Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shortage of courtesy cars

wharfhouse

Just went to book my IS 300h into Lexus Reading for a service and the vent tube recall work (to be done together). I had a date in mind of second week in April as thought 6 weeks would be plenty of notice to get a courtesy car as well (usually need to give about 3 weeks notice for a courtesy car). However, when I called them, the earliest appointment I could get with a courtesy car was last week in April (which is 8 weeks away), at which time due to some longer up and coming trips the car would be well past the service due mileage.

Seems that my dealer group at least are rather short or courtesy cars - not sure if that's down to the shortage of new car deliveries and Lexus prioritising what stock they have to fulfil customer orders?

So, just a heads up - if you are looking to have a courtesy car the next time your car is due in, worth checking on availability early.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

That's strange.

When I used to go there, a courtesy car was usually available 2 to 3 weeks in advance.

Perhaps they are cutting costs by keeping less cars?

Always has just been a few week for me for the last 6 years - this is the first time it's been so far out to get one...!

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Just went to book my IS 300h into Lexus Reading for a service and the vent tube recall work (to be done together). I had a date in mind of second week in April as thought 6 weeks would be plenty of notice to get a courtesy car as well (usually need to give about 3 weeks notice for a courtesy car). However, when I called them, the earliest appointment I could get with a courtesy car was last week in April (which is 8 weeks away), at which time due to some longer up and coming trips the car would be well past the service due mileage.

Seems that my dealer group at least are rather short or courtesy cars - not sure if that's down to the shortage of new car deliveries and Lexus prioritising what stock they have to fulfil customer orders?

So, just a heads up - if you are looking to have a courtesy car the next time your car is due in, worth checking on availability early.

Phil, What are you doing re the "car would be well past the service due mileage" problem ?

17 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Phil, What are you doing re the "car would be well past the service due mileage" problem ?

Due to the miles I will be doing over the coming weeks if I left the service until a courtesy car was available it would take me well beyond the T&Cs of 10k miles between services for the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and Hybrid Healthcheck - of course no damage will be done to the car by going a couple of thousand extra between services, just want to be safe with the T&Cs in case...!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fortunately I've been in a position to have not needed one during my three years with Lexus so what I'm saying here is with other marques I've had.

I've noticed this has become much more common over the last decade or so - either a reluctance to provide one, or if they are available you're looking at a month, if not longer, in terms of notice required. This never used to be the case. Another common trend is now there are a number of car dealers (across the marques) where you have to pay for one - which in my opinion contradicts the word 'courtesy'. If that's the case, then surely it would be best to re-name them as hire cars, rather than courtesy cars.

I'd understand the lack of courtesy cars if it was something only just happening over the last couple of years given the short supply of new stock but from my experience, as I said, this has been going on for a good number of years now. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links