Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tape cassette . comes of age ..... Ls400

Just reading today that of all physical music sold today  5.2% is NEW tape cassette  ....  us golden oldies with our Ls400s are now ahead of the game  .....  as ever of course 🤩

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a Nakamichi radio with cassette player. No autoreverse. Want to hear the other side - tape out and turn around. Good sound then.

Miss this:

image.thumb.png.fb2e15c2b268627385ac98c3c148b888.png

You need to understand Scandinavian in order to understand how funny this is about how sound evolved to how it is today:

Michael is the guy behind much of the Abba sound.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I bought my first car for £50 - then put in the first auto-reverse cassette player by PYE! That was £40!

Did it double the value of the car?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Did it double the value of the car?

Sadly no! I used the car in North London. It just sat on a shelf under the dash. My security was to cover it with a yellow duster!  It worked! Never had it stolen until I put it into another car! I presume thieves thought a 1961 Ford Anglia was not worth looking at!

• Like 1

A right bunch of old fuddy-duddys 🤣
My 430 has a cassette player as does my home HiFi stack, but I still prefer to play MP3s via Bluetooth because it's just easier,... and WAY better sound quality.
As for 8-tracks and such antiques, anyone got an Edison Cylinder player in their Model-T? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

As for 8-tracks and such antiques, anyone got an Edison Cylinder player in their Model-T? 🤣

Malc, probably, has.  😁

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

in their Model-T

when i had my car sales business on the Romney Marsh many moons back we did actually have a model T  Ford for sale  .........  no music mode tho' sadly ........

Malc

1 minute ago, cdmaskell said:

Excellent.  Was that due to a lack of valves?

not sure the starting handle would fit the player .............. had there been one ...........  did they have handles to play musical instruments then .....  or am I thinking of a 78 records player .......  my memory's a little sparse from that time sadly .......

I remember my father-in-law bought an 8 track which he swore by ............... in his older cars in those times  ...... a G  ( 1968 ? )  reg Ford Capri, and an Austin Maxi  ....  J reg ?

He thought the ordinary tape cassettes were a bit sad by comparison 

Malc

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I bought my first car for £50 - then put in the first auto-reverse cassette player by PYE! That was £40!

My first company car had MW/LW radio, got that sorted by having a tape player with that new fangled thing called FM.  Still got 600 cassettes in my study, and a decent home player, but for the car now addicted to using a Smart Phone with Neutron player and 10,000 tracks on the go. Do have some original John Peel sessions on cassette, and one day might digitise them, but never enough time to do the usual, let alone the not really necessary.

• Like 4

My first "HiFi" on a motor vehicle was a radio-cassette player I fitted to my fully faired Kawasaki Z1300 back in 1984/85.
I fitted the guts from some headphones and a microphone inside my helmet and the sound quality was adequate.
I gave up on cassettes after it ate the 3rd one. I assume that being installed vertically to a motorcycle was the cause of the problems.
I quickly got bored of retuning on FM since I travelled a LOT (170,000Km in 15 months) so I almost always ended up on BBC2 on LW or Radio Luxembourg on MW.
I also had a multi-mode CB radio fitted (ahhh, that's why you fitted a microphone) as it was a good way to know of traffic problems ahead and have the occasional chat to relieve the boredom of 10+ hours per day in the saddle.
Still, for a boring job (long distance motorcycle courier) it did pay VERY well. 😁

8 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Radio Luxembourg

blimey, I remember huddled around the radio ..  ( with those valves probably ) back in the long past days ........... trying to listen to Radio Luxemburg ..  was it then the ONLY music channel ?

Malc

and I rarely played cassette tapes as above, they invariably got chewed up and spat out in a mess 🤑

The first radio I fitted to my A35 van was one from a pals Ford can't remember the model. It consisted of a large black box containing valves and a thick cable from said box to a  tuner display unit. All rather large but worked well. Amazing what you do when you're a broke 17yr old.  Recently used my tape player to listen to my late brother's tape from when he was a professional entertainer, quite a treat.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links