Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Superchargers Using Tdi Induction

Ever since I've had the S/C fitted I have suffered with a fluffy power delivery. This is particularly prevelant from cold but can come and go at any time. When the throttle is squeezed the car can stutter, as if the old girl isn't getting enough fuel. The throttle can be squeezed right down, and there is hardly any response. At certain speeds( 70+) the car will accelerate smoothly with no problem.

Could this be ECU related? I run the standard black ECU ( Revision 2 I think) and not the optional silver ECU. Other people with this particular induction kit do not appear to have any problems. I've changed the spark plugs to 1 colder than standard, which has marginally improved matters, but it is still not right.

Any ideas? :unsure:

if it is at low revs then u will have it with any the roots blower ( the type fitted to the IS) as with any compressor it is all in relation with compressor speed and air flow - that is the reason for the bypass valve.

typical example 2nd or 3rd gear - u floor it when revs are below or around 3k then u can hear the blower stall ( not correct to call it a compressor as it doesnt actually compress the air in its housing it is just an air pump) then it will slowly pick up - this is normal nothing to worry about

if it is at low revs then u will have it with any the roots blower ( the type fitted to the IS) as with any compressor it is all in relation with compressor speed and air flow - that is the reason for the bypass valve.

typical example 2nd or 3rd gear - u floor it when revs are below or around 3k then u can hear the blower stall ( not correct to call it a compressor as it doesnt actually compress the air in its housing it is just an air pump) then it will slowly pick up - this is normal nothing to worry about

It is nothing to do with compressor air speed and air flow or the reason for a bypass valve. The bypass valve is there to recirculate compressed air when the throttle is closed.

The blower does not stall, and it is called a compressor because it is exacly that. If it wasn't a compressor you would not get any boost pressure out of it. You can call the engine an air pump if you feel the need to, but not the compressor.

Gus, we have experienced this problem with the standard TTE compressor kit at low revs in a high gear. We believe it to be an ecu issue but appears to be normal for the standard system. We have not seen this problem on any cars where we have installed a proper mapped ecu.

It is nothing to do with compressor air speed and air flow or the reason for a bypass valve. The bypass valve is there to recirculate compressed air when the throttle is closed.

The blower does not stall, and it is called a compressor because it is exacly that. If it wasn't a compressor you would not get any boost pressure out of it. You can call the engine an air pump if you feel the need to, but not the compressor.

Gus, we have experienced this problem with the standard TTE compressor kit at low revs in a high gear. We believe it to be an ecu issue but appears to be normal for the standard system. We have not seen this problem on any cars where we have installed a proper mapped ecu.

you say the roots blower is a compressor ? ?- i know it is not, air is not compressed within the blower housing so it is not a compressor The roots blower is a fixed displacement air pump, compression does not take place within the blower but outside of it, and only because of the mass airflow into a semi closed system - ie air backs up in the system thus only causing a pressure increase because air is being forced in the system all the time.

LINK 1

LINK 2 - paras 10 +11

LAST FEW LINES OF "A +B PERSONALITIES"

note the word PUMP!

I can continue to prove that it is an air pump if you wish???

As someone that wrote a final university paper on the operation and characteristics of compressors for my degree ( main base was axial and centrifugal but included the rotating lobe blowers) and sat an oral exam with the Civil Aviation Authority on compressors for my license plus having worked nearly everyday with them for the past 9 years i think i have a more than adequate knowledge on the working cycles, so i can be pretty sure to say that the roots blower can and does stall.

but im not really bothered what you say or think, im voicing my opinion, if people choose not to believe it then that is up to them, people believe what they want to

based on the information at hand.

well im off for the weekend so ill pick up and answer any shi**y pm's or comments when i return, i wish everyone a good weekend and chat again sometime on monday - Tschuss! robbie bobby :P

Thanks for the input guys. It is strange some people have the problem and some don't. The symptoms are exactly as Dave and Rob described. Glad it is nothing to worry about, but I might look at getting the thing mapped properly. At least I should get a few more gee gees! :P

:o Now look what you,ve started Gus !!! :P

Mine had that problem month's back, but was solved with HKS plugs.

Things are running even smoother now with the Uni-Chip and 3D module. (plus dyno run of course) :driving:

is your lex a plane mate, :ohmy:

:o Now look what you,ve started Gus !!!  :P

Things are running even smoother now with the Uni-Chip and 3D module. (plus dyno run of course)  :driving:

Yeah, Just fastening the wings on now... :lol:

:o Now look what you,ve started Gus !!!  :P

Things are running even smoother now with the Uni-Chip and 3D module. (plus dyno run of course)  :driving:

Yeah, Just fastening the wings on now... :lol:

:unsure: bloody ell :ohmy:

Does the CEL go off by itself or is it something the dealer need to check out to reset it? Haven't had the check engine light come on yet tocuh wood.

Does the CEL go off by itself or is it something the dealer need to check out to reset it? Haven't had the check engine light come on yet tocuh wood.

It doesn't go off, next time I park up I open the bonnet, pull out 3 fuses, wait for a bit and then put the back in. Causes problem if you leave it with CEL on, if you do the same thing (i.e. high throttle low revs) and throw another CEL with one already thrown it will go into get you home mode i.e. fixed 2000 rpm which is not good!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links