear & tear' or were/are their cars more robust?

I guess what I'm asking is how flimsy is the gearing lock that holds the 2 ton load?

And whilst on this subject, having owned the car for just 3 weeks, there is more play on this 'foot' parking brake pedal than I would wish so can it be easily adjusted?

In my RX the parking brake is applied automatically... I only disable this function is freezing weather as advised by the handbook. 

Americans treat it as an emergency brake. Manufacturers wouldn't call it a Parking brake if it wasn't intended to be use when parked

Use it or loose it, it may not function properly come MoT time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sundance said:

I'd be interested to hear forum views as I'm new to the 400h. Given that it's 2 tons of car is it sensible to just use 'P' when parking even on a flat surface or should the (foot) parking brake always be used?

My IS250 was much lighter and I felt OK not using the brake unless on a gradient, but I recall reading that the physical mechanics of locking the drivetrain using 'P' is wear on relatively flimsy components which I assume, if put under too much pressure, can fail and be expensive to repair.

I often cringe when I see film clips of cars, mainly old American films it must be said, that are rammed into 'Park' and you can see the car physically rock back. Makes me wonder if this is 'fair wear & tear' or were/are their cars more robust?

I guess what I'm asking is how flimsy is the gearing lock that holds the 2 ton load?

And whilst on this subject, having owned the car for just 3 weeks, there is more play on this 'foot' parking brake pedal than I would wish so can it be easily adjusted?

I use mine on inclines or declines. My drive is flat, so never use it there.

From what I have read, it is BEST practice to use the parking brake except in potential icy conditions developing overnight. 

"Use it or lose it" is a good phrase, as it is better to keep ithe mechanism moving than leave it static to possibly rust and become inoperative. I use it both on my LS400 and RX400h even parked on my flat drive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

From what I have read, it is BEST practice to use the parking brake except in potential icy conditions developing overnight. 

"Use it or lose it" is a good phrase, as it is better to keep ithe mechanism moving than leave it static to possibly rust and become inoperative. I use it both on my LS400 and RX400h even parked on my flat drive!

Hmm, yes, I've heard that term when expressing many aspects of daily life so to apply it to braking is, I guess, equally understandable and sensible. 🙃 

Otherwise OK, I can see a pattern developing here which is helpful and I shall likely follow ... but does anyone know the actual strength of the 'preventer' (for want of a better word) that engages the locking mechanism when shifting to 'P'?

And then there's the pedal adjustment ... is it simply done? Presumably on the rear brake assembly somewhere?

1 minute ago, Sundance said:

Hmm, yes, I've heard that term when expressing many aspects of daily life so to apply it to braking is, I guess, equally understandable and sensible. 🙃 

Otherwise OK, I can see a pattern developing here which is helpful and I shall likely follow ... but does anyone know the actual strength of the 'preventer' (for want of a better word) that engages the locking mechanism when shifting to 'P'?

And then there's the pedal adjustment ... is it simply done? Presumably on the rear brake assembly somewhere?

The "P" on the transmission is not meant to hold the car. I would not trust the mechanism on a hill - on flat ground it would probably be fine - no pressure on the mechanism.

• Like 1

Parking brake is supposed to be used when parking.

Flat terrain or not.

Many years ago (around 1968) it should be possible to bring the car to a quick standstill while driving 30km/h or it would not pass the test. Where I was working, we had a big strong guy that could press the foot brake in Mercedes hard enough to block the wheels, he was always sent to get the cars passing the test, when the owners were not able to. Stupid, yes. That is how it was.

I believe the electric parking is blocking something and if hit by another car while only using that, something expensive could be damaged.

Use the parking brake when parked.

I am sure Colin know what the electric P is doing. I do not.

Unless I park on a hill, when I always use it, I apply the parking brake only in the warmer months and, as a general rule, not in winter, especially when leaving the car in the open overnight - or even for a few hours if there is a threat of ice.  

If you watch the video on Toyota RAV 4/Lexus eCVT kindly posted by VFR last month it gives a detailed description of the 'gearbox' and electric motors. You will also see the mechanism when park is invoked. Clearly not sufficient except when parked on truly flat road.

enjoy

• Thanks 1

I assume that there are parking pawls in the transmission that work like conventional auto boxes when in 'P'.  The fact that Lexus and some other manufacturers are fitting automatic hand/parking brake,(call them what you will), indications how the manually operated brake where fitted , should be used.  Relying just on the parking pawls puts a strain on them when you are on a gradient.  The potential downside is that if you are hit hard enough whilst parked, with the pawls engaged without or to a lesser extent with the hand/parking brake employed, you risk damage to the pawls/transmission. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did not see how electric parking function work/block the car from moving. Still believe, when Toyota call it a parking brake, it is to be used when "parking".

If very cold weather make it possible to freeze the parking brake, for a long time, so it cannot after use being released such can be used.   

1612726165_416IOujjsL._AC_SY1000_.thumb.jpg.5b0405e5046906f9ce66ffa41725106e.jpg    27_1024x.thumb.jpg.60bd6f8cfe954194227d5823551330e9.jpg

7 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

If very cold weather make it possible to freeze the parking brake, for a long time, so it cannot after use being released such can be used.   

I have not heard of this before, is this damp pads freezing to the disc (which could happen in any car) or some other cause?

My drive is a moderate incline so always use the parking brake.

21 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I have not heard of this before, is this damp pads freezing to the disc (which could happen in any car) or some other cause?

My drive is a moderate incline so always use the parking brake.

Do not know, but have read about it in this forum. Doubt it will ever be so cold that metal is frozen so much that parking brake cannot be released. Only know that if parked in garage for years, parking brake should not be used due to spring will lose power when pressed a very long time.

Both of the rear brake discs should have a removable rubber grommet. Once removed, you can access the adjustment cog and rotate it with a flathead screwdriver.

Adjust it enough until the brake shoes start to drag, then back it off slightly. Do the same on the other side.

I think there's also some adjustment available on the pedal itself, but unless you're a contortionist, I wouldn't fancy that task.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links