Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have just ordered my brand new NX350H with premium pack. 
I am coming from a 2022 Honda HRV and it has brake hold but you do not need to keep turning it on every time you get into the car. 
Am I right with the Lexus you need to keep turning it on every time you start the car. 

many thanks 

There are two brake hold functions - there's an automatic one that operates on an incline (I have not tested the next point on the NX, but if anything like the ES it releases automatically after a few seconds, this is intended to help you do a "hill start") and then a manual one that you need to switch on if you want to use it. You will also find the manual brake hold only operates for a couple of minutes then you will get a message either to press the brake pedal to keep operating it, or the park brake is applied automatically.

• Like 1

It is a weird implementation of a brake hold function.  Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be an entirely unnnecessary step to turn it on via the button.  In my Mercedes E-Class you just pressed and briefly held the brake pedal to engage the hold function, which seemed much easier and more intuitive to me.

Yes it seems like a missed step, when virtually every other manufacturer gives you the option to default it to on (so I assume its not a legal thing).  A year on with ours and I remember most of the time to switch it on at the start of the journey.

it should be ON by default, I don't use it because its a button I need to press. I might use it on long journeys.

also the seat heating on my old NX stays ON even after stop start, this should probably turn off. not sure how this is implemented on the new NX

33 minutes ago, Alistair M said:

How do I switch the brake hold on please? (also missing this having had it in 4 Mercs). Thanks 

There is a button just below the gear selector in the centre console. 

Here is an extract from the manual showing it's location:-

hold.jpg.46393500a31d7b474d9298f280746676.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I'm glad it's not default on, as when parking I use the brake and engine pull to manoeuvre slowly and smoothly, with the hold function on it's too jerky for me.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

It's not an auto brake hold.
It's a brake hold button for autos. So the same as the one already installed on most models of NX.

So it will not solve the fact to push all the times the hold button to activate the fonction?

4 minutes ago, andrew-amazing said:

So it will not solve the fact to push all the times the hold button to activate the fonction?

Nope. And there are certain circumstances where an auto feature could be more of a hinderance then help 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

Nope. And there are certain circumstances where an auto feature could be more of a hinderance then help 

I loved how in the Mercedes with a harder press of the brake pedal the auto brake was activated 

2 hours ago, andrew-amazing said:

I loved how in the Mercedes with a harder press of the brake pedal the auto brake was activated 

Still not automatic, but a sleeker solution.

Like @Al D-Much, I personally like the way it's set up and I like the fact that if you want it - you press the button. It was the same in my UX. There does seem to be a bit of a 'jolt' using it to pull away as it's obviously holding the brakes. That's fine on a hill, but unnecessary elsewhere. 

Each to their own of course, but I certainly wouldn't like it to be 'on' all the time. I'd feel as though I'd have a slightly sticky caliper every time I wanted to move forwards from standing still. 

• Like 4

Last summer while on holiday abroad I drove a rental VW Tiguan with Hold on by default and I found it quite annoying when I forgot to disable it each time I started the car.

my previous car was an automatic without “Hold”, so  I am too used to just stop at traffic lights with my foot on the break pedal that so far I did not feel the need to use the button on my new Lexus. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links