Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ludicrous!

NemesisUK

Sat at traffic lights, HGV on the inside line, me in the centre and a white Tesla in the outside. A long shallow left curve ahead, no traffic.

Lights change and ..... gone! The Tesla just, well, went. Just a dot in the distance. I was still breathing in, ready to move off!

My first experience in the real world of what must have been Ludicrous mode. First time I'd seen a Tesla driven anything other than steadily. He wasn't eking out the last mile from the Battery that's for sure! 

Impressive ...

• Like 1

It does worry me what will happen to accident rates when these electric cars with such acceleration become cheap enough on the second hand market and available to boy racers with little real driving skills!

• Like 2

Recently drove a dual motor Model3 and the acceleration was indeed insane!  It wasn't just the pure speed but the instance response to pressing the pedal that was very impressive.

My Stinger is hardly slow but this thing felt in a different league..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

No question about it.  Still, if he makes a habit of it I’d be interested to know how long his tyres last.

EVs tend to eat tyres anyway but this getaway was even more impressive due the complete silence, no tyre squeal nothing! 

It may be just general acceleration, because even without the Ludicrous mode it is still low 4s. 

That said I believe it degrades Battery, not only tyres and you can't repeat it very often as batteries needs time to cool down.

It is kind of funny to think that I am saying such speed is unnecessary in the car (the same guy who said IS300h is dangerously slow and unacceptable), but I truly think that - even back then I said 5-6s is all I need from the car for enjoyable driving, but when acceleration get's to sub-4s, sub-3s I just don't really see the utility of it. Same as I can't see the utility of more than 150-160MPH on road car. I have gone faster myself, but that is once in lifetime event and you not going to be doing it daily, certainly not something useful. Sure show off once or twice, but otherwise it just results in your passengers shaiting their pants and spilling their drinks on your fake white vegetable leather interior... and things flying around in the car. As well I guess I get it in sleek sport coupe, but in 7 seat SUV?! Or maybe I am just getting old, soon I will be defending IS300h acceleration in other subsection of the forum 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry guys you just don't get it do you?

Fast acceleration is nice but in an electric box it is one dimensional boring. What about the whole experience - the sound and feel of the V8. The character. The change through the gears. The good feeling from being able to control the car correctly. The isF compared to the electric box is like fine Opera compared to Showaddywaddy.

I don't want a clinical, soulless, car. I want the theatre and the experience of a real car with real character. I love my isF but I think I love my motorbike just as well - I would have said more but I don't want to upset the isF- . Now ( motorcycling) that is a real feeling of satisfaction when you get it right.  God forbid you get it wrong!🏍️😱

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It may be just general acceleration, because even without the Ludicrous mode it is still low 4s. 

That said I believe it degrades battery, not only tyres and you can't repeat it very often as batteries needs time to cool down.

It is kind of funny to think that I am saying such speed is unnecessary in the car (the same guy who said IS300h is dangerously slow and unacceptable), but I truly think that - even back then I said 5-6s is all I need from the car for enjoyable driving, but when acceleration get's to sub-4s, sub-3s I just don't really see the utility of it. Same as I can't see the utility of more than 150-160MPH on road car. I have gone faster myself, but that is once in lifetime event and you not going to be doing it daily, certainly not something useful. Sure show off once or twice, but otherwise it just results in your passengers shaiting their pants and spilling their drinks on your fake white vegetable leather interior... and things flying around in the car. As well I guess I get it in sleek sport coupe, but in 7 seat SUV?! Or maybe I am just getting old, soon I will be defending IS300h acceleration in other subsection of the forum 😄 

Is the order in for the UX?

• Haha 1

Been in one doing just that and I think I may have a video ?

Anyway yes it is quick but also soulless (IMO) as nothing sounds like a V8 through a nice exhaust.

Having said that I do like to listen to mine on a cold morning as it purrs on start up before the ECU says enough (miserable bugger)

I used to like telephoning home from the call box near work..

Pick up the receiver, systematically select the numbers on the circular dial, and listen to the staccatto chatter of the pulses as it wound back - ready for the next number.

And when my parent answered their 'phone, pressing button 'A' to release the two pennies, hear them tumble into the cash box - and then start my conversation

Mobiles today just aren't the same 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

with the Tesla acceleration and speed .  has anyone told the birds and creatures inhabiting that road space .  let alone some pedestrians and children .  that they will, at some stage just get ploughed down and annihilated with some drivers carelessness .......  wanton or not !

Doesn't seem much respect for the road space environment with that Tesla performance tbh

Malc

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Illogan said:

I used to like telephoning home from the call box near work..

Pick up the receiver, systematically select the numbers on the circular dial, and listen to the staccatto chatter of the pulses as it wound back - ready for the next number.

And when my parent answered their 'phone, pressing button 'A' to release the two pennies, hear them tumble into the cash box - and then start my conversation

Mobiles today just aren't the same 😉

You put coins in ?

Most just tapped the phone and it connected.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VFR said:

Most just tapped the phone and it connected.

depends on the era of course  .....  Press Button A  .......... or B to retrieve your tuppence or so

999 was of course always free

Malc

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Sat at traffic lights, HGV on the inside line, me in the centre and a white Tesla in the outside. A long shallow left curve ahead, no traffic.

Lights change and ..... gone! The Tesla just, well, went. Just a dot in the distance. I was still breathing in, ready to move off!

My first experience in the real world of what must have been Ludicrous mode. First time I'd seen a Tesla driven anything other than steadily. He wasn't eking out the last mile from the battery that's for sure! 

Impressive ...

Frankly.. I Don,t Think There,s Anything IMPRESSIVE about it..What if Something unforseen had Happened ? JETMAN Might have Caused an Accident with his Driving Attitude. Absolutely NO consideration for other drivers Except Showing off.. Yes every driver can put there foot down But at Lights On what probably was a busy road.. Dashman Is An ABSOLUTE  Disgrace Driving Like that And certainly won,t impress the Majority of members In This Forum .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

It does worry me what will happen to accident rates when these electric cars with such acceleration become cheap enough on the second hand market and available to boy racers with little real driving skills!

I'm sure the insurance companies will be gleefully looking at how much they can raise their premiums by as accident rates start and to become "related" to acceleration... The boy racers will soon be priced out from owning any EV with a single digit 0-60mph acceleration in the same way as hot hatches went. Or perhaps the insurance companies will invent a black box that limits power delivery for new drivers - can't be that hard for EVs. At the moment the number of EVs is probably too small with a more affluent (careful?) demographic to have such data on but within a few years I'm sure they will have the data to backup the rise in premiums.

• Like 2

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel the point has been missed by some here.

Whether or not it is advisable/legal/moral doesn't make it any less technically impressive.  I do think you need to experience it for yourself before you can appreciate what it is like.

And before anyone says the speed isn't necessary, I am not talking about the overall acceleration as much as the instant response that you get when you press the pedal.  My wife's EV is by no means quick (200ish bhp) but the reaction to the accelerator being pressed at any speed - especially from a standstill - is still impressive.  It actually make town driving easier as well, especially with the 1 pedal driving mode when the brake pedal isn't required to stop.

As far as the overall power of some EV's, like the Tesla's mentioned, you could argue that all performance cars are the same regardless of how they generate their power.  So, to those who mention potential accidents or too much power, the same could be said for all petrol powered performance cars as well.  Just because EV's tend to accelerate faster than the average car doesn't mean they will be doing it every chance they get.  Are you telling me that those with performance cars don't put their foots down once in a while?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

But at Lights On what probably was a busy road..

17 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

A long shallow left curve ahead, no traffic.

Perhaps not as reckless as you make out?

• Like 1

I think the sentiment is simply that the driver at such amazing speed really needs to be someone with soooper powers of awareness when driving at such acceleration ....... and those drivers are quite rare and shouldn't be doing such actions on public roads ......  for a start their actions take the awareness of other drivers on the road by surprise, even you for instance maybe , and that in itself can cause lapses in lesser mortals than you,  that might incur accidents whatever  ......  and all because someone decides they can use the public highway as their personal racetrack !

Malc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I think the sentiment is simply that the driver at such amazing speed really needs to be someone with soooper powers of awareness when driving at such acceleration ....... and those drivers are quite rare and shouldn't be doing such actions on public roads ......  

I think the guiding logic, rightly or wrongly - but probably the latter - is that if the car can handle such acceleration so can the driver. 

Perhaps not clear in my OP but the road was empty of traffic as far as one could see and the Tesla didn't actually attain high speed, perhaps 60-70mph (within the speed limit for that stretch of road), it was simply the astonishing (to me), no drama, acceleration.

Personally I enjoy the sound and drama of a big V8+supercharger :driving:

• Like 3

and some Tesla owners clearly seem to want to use ordinary roads, for mere mortals, as their from time to time personal Race Track ….. I s’pose similar thought prevailed when the pedestrian holding a Red Flag preceded the first automobiles doing ….. 5 or 10 miles an hour …… such abominable speed …… road deaths might increase but oh dear ….. So Wot …… people just shouldn’t get in the way of ‘em eh ! 

Elon had a lot to answer for ….. 

Malc

6 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel the point has been missed by some here.

Whether or not it is advisable/legal/moral doesn't make it any less technically impressive.  I do think you need to experience it for yourself before you can appreciate what it is like.

And before anyone says the speed isn't necessary, I am not talking about the overall acceleration as much as the instant response that you get when you press the pedal.  My wife's EV is by no means quick (200ish bhp) but the reaction to the accelerator being pressed at any speed - especially from a standstill - is still impressive.  It actually make town driving easier as well, especially with the 1 pedal driving mode when the brake pedal isn't required to stop.

As far as the overall power of some EV's, like the Tesla's mentioned, you could argue that all performance cars are the same regardless of how they generate their power.  So, to those who mention potential accidents or too much power, the same could be said for all petrol powered performance cars as well.  Just because EV's tend to accelerate faster than the average car doesn't mean they will be doing it every chance they get.  Are you telling me that those with performance cars don't put their foots down once in a while?

I do appreciate the technology, and I do get what you are saying, but at the same time I can't shake off the feeling of driving the glorified golf cart when using any of electric cars...

It is amazingly efficient, but something always feels wrong to me in the electric drivetrain. Maybe it is wrong in "good way", but still wrong!

It is wrong in same way as vegan sausage is wrong, or alcohol free beer is wrong - just does not give the feeling you looking for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links