43 minutes ago, DJT said:

will check later on brake bulbs

you need someone to tell you if it's working when you press the pedal tho  😅

Malc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

you need someone to tell you if it's working when you press the pedal tho  😅

Malc

Malc, obviously you never figured out the "reverse close to a wall" trick then? 🤣🤣

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

you never figured out

nope, I've always seemingly had another person, even as competent as me, alongside to help and advise  🤩

Malc

Malc1 and bigboomer if no one around or suitable wall I have put a heavy weight on brake pedal. Plastic toolbox is good for this as it doesn't mark or catch on carpet. Do have another pedal aid for brake lights. Got the concrete block out of an old washing machine. Very smooth exterior and plenty of weight. 

• Like 1

Piece of wood, cut down broom handle, poly pipe, one end on the pedal the other on the front of the seat squab with a cloth wrapped around it.

Move seat forward to depress pedal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Piece of wood, cut down broom handle, poly pipe, one end on the pedal the other on the front of the seat squab with a cloth wrapped around it.

you can tell hes an engineer! priceless!

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Piece of 3 x 2 is what I use  and the same method. When I did the front discs and pads a few weeks ago I jacked the front up, put all the axles stands in place then realised I hadn’t loosened the wheel nuts. Nobody to help and stand on the brakes so out came the piece of 3 x 2,  works a treat.

17 hours ago, Malc1 said:

blimey, surely it's simpler to ask absolutely anyone passing by to take a look !  😉

Malc

Or park close to a wall so you can see the reflected tail/brake/indicator/reversing lights in the rear view mirror.
Personally I use my white garage door. but have previously used brick walls and even other cars to reflect the lights.

aha, I have to park my cars in the road ....  not so easy as my partner just taking a peek 🤩

or i could drive to the local tesco carpark and use their wall  ....  jeez, my partner's got eyes to see ok ...  let's keep it simple

Malc

There again you could place your phone behind the car and record as video then watch to see if all the lights come on.

Once you are happy you can then put it on tik tok/Facebook/YouTube where it could go viral and people will then stop you in the street wanting to check your brake lights and have a selfie taken with you 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most modern car designs remind me of this...

Original Cylon from Battlestar Galactica (1978) : spaceopera

Or vehicle designs from Judge Dredd..

Remember the Judge Dredd Land Rover? - autoevolution

Trying to make everything 'mean' and  'aggressive' looking from all angles.  

I wonder if these are the results of influences on designers when they were younger??? Although I think maybe I'm too old to understand that 🙂

• Haha 1

Hi everyone have carried out brake light check no bulbs out. Have had a quote from a lexus dealer for all work that I would like carried out. Not as bad as I feared. Still not cheap. Having a 100,000 mile/10 year service. Will attach costings and what is covered in 100,000 mile service and cost of additional parts. From what is on list should cover everything that is likely to give a problem

I have spoken to our Service Department and the prices for the 100,000 miles/10-year service and the other repairs are quoted below. The prices assume that the additional items are carried out at the same time as the service as some labour savings are included in these prices: 

100,000-mile service which includes a timing belt and coolant change - £955.25 including VAT

Timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys - £395.33 including VAT 

(If replaced during the 100k service)

Water Pump - £363.56 including VAT

(if replaced during the 100k service)

Radiator - £683.39 including VAT

A brake check would be included as part of the Vehicle Health Check which is carried out during the service and any repairs necessary would be estimated at this time.

We would require the vehicle for two days in order to complete the repairs.

Price for 100K/120 service is £770

• Carry out 100K/120 month full service as per schedule.
  • Includes:- Replace engine oil & oil filter.
  • Inspect drive belt.
  • Replace engine timing belt.
  • Replace windscreen washer fluid.
  • Check all fluid levels & top up as required.
  • Inspect Battery for leaks, security of clamps & terminals.
  • Inspect cooling system, hoses & connections.
  • Inspect radiator & condenser for debris & signs of damage.
  • Replace engine coolant.
  • Inspect air filter element.
  • Inspect valve clearances.
  • Inspect power steering fluid level.
  • Replace brake fluid.
  • Inspect brake pads & discs.
  • Check brake pipes & hoses.
  • Inspect fuel cap, fuel lines & connections.
  • Replace rear differential oil.
  • Inspect steering wheel, gear & linkages.
  • Inspect drive shafts including CV boots.
  • Inspect ball joints & dust covers.
  • Inspect wheel bearings.
  • Inspect wheel alignment.
  • Inspect front & rear suspension.
  • Inspect for under vehicle and under hood fluid leaks.
  • Check exhaust system for security & leaks.
  • Check all tyre pressures (including spare if equipped).
  • Check wheel rims for damage & tighten wheel nuts to correct torque.
  • Check operation of hand brake.
  • Check brake pedal travel.
  • Check operation of lights, horns, wipers & washers.
  • Check function of all warning lights.
  • Inspect glass and light lenses.
  • Replace pollen filter.
  • Check seat belts for damage & operation.
  • Check operation of alarm system.
  • Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Replace remote control Battery.
  • Carry out wash & vacuum.
  • Carry out visual safety report.
  • Certainly a very through check if every item listed is checked. 
  • Views or opinions most welcome. 
  • Only other quote I have received is £1048 for list below

Cambelt and Water Pump

Postcode: KW14ND

Car reg: KJ04AED

Edit job

Additional work

Radiator; hand brake check.

• Like 1

Initially when I looked through the quote I thought it was expensive but having checked the retail prices it’s not too bad when it includes labour and I would assume sundries such as gaskets and fluids.

Just another thought, as a LOC Gold member have you asked the dealer for a discount? Even 10% would be a significant saving or to look at it another way and more satisfying half the VAT back.

Finally it all depends on what they find during the service checks as to whether there may be additional costs, the favourite “Your brake pads are below recommended thickness by 0.27mm”

• Like 2

The main issue for you is your location late last year I had the timing belt all tensioners water pump and regas for the air con  Total £ 620.

I used a local independant with a good reputation and sourced genuine Lexus parts from the UAE for £250.The work is warranted because I sourced genuine Lexus parts. The labour part with regas was £370,of which regas £76.

The work you will get done at Lexus will be warranted and you will get free cups of coffee in a very nice waiting area but  as I have said many times somebody as to pay for that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DJT said:

which includes a timing belt and coolant change

This is surely the auxillary belt, old style fan belt  ?

11 hours ago, DJT said:

Water Pump - £363.56 including VAT

(if replaced during the 100k service)

Radiator - £683.39 including VAT

and these look jolly expensive too compared to that which an independent would be charging AND getting the parts from , say maybe LexusPartsDirect ( I might have this totally wrong as i haven't checked their prices )

BUT you're in the hands of whoever's doing the job

Also you don't mention spark plugs ...........  that's a huge'ish job in itself if they need changing  8 x plugs and at least 1.5 hrs labour ?

Good luck

Malc

David..  my very first Ls400  J54DAP  many many years back, I just used my local reputable garage workplace that I had used in my car sales business .....  to do the cambelt, waterpump etc change

They had never done one before BUT I had the confidence in them to do the job thoroughly and well ....  and of course they did .........  it's not " rocket science " and a competent mechanic should be able to do the job ok

Good luck however finding your local people

Malc

6 hours ago, DJT said:

Ambermarine you hit nail on head. Finding someone to carry out the work. 

Contact Lexus Bolton - talk to Darren Manning and get a price - book it in - drive down to Bolton - drop car off - stay in a hotel or B&B for a day or two - pick the car up when it’s all done and drive home happy. If you do that, I’ll meet up with you and go for a beer or two in Bolton😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links