Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dealer Quality - A Natural Decline?

Rabbers

There are increasing numbers of complaints in various LOC forums about poor dealer service, including some real horror stories.

I think we are witnessing a natural generational change for the worse in the level of customer treatment provided by Lexus dealerships, not merely in the U.K. but throughout Europe.  The main cause, in my view, is the inevitable disappearance of many or most - and perhaps in some cases all - of the people who operated the dealerships when Lexus was a young brand.  Both management and staff were motivated by the need to constantly try harder than competitors, with the result that they collectively succeeded in giving Lexus a reputation for offering the best service in the industry.  This reputation, alas, is showing signs of deterioration alongside the dilution of the image of exclusivity - which was itself a motivational factor for dealers and customers alike - deriving from the compound effect of higher sales and an ever increasing number of ageing cars being brought in for servicing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Fully agree Renato. On top of that the stand alone Lexus dealerships are disappearing and they are now operating from a corner in a Toyota dealership. The sales do not justify separate dealerships i guess. The Lexus premises where i live is now occupied by VINFAST. Next to it was a peugeot dealer which is now BYD and next to that the Jaguar dealer moved out and is now XPENG. Proof of an automotive landscape changing rapidly and Lexus could be wiped off the European map by the new Chinese competition launching new brands and models at an ever increasing pace.  

No complaints about my local dealer although they seem to be moving to a more hands off model (booking online and key drop facilities etc.) however the service and recall I had done yesterday was still a pleasant experience. 

Most dealerships in the UK seem to be operated by large companies that cover multiple marques, so no doubt there is some dilution as they look to standardise their operations eg is a company that owns BMW, Mercedes and Lexus dealerships really going to offer significantly differentiated service levels?

I agree with you for the most part. However, I believe there is more to it than just the age of the brand. When Lexus first launched, they had a fresh perspective on customer service and aimed to provide a luxury experience that matched their cars and brand image. As the brand matured, they no longer had to work as hard to explain what their brand was about. At the same time, both Lexus cars and their clientele have changed. In the past, Lexus customers were looking for the ultimate luxury experience. Now, many customers are simply looking for a practical vehicle to transport their families. They compare Lexus to other brands based on factors such as the number of ISOfix points, charger points, and boot capacity. These customers are less concerned with the brand or how the car drives and more focused on the monthly cost of owning a vehicle. As an established brand, Lexus already attracts these customers to their dealerships. The level of service they receive may not be a significant factor in their ultimate purchase decision. Many buyers already know what they need from a car and have their own unique criteria for making a decision. For example, I know someone who only buys cars with a rear wiper - that is her main requirement.

In short, Lexus has become more mainstream and their models and clientele reflect this change. Putting on a show with champagne would likely be a waste of money.

Secondly, I think it’s important to distinguish between the sales and service departments at Lexus. In my experience, the sales department has mostly been good, with a few exceptions that may have been due to miscommunication between Lexus UK and local dealers. Overall, Lexus sales staff are still much better than those at other established luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz or BMW. They may not have extensive knowledge about the cars, but they are generally very friendly. I believe this is partly because most Lexus dealerships are not as busy as those of other brands and their sales staff have to work harder to make a sale. In contrast, sales staff at BMW or Mercedes-Benz dealerships may not care as much because if one customer doesn’t buy a car, the next one will.

But when it comes to Lexus service department my experience has been mostly negative and I would even say subpar. There are many reasons for this. For example, Lexus cars are known for their reliability, so most service appointments are routine and don’t provide much opportunity for profit. As a result, customers may be seen as more of a liability than an asset. Additionally, many dealerships are part of larger networks and their service staff may not care whether they are working on a Hyundai or a Lexus. While sales staff may receive brand-specific training and attend events, service staff likely only need to pass basic competency tests to prove they can follow repair manuals and turn nuts. The one exception was when I needed warranty repair and the dealership was eager to claim £4200 from Lexus GB’s warranty to complete it.

In summary, while Lexus sales are still better than the competition in my experience, because being nice for them is directly linked to their bonuses, but their service has been outright unpleasant, because there is nothing to be gained from being pleasant. 

Final thing - it matters what you drive and why you there. When I bought new IS250 they were treating me rather well, giving nice courtesy cars, calling me to the events etc. When I later bought old IS250 suddenly they started forgetting to book courtesy car, tagging pointless repairs on it etc. Then again when I had 2 years old RC - they are suddenly nice again, given LC as courtesy car etc. And same goes with sale staff - if you enquiring about used car with low profit margin, then you will speak with some apprentice office assistant who knows less about the car then you do, but if you enquiring about lease on LC, then suddenly you greeted by Sales Director of the dealership. Prep of the car follows the same rules - if they delivering new one, then they will make sure it is spotless, but if you bought used one and negotiated the price to the last penny, then you will be taking bus to the dealership and it will stand in the corner somewhere. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

No complaints about my local dealer … the service … I had done was still a pleasant experience. 

I have been using mainly the same dealer for almost twenty years and would also say that the service has by and large remained good and the customer experience pleasant (at least until the moment I see the bill). What I find rather disconcerting, however, is that there appear to have been more personnel changes at the dealership in the last five years than in the previous fifteen.  No doubt there are many possible explanations for this, both social and economic, but it means that I, as a customer, have a greater love for the brand than the people for whom it provides work.  Which may mean very little or maybe nothing at all, but is nevertheless something for me to ponder.

• Like 1

My experience with Lexus dealers has been a mixed bag over the last three (and a bit) years. The UX I have at the moment isn't from my local dealer - it's from the second nearest. Typically located next to a Toyota Dealer but in it's own separate building. The staff were generally pleasant and the place was absolutely spotless. The dealer doesn't look much on the outside, but very good indeed on the inside. The handover process was very good indeed but I wouldn't say it was anything truly special. I've had near-identical experiences elsewhere. I can't comment on this particular dealer's service other than changing the front wiper blades under warranty which was done there and then, without fuss. Top marks for that. 

My main experience is at my local dealer, which is where all the servicing has been done and more recently, it's first MOT. The dealer is in a more modern building with an 'airier' setting, but it's smaller and part of a group which also owns other brand's dealers on effectively the same large site. The general servicing is fine and timekeeping has been spot on. However, they didn't reset my service indicator the last time around - a pretty basic error I'd expect a company of Lexus' calibre not to make. 

Ironically they pride themselves on customer service on the franchise's website, but as you may have seen on the 'NX 2023 delivery dates' thread with some previous posts of mine, they have very much let themselves down and continue to do so with regards to the order I placed with them approaching 11 months ago. If I don't chase them for news, they won't keep in touch. No courteous call, no quick e-mail, no nothing. Just one 50-odd second video-text message from the salesman three days after I e-mailed Lexus Customer Services (who haven't replied directly to me) saying it's been delayed again. I'm certainly reconsidering changing dealers once this ongoing saga is at an end, as I do feel very much 'forgotten' by them. I have to say that in the 21 years I've been driving, in this particular respect of ordering a new car, this has been by far the worst experience not just myself, but my family, has ever come across. It'd absolutely the opposite you'd expect from the brand. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

but their service has been outright unpleasant, because there is nothing to be gained from being pleasant. 

I have to disagree....the service departments are constantly monitored for good customer service and customers are selected at random to complete surveys and any subpar marks against dealership result in loss of financial benefits from Lexus/Toyota as it is Toyota who monitor the surveys. This I know for fact as my partner works at a Toyota dealership and she deals with this aspect in her role.....also have to add I have never received anything other than first class service from both the dealerships I use.

• Like 1

Lexus Newcastle have been brilliant as a service customer.  No complaints from me whatsoever.  Seems to be rather hit/miss elsewhere!

Now just need to see if they let me drive an LC500 at my next fuel pipe recall or stick me in a UX….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

stick me in a UX…

I had one last year when my F went in for service at Maidstone and I have to say I was quite surprised at how nippy it was and to be honest I'd have one as a town runabout.

And let's not forget that the car retail market has just undergone (undergoing?) an horrendously difficult sales period, car manufacturing affected badly, few new cars available, and customer incomes unreliable for two years, and now affected by rampant inflation.

It's a foolhardy business that doesn't work hard to trim its overheads during such a protracted period of damaged profitability - and even premium brands are not protected from these issues.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I posted this some time ago elsewhere on the forum....

• Like 1

Think it's a two horse race as one of the three has backed out due to bidding war for dealerships ...plus there is the added complication of Lexus/Toyota service areas being shared with other marques of the Marshalls portfolio...clash of who owns what !!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

I posted this some time ago elsewhere on the forum....

2021 - bought from Motorline

2022 - first service with Marshall

2023 ? 

Same premises, mostly same staff

2 hours ago, Duggie B said:

I have to disagree....the service departments are constantly monitored for good customer service and customers are selected at random to complete surveys and any subpar marks against dealership result in loss of financial benefits from Lexus/Toyota as it is Toyota who monitor the surveys. This I know for fact as my partner works at a Toyota dealership and she deals with this aspect in her role.....also have to add I have never received anything other than first class service from both the dealerships I use.

That is just my experience, maybe it is particular dealerships that I have used, who knows ... perhaps GS-F helps as well?

I have received surveys and over the years ranked experience as mediocre, noting ever changed, so maybe it is just me. 

My ownership experience has been good both with purchase(Guildford) a year ago and sevice(Hedge End) a few weeks ago.

For the service,I phoned Guildford, Swindon and Hedge End.Costs all the same,but Hedge End did LOC discount and sounded much more alert and switched on, so I used them.

My nearest dealer, Reading, couldn't be bothered to answer the phone.... although their body shop Jemca Bracknell were excellent.

1 hour ago, Duggie B said:

…the service departments are constantly monitored for good customer service and customers are selected at random to complete surveys and any subpar marks against dealership result in loss of financial benefits …

I’m not sure about the customer selection being random since I get the email quality questionnaire (usually promptly the same evening) after every service or other job carried out by my dealer, so it is likely that the personnel can easily guess which customers have or have not deprived them of financial benefits.  I understand these benefits are conditional to the average mark received by a dealer in a given number of questionnaires not dropping below 8.5/10, in which event an inspection by Lexus/Toyota will ensue, as it more quickly will if the low mark is accompanied by a number of seriously negative customer comments of an identifiably similar nature.

1 minute ago, DavidCM said:

My ownership experience has been good both with purchase(Guildford) a year ago and sevice(Hedge End) a few weeks ago.

For the service,I phoned Guildford, Swindon and Hedge End.Costs all the same,but Hedge End did LOC discount and sounded much more alert and switched on, so I used them.

My nearest dealer, Reading, couldn't be bothered to answer the phone.... although their body shop Jemca Bracknell were excellent.

All seems very hit and miss as just had 130K service and fuel vent tube recall done at Lexus Reading yesterday and have no complaints with the service I received - very courteous and attentive as usual. Only negative was I couldn't get a courtesy car even with well over a month's notice. Not a big problem this time but I hope it's not a regular issue. I did notice a distinct lack of cars in the showroom though (just two of them). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I’m not sure about the customer selection being random since I get the email quality questionnaire (usually promptly the same evening) after every service or other job carried out by my dealer, so it is likely that the personnel can easily guess which customers have or have not deprived them of financial benefits.  I understand these benefits are conditional to the average mark received by a dealer in a given number of questionnaires not dropping below 8.5/10, in which event an inspection by Lexus/Toyota will ensue, as it more quickly will if the low mark is accompanied by a number of seriously negative customer comments of an identifiably similar nature.

Are you in the UK ?

33 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

perhaps GS-F helps as well?

Not really as the 300 H goes to a different dealer and thus far never had a complaint....others have mentioned not being able to arrange a courtesy car, in my experience it is far better to book car in face to face at the dealership plus I give plenty of notice as to when I need to book car/cars in for mot, service, recall.

3 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Not really as the 300 H goes to a different dealer and thus far never had a complaint....others have mentioned not being able to arrange a courtesy car, in my experience it is far better to book car in face to face at the dealership plus I give plenty of notice as to when I need to book car/cars in for mot, service, recall.

I always speak to the dealer to book a courtesy car for service or mot etc and usually have no problem with a few weeks notice. This was the first time I've not been able to get one without waiting such a long time (over 6 weeks).

Couldn't agree more. Tried to get some tech advice from Lexus Poole initially, was put through to service department, who were busy and said they'd get back to me, they never did. So I tried Bristol and then Exeter, on each and every occasion (3) I tried them, each time was told they were busy and they would get back to me later on in the day, neither of them did, chased them up on three further occasions, and again, not a single reply. Tried Poole and same story. Emailed each dealership via the contact form and have had nothing back from any of them, but the generic 'we've received your email' reply. In the end contacted CSG Motor Co in Buckinghamshire, a second hand Toyota/Lexus dealer and they furnished me with the relevant information on the first phone call. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links