Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

a rubberised protective cover for the unit .  used to be expensive as bespoke for the car but now they produce a universal adjustable type unit covering ..  mine on my Ls400 cost £40 " all-up " a few months back

Malc

So it’s the rubber insulator/concertina protector for the standard shock absorbers in the screen shot below then?
This doesn’t apply to the air suspension shocks/struts for the LS430, the rubber protection is all part of the shock/strut. Or have I got it wrong?

IMG_0490.thumb.jpeg.23aac2839ecbb29b31b9f4bfc826fd5c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

So it’s the rubber insulator/concertina protector for the standard shock absorbers in the screen shot below then?
This doesn’t apply to the air suspension shocks/struts for the LS430, the rubber protection is all part of the shock/strut. Or have I got it wrong?

This doesn't apply to the air strut.

2 hours ago, VFR said:

The RX450h MK3 is clearly the best, no doubt about it by any measures so if considering a Lexus then this is the one for sure.

Just get my coat and quietly step out.    😗

I would have an RX sitting on my drive rather than a Volvo if the rear tailgate didn't slope so steeply. We have a very tall dog, and after comparing the two cars the Lexus sadly lost out due to the above.

34 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Oh right yes, I hadn't thought that thru fully#

#Just as well i love my Ls400 then 

Malc

Thinking more about this  ..............  as the MOT might just say the " dust covers " are kaput ......  and understanding the apparent flexibility of the modern day equivalent of the general dust cover ......  might it be as simple as modifying a new general dust cover to fit over the apparent kaput one's rather than spending out £'000s to replace perfectly good main units underneath the dust covers !

Just a thought

Malc

I hadn't looked at the MOT history for the car until yesterday, it's usually the first thing I do and don't know why I didn't.

Dust covers - track rod end or tie rod ball joint covers - new ties rods approx £100 for both sides delivered from Amayama - no big deal.
New front tyres needed - outer wear maybe caused by tie rods or bottom ball joints or other suspension bits - could turn out to be expensive
Offside front shock absorber reduced damping effect - this could be very expensive and depends on what MOT tester means by 'reduced damping effect'.
So £6k could turn into £10k very quickly.

image.thumb.png.acc4ee507f17fa82b86ddae27a1aa5a4.png

25 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Paul, you did go see the car then ?

Malc

No I didn't, couldn't go to see it yesterday. I can maybe go and see it at the weekend, 200 mile round trip though so will need to think about it.
The air strut thing on the MOT has put me off a bit to be honest, the condition of the car got me interested and I didn't look at the MOT history to start with.
Buying a car without any air strut issues and being prepared for the inevitable issues in the future is one thing, buying a car with existing air strut issues is another thing.
I think £6k is too much for me, even £5k is too much, given the air strut thing and the other stuff.
My head says at £3k it's probably worth a punt, because the condition looks really good, but not likely to get the car at that price.

1 hour ago, Razor61 said:

because the condition looks really good

as I said prior, the photos are taken in all sorts of sun and shade, maybe on purpose, maybe not BUT I'd also be concerned to look at delamination too 

We are blessed with our Ls400s methinks !

Malc

• Like 1

@BigBoomer hit it (the nail off course and not the car, hopefully) on the head. That, "to you (ls400) be yours the best and me (LS430) be mine the best". Having said that, the LS430 is obviously the best. I have evidence...

20230803_234039.thumb.jpg.93bc17419a8cdbaf087b8cb7ab9d6cf6.jpg

Now before anyone gets (more) upset. I'll just say two things. Firstly, I doubt you could parralel park an LS400 like that. Secondly, ain't them LS400 just so ugly 😆

I mean, my mate Sarwar at the the Auto Factors/Uddersfield had his LS400 for almost 10 years. I'd always drive/cycle past wondering the two things. Firstly, how the frig does some so small drive such a 'great/big' car. Secondly how does he afford the petrol on his wages when I'm struggling with my 2.0, (then 2.4 and maybe even the 3.0). Thirdly (I know... trying to be respectable) and most importantly... How'd one drive such an ugly looking car 😆

Obviously I thought similar about the LS430, but I find with all cars. Once bought/owned, the more you squint at em, the more they grow on you (cycle commuter at heart)... Anyway, lovely cars and I also got the LS430 after CCN making that vid.

I was just so glad he never chose the 400 as I could'nae lived wi' maa'self looking at that ugly thing (sorry again 😆) and it'd never parralel park like the 430 (did I say that already!!).

Frigging window delam!!!

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:37 PM, Razor61 said:

Oh... and can't we just have a simple LS430 appreciation discussion without bringing in the suspension. Just pretend it's not there on at least one thread (this one). 🫣

• Haha 1

yep, buy one without the air stuff, they are around but rare coz they were the cheapy version ...🤣  .  oh, and the steering rake that's quite fine ... mine cost a 20p steel washer to fix after 245k miles .....  the Ls430 might cost a tad more, well, up to a couple of £££ grand I've been reading on here over the years 😥

Parallel parking in my Mk3 is a doddle tbh ..  guess that depends on the driver maybe ? 😇

Malc

• Haha 1

Not gonna enter into the suspension discussion Malc 😆 (to keep the thread pure from it) but will on the rake adjust. Mine is broken after some minor repairs. At least it still pulls out/in.

Nice driving (would expect nothing less from someone of your caliber 😊). Oh, rare but cheapy version - that'll be mine 😉 

• Haha 1

A Tank Avg. of 35.1 is VERY impressive. I've never even come close to that.
My personal high was 28.4MPG whilst on my way to the Dordogne at 130Khp on the péages.

Many moons ago I rode my GTR1000 to a bike rally at Witton Castle.
The traffic was super dense but we were running at 55-65 the whole way up the A1.
For some reason the stupids had stayed at home that weekend so there were no accidents and everyone was driving considerately. Bit of as miracle day really!! 🤣
For the first time ever I managed over 50Mpg on a bike that normally got 42Mpg.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links