Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A reliable, cheap (and cheap to run) second car

Mincey

Learned forum friends, next year I shall be travelling to various hostelries in Cambridgeshire and the surrounding counties in my capacity as the bass player in a local band. Having seen some of the venues that I'm likely to be visiting, the parking is not entirely Betsy-friendly. I was thinking therefore of getting a "Gig-Car". Something smallish so it's easy to park in confined spaces and of an age where if it gets scratched by a drunken punter, I won't go all axe-wielding homicidal maniac until I find the culprit. Any thoughts on suitable contenders? I was wondering about a Yaris, i20, Kia Ceed or something of that ilk. It just need to be able to transport me, a bass guitar or two and two speaker cabinets so a folding back seat would be spot on.

27 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I’d highly recommend a Honda Jazz. Reliable, economical and amazingly spacious. 

I second this. We have this as a 2nd car and if it were the only car we had I am confident it would not leave us wanting for more. Its got oodles of space with its clever magic seats the engine is peppy enough (the 1.4 at least) and for basic transport its simply great! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I’d highly recommend a Honda Jazz. Reliable, economical and amazingly spacious. 

I’ll ‘third’ this. With the ‘magic seats’ from (about) 2005 onwards they’re superb on space and reliable as well. I can’t see one being a theft magnet either, unless there’s an eighty year-old car thief looking for a thrill… 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be looking at something for less than £6k - there seem to be some reasonable looking Jazzes, Mazda2's and Yari around for that with lowish (less than 100k!) miles on the clock. Thanks for the advice everyone - much food for thought there. 

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

I'd be looking at something for less than £6k - there seem to be some reasonable looking Jazzes, Mazda2's and Yari around for that with lowish (less than 100k!) miles on the clock. Thanks for the advice everyone - much food for thought there. 

Not Japanese, and don’t shoot me, but…for a totally unremarkable and practical ‘gig’ car what about a Dacia Sandero? Old Renault tech, so all of the gremlins long since ironed out. My understanding is they’re robust because they’re simple - Dacia’s business model can’t soak up lots of warranty claims! 

For about £6k maximum you’d be looking at a 2018/19 car with 40-60k miles, as well as the approval of James May. 😆

I’ll get my coat…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Not Japanese, and don’t shoot me, but…for a totally unremarkable and practical ‘gig’ car what about a Dacia Sandero? Old Renault tech, so all of the gremlins long since ironed out. My understanding is they’re robust because they’re simple - Dacia’s business model can’t soak up lots of warranty claims! 

For about £6k maximum you’d be looking at a 2018/19 car with 40-60k miles, as well as the approval of James May. 😆

I’ll get my coat…

One of my colleagues bought a Sandero - he had no choice at the time as nobody had any new cars (this was Covid time). He seemed to like it. It was finished in that awful Audi-style primer finish thought. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mincey said:

One of my colleagues bought a Sandero - he had no choice at the time as nobody had any new cars (this was Covid time). He seemed to like it. It was finished in that awful Audi-style primer finish thought. 

I think they make the most sense in the ultra poverty spec - flat white paint, steel wheels with no trims, black plastic bumpers…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I think they make the most sense in the ultra poverty spec - flat white paint, steel wheels with no trims, black plastic bumpers…

The 1.2 / 1.3 (?) non turbo is a basic choice which I would prefer. I like the style of the Duster but the reliability would put me off.

59 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The 1.2 / 1.3 (?) non turbo is a basic choice which I would prefer. I like the style of the Duster but the reliability would put me off.

Dacia came tenth out of 32 brands in the What Car? Survey last year. Ahead of Honda surprisingly. And Subaru.

In the super mini category the Yaris was third bottom! Other than that no real surprises in the survey. German brands generally rubbish, Lexus generally excellent.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-what-car-reliability-survey-brands/n23418

• Thanks 1

Really? a bass player in a band showing up in a yaris? Come on Mincey THIS is what you need, add some rock and roll into it!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309061610494?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&make=Chrysler&model=300C&page=1&postcode=bt364rb&fromsra

( paint it matte black with a brush)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Really? a bass player in a band showing up in a yaris? Come on Mincey THIS is what you need, add some rock and roll into it!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309061610494?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&make=Chrysler&model=300C&page=1&postcode=bt364rb&fromsra

He never said it was a rock band. He might be a bass player in a folk outfit…in which case an old Beetle would be fitting! 

...turn up in a 300C with blacked out windows and people will think the guitar case is like Antonio Banderas in Desperado 😇

Depending on the venues that may indeed be wise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Love it!

11 hours ago, Mincey said:

My BiL - a 6’ plus, 14 stone, ex-Saracen’s rugby player with a dodgy knee - is now on his second successive used Yaris.  This one’s an auto.

As he is a nightmare to sell anything too, I can only assume that it is quite a good motor.  Indeed, the very fact that he bought a second Yaris at all is a substantial recommendation.  In the few times I’ve been in it, I’ve been quite impressed.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

It's a bit big! Some of these pub car parks are tiny 🙂 I do like the idea though....

On 9/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, Mincey said:

Learned forum friends, next year I shall be travelling to various hostelries in Cambridgeshire and the surrounding counties in my capacity as the bass player in a local band. Having seen some of the venues that I'm likely to be visiting, the parking is not entirely Betsy-friendly. I was thinking therefore of getting a "Gig-Car". Something smallish so it's easy to park in confined spaces and of an age where if it gets scratched by a drunken punter, I won't go all axe-wielding homicidal maniac until I find the culprit. Any thoughts on suitable contenders? I was wondering about a Yaris, i20, Kia Ceed or something of that ilk. It just need to be able to transport me, a bass guitar or two and two speaker cabinets so a folding back seat would be spot on.

Hi I sell fiestas and would rate them as the yaris. In 10 months only put one claim on a fiesta .(over 50 sold)  Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links