Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dealer Quality - A Natural Decline?

Rabbers

6 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Maybe there is more of an issue with the non UK dealerships ??

No... I had Lexus in other country and actually the service I received there was better than UK. 

21 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Not really as the 300 H goes to a different dealer and thus far never had a complaint....others have mentioned not being able to arrange a courtesy car, in my experience it is far better to book car in face to face at the dealership plus I give plenty of notice as to when I need to book car/cars in for mot, service, recall.

But your 300h was still nearly new? When I book courtesy car I book it based on availability i.e. when booking service if you book "while you wait" it could be next week, if you book it "drop off" then maybe even in 2 days time, and if you book it "via courtesy car" then you may need to wait 3 weeks. So the issue is not notice... but it happened to me twice that I came to get service done and they like "what you waiting for" and I am like "this was service via courtesy car"... and they "ohh sorry, didn't see it we don't have nay at the moment". 

I mean when I had my 3 years old RC services the service was okey... I asked them not to was the car, but they still did... not a massive issue I guess, but there was nothing really special about their service... and they as well forgotten the service plan was included with the sale if the car, so there was awkward moment where they are like "£895 or whatever" and I told them I am not paying 😈 but I guess this is more of the sales guy miscommunication...

10 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Very likely. Just look at The Netherlands, sales are truly abysmal. 412 cars sold last year divided over 11 dealers. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see it does not add up and is heavily loss making. So close the shops and simply add the very very limited Lexus range into Toyota dealers. Sack staff and reduce service. No more investment into Lexus until maybe one day the range is attractive again. Lexus is a dead horse in Europe and is beeing overtaken left, right  and centre by mainly totally new brands. It are these brands that are taken up by the large automotive importers and that is where the money and investment is going. 412 cars in 12 months is just not sustainable. To put things in perspective, Porsche sold 2251 cars in thesame time and BMW is selling 400 cars Per Week... Lexus seems to have missed the boat completely and has turned into a commercial disaster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

No... I had Lexus in other country and actually the service I received there was better than UK. 

But your 300h was still nearly new? When I book courtesy car I book it based on availability i.e. when booking service if you book "while you wait" it could be next week, if you book it "drop off" then maybe even in 2 days time, and if you book it "via courtesy car" then you may need to wait 3 weeks. So the issue is not notice... but it happened to me twice that I came to get service done and they like "what you waiting for" and I am like "this was service via courtesy car"... and they "ohh sorry, didn't see it we don't have nay at the moment". 

I mean when I had my 3 years old RC services the service was okey... I asked them not to was the car, but they still did... not a massive issue I guess, but there was nothing really special about their service... and they as well forgotten the service plan was included with the sale if the car, so there was awkward moment where they are like "£895 or whatever" and I told them I am not paying 😈 but I guess this is more of the sales guy miscommunication...

300H is 5 yrs old so not nearly new. 

Dealers have only a limited number of courtesy cars, so for me at least, my way of booking car in for service work, mot, and having courtesy car available is/has been trouble free and in the main I generally go for Saturdays, also I have done the while you wait option and whiled the time away drinking coffee and eating pastries.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

away drinking coffee and eating pastries.

You see... you dealer is right away better than mine... mine only gives little biscuits and no pastries! 😄

5 years is still relatively new... the worst experience I had was when I servicing 14 years old 160k miles IS250 - but age should not matter right? Customer is customer? 

• Like 2

Just now, Linas.P said:

You see... you dealer is right away better than mine... mine only gives little biscuits and no pastries! 😄

5 years is still relatively new... the worst experience I had was when I servicing 14 years old 160k miles IS250 - but age should not matter right? Customer is customer? 

Customer is the priority no matter what the age of vehicle is. I couldn't agree more...maybe I'm just lucky with my experiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duggie B said:

I had one last year when my F went in for service at Maidstone and I have to say I was quite surprised at how nippy it was and to be honest I'd have one as a town runabout.

I wasn’t too impressed to be honest but I’m probably not the intended market!

For a courtesy car it was fine but I'd be happy with it nonetheless....each to their own I guess ....mind you the RX I got when my F went for recall work was impressive save for the high theft risk!!!

26 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

For a courtesy car it was fine but I'd be happy with it nonetheless....each to their own I guess ....mind you the RX I got when my F went for recall work was impressive save for the high theft risk!!!

Yea, new RX is a nice car, certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at one as the family car.

11 hours ago, Duggie B said:

I doubt if Lexus customers, wherever they are, can realistically argue, even on the basis of occasional or single-dealer cross-border experiences, whether  services are better in some countries than others, or whether dealer issues vary in nature and importance.  No doubt Lexus/Toyota management has standard performance monitoring methods of its own in place through local subsidiaries, and the country-by-country data thereby gathered will in the first instance serve to objectively assess how well or badly individual country managements operate and control the activities of their dealer networks.  As customers we are not privy to this data.  All we know, regardless of country, is that some dealerships reportedly give better service than others, refuting the historical claim that all Lexus dealers provide good service all of the time.  Of course, this benchmark claim was never true and would have been better expressed in terms of likelihoods in respect of Lexus' competitors.  The question is whether these likelihoods are getting slimmer, and if so, why?  As for me - and I believe for most of us -  dealer/customer relations remain good and the service I receive satisfactory,, and long may this last. 

I've been fortunate as the two dealers, Battersea (now closed) and Guildford have been pretty good. The service has been polite and courteous, and they've carried out the required services, with an information video, coffee, biscuits and courtesy car when needed. Can't ask for much more really.

To be honest, I'm more appreciative of the fact that I only have to go once a year for annual service and MOT, with no additional expense, than the more regular visits I made to the garage with my previous Jag. Frankly I'd settle for average service and a car that needs little attention, than being on familiar terms with a dealer because I'm visiting them frequently.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Rabbers said:

I understand these benefits are conditional to the average mark received by a dealer in a given number of questionnaires not dropping below 8.5/10, in which event an inspection by Lexus/Toyota will ensue, as it more quickly will if the low mark is accompanied by a number of seriously negative customer comments of an identifiably similar nature.

They certainly wouldn't like what I've got to say about my experiences with the local dealer at the moment... 

Do not know if it is a natural decline of service, but in 2005 Lexus had a big independent Lexus garage that looked a good deal more impressive than the Toyota next door. Both were having people from Japan there. Luxury service in Toyota, did not then have a Lexus. When we (my wife) decided to get the CT there were no longer any independent Lexus, both Lexus and Toyota were now where the Toyota garage was and, in the exhibition, they were only showing Toyotas. We got the CT and OK no problems; it is a great little car that we can find a parking place to where owners of bigger cars will have problems. So far, no problems with it. Maybe because it has been refined from the first and having all children imperfections removed that often come with new models.

Service in 2005 was far better, but service with Toyota is still not bad and far better than the service we had with Mercedes here on the island a couple of years. If service was better when Lexus was independent here is not for me to say. It probably was. Japanese management is probably superb.

Ive only been to the Lexus dealer one time so far to set up a service plan & I felt like a VIP despite asking for help with a used Lexus which i bought privately, s****y (you cant type sw@nky on here huh!) showroom, coffee, biscuits, greeted at the reception etc, couldnt have been better really. Will go for its major service & fuel vent recall thingy in June, will see if I still feel the same way after that.

Opposite to my VW experience, no one even looks in your direction when you walk in & the showroom is just some random open plan thing with random desks & a few cars scattered around. 

• Like 1

I've had a good few years of dealing with a couple of Midlands dealerships and am about to take delivery of my 5th Car. I've never had any issues either with Sales, or servicing and staff are always friendly, get tea and biscuits and somewhere nice to sit etc.

I do recall talking to a friend before I became a customer though (maybe ten plus years ago) and he was always telling me about "events" he had been invited to. I've never had anything like that so maybe they don't do them anymore

Something I forgot to say on this the other day is that I do very much regret not returning to my second-nearest dealer when it come to placing my current order. Whilst this particular dealer was a little more awkward to get to and the building itself is clearly older, I couldn’t really fault them. Also, unlike my local dealer, I do occasionally receive the odd sales e-mail from them and even service reminders for my UX. I’ve had none of this from my local dealer - where the UX has always been serviced. 

I decided to place my current order with my local dealer for a few reasons. Firstly, it’s only about three miles up the road from my house - therefore much more convenient. Secondly, barring forgetting to reset the service indicator on my UX last time around, they’ve always done a decent, timely service on it. Credit where credit is due. Sadly, their sales team leave an awful lot to be desired.

5 hours ago, Beduffshirl said:

I do recall talking to a friend before I became a customer though (maybe ten plus years ago) and he was always telling me about "events" he had been invited to. I've never had anything like that so maybe they don't do them anymore

Maybe not all dealers offer them, but I get bombarded with letters, phonecalls, texts, emails etc about once a quarter and I doubt I will be buying a new car anytime soon.

My Dealer experience is a bit unusal, as I'd be very unliekly to bother the sales staff for a new car, do all my own servicing and therefore am usually just ordering parts. However, the amount I've sent downrange in just parts is not insignificant.

I've found the dealership staff overall to be friendly and helpful, and the parts desk people (especially those I dealt with when rebuilding the GS) got to being on first name terms and not having to say my name when calling as they knew who I was 😄. They also seemed to genuinely try and get me that extra bit of discount, which was really helpful.

Recently, though, although at the face to face level it's still good, the biggest issue is getting to talk to someone; calling in I've lost count of the number of times that no-one is available, but 'will call you back' but have NEVER done so. At least ten times now, I've had to either go in, or just keep calling until someone actually answers from the parts dept. Not sure why, may be lean staffing, but the 'I'll call you back' followed by crickets is one of my biggest pet hates!

On 4/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Ive only been to the Lexus dealer one time so far to set up a service plan & I felt like a VIP despite asking for help with a used Lexus which i bought privately, s****y (you cant type sw@nky on here huh!) showroom, coffee, biscuits, greeted at the reception etc, couldnt have been better really. Will go for its major service & fuel vent recall thingy in June, will see if I still feel the same way after that.

Opposite to my VW experience, no one even looks in your direction when you walk in & the showroom is just some random open plan thing with random desks & a few cars scattered around. 

Had excellent service on VW for the 2005 2.0tdi DSG we kept till reached close to 200.000km and bought the CT. VW service was superior to the service from Toyota that has service of Lexus since 2009 when Lexus closed their big impressive workshop. Same time (2009) I heard that Toyota also went a bit down compared to when we had a MR2 Spyder we serviced with Toyota. Japanese management left the island and local is far from same quality.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, dutchie01 said:

Very likely. Just look at The Netherlands, sales are truly abysmal. 412 cars sold last year divided over 11 dealers. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see it does not add up and is heavily loss making. So close the shops and simply add the very very limited Lexus range into Toyota dealers. Sack staff and reduce service. No more investment into Lexus until maybe one day the range is attractive again. Lexus is a dead horse in Europe and is beeing overtaken left, right  and centre by mainly totally new brands. It are these brands that are taken up by the large automotive importers and that is where the money and investment is going. 412 cars in 12 months is just not sustainable. To put things in perspective, Porsche sold 2251 cars in thesame time and BMW is selling 400 cars Per Week... Lexus seems to have missed the boat completely and has turned into a commercial disaster.

I am sorry to say that there are very few new Lexus cars that attract me. I don't want electric or CVT and cannot afford a new RCF or similar ICE. I must stick to used cars for the moment or maybe go Kia Stinger or ( god forbid ) Mustang.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:51 AM, Mike_Mac said:

Recently, though, although at the face to face level it's still good, the biggest issue is getting to talk to someone; calling in I've lost count of the number of times that no-one is available, but 'will call you back' but have NEVER done so. At least ten times now, I've had to either go in, or just keep calling until someone actually answers from the parts dept. Not sure why, may be lean staffing, but the 'I'll call you back' followed by crickets is one of my biggest pet hates!

Unfortunately relatable. I’ve had that happen a couple of times this year, so far...

However yes, in their defence they’ve generally been decent if you’ve physically gone into the showroom.

• Like 1

IMHO many UK dealerships (of all marques) are a little bit crap. I have had some horror stories over the years. Imagine a main dealer selling a used car with less than four miles of fuel left in the tank? Disgraceful. These companies are about profit, and not much else.

Remember the IS250 airbag recall from a few years ago? My local Lexus dealer did a shoddy job of lifting the dashboard, leaving a raised area near the windscreen, and damaging the dashboard material in other places. The dashboard is now starting to crack in exactly the same places.  The dealer in question is part of a multi-marque operation. They are diluted, without any doubt.

Another problem is the demise of many independent garages, leaving us with very little choice. Do I choose the massively overpriced main dealer, who will do an average job, or choose the independent garage whose manager swears at customers? Hmmm

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, unfortunately there is definitely a dramatic downward change with regards to some Lexus Dealerships.

I have to say that Swindon branch where I used to get my IS250 serviced and recall work done are brilliant in everyway and really excelled in both their attitude and the work that they did.

However my personal direct experience of two other dealerships has been really infuriating and costly!

I am currently in the middle of a huge issue regarding an RC300H 2019 that I bought a month ago from a main Lexus dealer.  I will not go into details on the specific branch as I have reported them twice to Lexus HQ for the sales guy clearly misleading me and for them NOT working to or knowing the Lexus servicing schedules; I will not name them as trying to resolve amicably.

As soon as (if) this is all resolved I will explain fully but for now all I will say is that while I have a Lexus I will only ever use Swindon for servicing and repairs, although it is over an hour from where I live they have always been honest and straight with me and really do all they can to act / represent a Premium brand as it should be represented.

I became a loyal / avid Lexus fan over the past 7 years but sadly my current experience has made me think that I will never buy another Lexus in the future or at the very least never buy from a main dealer and only use Swindon for work required.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links