Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Tailgate

Getting intermittent creaking as the tailgate closes. Not every time now and again. I think i mentioned this last year it started during that really hot spell heatwave. Doesn't sound good actually when it happens. I put it down to extreme heat last year I've heard it a few times over last couple of months. I think it comes from the struts predominately the left one. Any of you good folk on here experienced this.

Strangely enough mine did it today and like you mine was doing it last year in the hot spell,and yes it does not sound good at all.Mine goes in for its service soon so I will mention it and see what they say.

• Like 1

yes, mine is doing it again in the warm weather-quite noisy.

Both the struts were replaced last year at dealers under warranty..

Seems like a common issue.

There is no noise in cooler weather.

not sure whether to take any action.

• Like 1

I've had the odd 'clunk' from one of the struts as I press the button to close it but to be honest, it's only happened a handful of times in it’s life. Certainly less than ten. It's not resulted in any issues and yes, it's only happened on really hot days and I just assumed it was down to heat. I've never bothered mentioning it to the dealer as it doesn’t seem worth it. 

Besides, with any luck the car will be going at some point in September so it seems pointless doing anything about it now!

It could be the plastic casing of the struts expanding in the heat.If you stand outside your house when the sun comes out,listen to the amount of creaking from plastic guttering.

• Like 1

Mine has done it once this week. It did it several times last summer but not in 2021. Last year I rubbed the struts with a light oil using a finger and just a small amount of oil and it stopped. If it persists this summer I’ll do it again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, P M R said:

Anyone had this issue investigated and resolved

Im in for a service next month and mentioned it when i booked asked that they look at it and the alarm which went off the other night it sounded just once for about 4 times all at once.

The tailgate is mostly plastic on a metal frame.  Like David, I tend to think it will creak either in different temperatures or twisting.  I’ve not got mine yet but I’ll listen for said creak.  

IMG_0828.png

On 5/22/2023 at 10:34 PM, ALAW said:

Getting intermittent creaking as the tailgate closes. Not every time now and again. I think i mentioned this last year it started during that really hot spell heatwave. Doesn't sound good actually when it happens. I put it down to extreme heat last year I've heard it a few times over last couple of months. I think it comes from the struts predominately the left one. Any of you good folk on here experienced this.

Brent would a little drop of synthetic Motor oil Smeared on the struts Help..Or alternatively What i use..WD40 Just a little Though..!!!

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Brent would a little drop of synthetic Motor oil Smeared on the struts Help..Or alternatively What i use..WD40 Just a little Though..!!!

Thanks Ronnie yeah I've thought of this in fact i was only looking at some today i have in the garage and i have WD40 and some silicone spray. Waiting now to see what the dealer says when in for service.

• Like 1

I would love to have an automatic rear tailgate on my UX but it poses a lot of issues in my opinion. Yes its convenient to have especially when you loading things in your boot but with the boot size of the UX you cant really fill up your boot without obstructing the rear tailgate to close. And it expensive to replaced as the motor is built in the shocks itself ( covered by warranty maybe). And the noise that everyone experiencing. 
Since 2024 all models would have automatic rear tailgate  i would probably retrofit mine at some point so at the moment woild still be doing the old pushing down of the boot.  Lol

I’ve had 2 NXs, the 2020 model was slow but never made any noise and the second 2022 model had the later set up which was much faster and virtually silent motors.  Neither creaked or squeaked nor do they on the Yaris Cross I’m running now. The Cross has got a kick sensor which I’ve found very helpful and use it all the time.  

12 hours ago, nivlem said:

... Since 2024 all models would have automatic rear tailgate  i would probably retrofit mine at some point so at the moment woild still be doing the old pushing down of the boot.  Lol

Not sure what model you have, but I test drove a 2019 Takumi and that had a kick sensor to open the rear tailgate.

7 hours ago, stepppy said:

Not sure what model you have, but I test drove a 2019 Takumi and that had a kick sensor to open the rear tailgate.

They’ve dropped it on the latest update.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links