Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clarkson review of the NX 450H

Not sure if anyone has read this in the Sunday Times but he made a lot of comments about how hard it was to open the door both inside and outside because there was no proper handle. Also, whilst loading the car with luggage he went back and found the doors had locked even though he had left the keys in the ignition.  Not sure how he managed to do that with no ignition to leave the key in. Must admit I've never had a problem with the door locks

Yes, I have read this review which says more about Clarkson than it does about the car.

However, the fact that the 12V Battery was flat seems to indicate that the car had not been used much and I note it was delivered to him on a trailer.

I agree that you cannot lock the doors if the keys are in the car so how he managed this is mysterious.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Yes, I have read this review which says more about Clarkson than it does about the car.

However, the fact that the 12V battery was flat seems to indicate that the car had not been used much and I note it was delivered to him on a trailer.

I agree that you cannot lock the doors if the keys are in the car so how he managed this is mysterious.

Maybe the key Battery was flat too?

Typical Clarkson. Motoring journalist of an era when Lexus could do nothing right! If Clarkson doesn't rate a car it usually means it's good. Having said that I recall he does like the LC and he was complimentary of the original NX in 2015. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Typical Clarkson. Motoring journalist of an era when Lexus could do nothing right! If Clarkson doesn't rate a car it usually means it's good. Having said that I recall he does like the LC and he was complimentary of the original NX in 2015. 

I think he also said at one time that the LFA was the best car he had every driven

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Did He Not Get The BOOT From Who Wants To Be A Millionaire..He has always Been Outspoken Saying What He Thinks Before Thinking About What He Says..Personally I wouldnt Take on Board anything He has To Say About Lexus.. I would call Him Bomboscious..Now There,s a word for Easter Sunday.... Happy Easter Ken..!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Did He Not Get The BOOT From Who Wants To Be A Millionaire..He has always Been Outspoken Saying What He Thinks Before Thinking About What He Says..Personally I wouldnt Take on Board anything He has To Say About Lexus.. I would call Him Bomboscious..Now There,s a word for Easter Sunday.... Happy Easter Ken..!!

I don't think he has had the boot from Millionaire, he has been up in Manchester recently filming the new series. I happen to like Clarkson, especially his farm series but he does say a few daft things when reviewing cars -usually Lexus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

My word of the day Ronnie! Happy Easter to you too.

• Like 1

I do generally quite like him BUT some of his car reviews are rubbish. The only car that he really likes is a Range Rover and we know how reliable they can be.😅

• Like 3

I’m a big fan of Clarkson, but you do have to take a lot of his car reviews with a pinch of salt.

I’ve not read this particular review so I can’t comment on it. There’s not many reviews I do take notice of these days simply because the testers usually have some sort of vendetta against certain brands, or a love for another. They’re usually given the keys of the car to drive for a day. They don’t buy them and live with them to learn what they’re really like over a period of time. 

I wont say what they are, but there are a number of cars out there which were generally panned by the press, but in my opinion (and my father having had two of one particular car which was deemed poor) were actually very good indeed.

I haven’t followed Clarkson for many years but am surprised to hear that he still manages to irritate people.  Surely what he says about a car is less important than the entertainment value he aims to provide by saying it (not always successfully).

• Like 2

I agree that Clarkson likes to exaggerate everything and tries to shock, but I tend to agree with the two main messages that come out of the article. One is that it drives very quiet, comfortable and economically and the other is that the tech and software is very complicated and generally not very reliable. I have similar feelings in my experience with the car. IMHO 

Anyone else agrees?

The only person on top gear ever worth listening to (IMO) was Quinton Willson. 

Mind you that was when it was a program about motoring. 

1 hour ago, VFR said:

The only person on top gear ever worth listening to (IMO) was Quinton Willson. 

He was a big fan of the LS400 as I recall.

Personally I can't stand Mr Clarkson, but that's how he has made his career by being controversial...

Clarkson compares the Lexus to a fridge. 🙄

I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer that was made in Britain approx. 25 years ago. I may have replaced a light bulb many years ago but apart from that it has been completely trouble free.

If my Lexus gives me similar service then I will be extremely happy 😀😀

• Like 1

Jeremy has been quoted many times saying that the LFA was the best car he has ever driven... He even mentioned this in a TG episode. In the review in question he did make some good points about the new NX PHEV, but just that it's not for him. I actually own a 450h+ and some of his points about the frustrations of too much software intervention are valid (and I work in the IT sector and own a couple of software businesses). Lexus (Toyota) used US developers to improve the previous awful infotainment tech and they went crazy, chucking in everything they could think of. Safety systems are getting better and are obviously necessary, but should also be useable outside of the US. My car doesn't recognise me without both key and phone if not in cell coverage - it defaults to 'Guest' mode... and the wait until the car has recognised you when you do have coverage seems interminable. But the latest Ferrari's do this as well, so maybe it's me who is out of touch...  Clarkson is a brilliant journalist and some of his articles are designed to illicit a reaction, so this should be kept in mind. 

• Thanks 1

Any motoring journalist that over-dramatizes the functionality of the NX's door handles as Clarkson has done (to the Nth degree by the way - "stuck in the car until 4am; blah; blah; blah") loses all credibility in my opinion. Anyone that can't use them (or understand the logic behind the technology) shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car, let alone review one.

He also makes reference to the "beeps" when using the infotainment system. Is he not clever enough to work out that you can turn that off in seconds via the settings? Has he not driven a modern car before?

I'm sure he makes things up for shock value - he's just walking clickbait.

I'm not trying to be defensive on my choice of car and I'm not saying the new NX is perfect (I know that others on here have had some not inconsiderable issues with aspects of it) but at least review it in a reasoned, rational, way and not use it as the latest attempt to "get noticed".

• Like 3

What's funny with these door handles is that Tesla did something even weirder on its Model 3 with a separate switch and it has been branded innovative an not a single reviewer complained really about it (or the external contraption which is used as a door handle). It's not even coupled with a safety feature which is in my opinion a nice thing to have in this age where bicycles / trottinettes are pretty much everywhere (at least in Paris area, you can find them on sideways, going wrong way on the street...).  

image.thumb.png.5d7e12cb5b47dbf60335488095a810a1.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links