Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Little luxury cars

Ala Larj

The Aston Martin Cygnet was wholeheartedly mocked when it was first introduced for many reasons but am I the only one who thinks that maybe they had a point. I’m aware that the reasons for it was more to do about lowering AMs average emissions than producing a serious small luxury vehicle. 
However, had it had an Aston Martin derived drive train it may have been a great little run about. 

Anyway, my point being is that I love my GS but feel now that its size is too big for me. I need to downsize. What I want is a UX sized vehicle but with the same quality, especially inside, that I have become accustomed to in my GS. 

Unfortunately all manufacturers seem to think that smaller cars don’t warrant the quality of their larger cars and fill them with cheaper quality materials. 

Can anyone recommend a small car that has the quality of my GS?

There is quite a big difference between side of GS and Cygnet... or even UX and Cygnet. Besides quality inside was horrible, basically Aston Martin took basic buy well built Aygo and covered in tacky lather upholstery which was worse quality than original Toyota they based it on.

Pains me to say, but perhaps LBX will be the closest to Aygo size and somewhat quality of Lexus, although if UX quality does not impress you then LBX is probably worse. Honda e for example is excellent quality for it's sub-compact segment, but even compared to UX it isn't as good. Particularly you are in difficult situation because GS mk4 was one of the best built cars of all times, small cars don't usually come built to that level of quality, or rather - never come in the level of quality.  

2 minutes ago, HPS13 said:

The UX with either F-Sport or Takumi should be more than enough to satisfy your need for a quality cabin. 

I've owned an IS200, IS300h, and the UX F-Sport is for me, the best one.

GS quality is significantly better than IS300h or IS200 (I am assuming mk1), literally night an day difference. I guess depends what you consider to be "quality", but from my experience where IS300h (mk3 in general) was significant step DOWN from IS250 (and mk2 in general), then GS mk4 was better quality than GS mk3, which was already better quality than IS from same period. So putting them in line of "quality" from worst to best would be something like that ~ CT > IS mk3 and UX > IS mk1 > IS mk2 > GS mk3 and NX > GS mk4 and later model RX > LS/LC.

Putting any cars into a list of what is 'better quality' is very subjective and a personal opinion. 

When it comes to Lexus, I don't believe any model is a 'step down' like you suggest. You buy the particular model for your needs. I bought a UX because parking is restricted where I live so the UX fits perfectly. 

It has everything I could ever need in a car - leather heated seats + steering wheel, larger sat nav / audio, latest hybrid technology, 55 mpg, radar cruise control etc. 

There is no such thing as a poor quality Lexus, whichever model you have. You buy the right one for you. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

It’s a shame nobody really makes a quality small car

Hi Alan

Personally I believe there are a number of manufacturers that make a good small car, Lexus being one. What is it that your GS has that you believe a smaller car won't be able to replicate? 

11 minutes ago, HPS13 said:

Hi Alan

Personally I believe there are a number of manufacturers that make a good small car, Lexus being one. What is it that your GS has that you believe a smaller car won't be able to replicate? 

Hi. The overall feeling of solidness, the lack of hard plastic in areas regularly touched (especially ‘transmission’ tunnel and door cards), the super soft semi aniline leather, real metal trim pieces, 18 way adjustable memory seats for both driver and passenger, the ottoman extension on front passenger seat, electric rear blind, the list goes on but primarily the complete feeling of serenity partly due to better sound proofing than the smaller cars in the range. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HPS13 said:

Putting any cars into a list of what is 'better quality' is very subjective and a personal opinion. 

When it comes to Lexus, I don't believe any model is a 'step down' like you suggest. You buy the particular model for your needs. I bought a UX because parking is restricted where I live so the UX fits perfectly. 

It has everything I could ever need in a car - leather heated seats + steering wheel, larger sat nav / audio, latest hybrid technology, 55 mpg, radar cruise control etc. 

There is no such thing as a poor quality Lexus, whichever model you have. You buy the right one for you. 

I guess you can call me snob if you like, but I am particularly sensitive to small details that creates what I consider overall "quality". What you describing I would probably call "practicality", not the "quality". 

Hence I am saying "mk3 is step down from mk2", if we look from practicality perspective, then obviously IS300h is better than IS250, more efficient, more modern, lower tax etc. So you can say and you would be right - "it is more sensible choice". However, if you look at the materials used, leather, soft plastics, soft padded rubberised dashboard and door cards, even carpets etc. then IS250 would have been more premium and better quality. Now going onto GS mk4 - in my opinion, and it is subjective, had best of both world - materials that were better than previous generation and it still got all new technology. That is why I rank it so high in terms of "quality" of Lexus cars. 

Is UX more "practical" and more "rational" choice - likely, but if you value the quality in same way as I do, then it is just not comparable to GS. OP seems to clarify exactly that above. 

Have you been inside and driven a UX? The quality or materials in the cabin feels good and I have the F-Sport version. I'm sure the Takumi model has even nicer touches than what the F-Sport offers. The seats on my car are very comfortable and electric on both driver and passenger. I had a recent 400 mile round trip and it was very comfortable. Also as mentioned, latest hybrid technology with excellent fuel consumption. 

There will always be trade offs somewhere when you choose a different model. 

• Like 1

Have been inside a takumi one but not driven as was not impressed with the quality compared to the GS. I’m not criticising your car or your choice of car. I just wish I could find a small car which has the things important to me. 

Cygnet was based on an iQ, not an Aygo. I also have an iQ and it feels like a full sized car inside, seats are a bit skimpy though. It does share a luxury Lexus GS component as well. The air vent toggle!

I swapped my very large and comfy 2009 GS450h for a 2018 Jazz Sport. No leather, not as plush but the seats seem as comfy as the Lexus over a 400 mile drive. MPG pretty much halved.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 12:07 AM, Ala Larj said:

Unfortunately all manufacturers seem to think that smaller cars don’t warrant the quality of their larger cars and fill them with cheaper quality materials. 

One of my early cars was a Vanden Plas 1500, essentially an Allegro sent to a coach builder and fitted with wood, leather and deep pile carpets. The quality of the car was standard BL, but the interior really was special.

The ‘problem’ now is that when manufacturers produce a ‘luxury’ or top of the range smaller car, it’s less about upgrading trim - beyond perhaps leather seats - and more about adding equipment. That subjective ‘material quality’ is the same whether you buy an expensive range topper or the most basic option.

I’ve had UX a few times as courtesy cars, as well as a GS for a few weeks on loan, two NX and now an RX. I considered downsizing to a UX, and in isolation it’s fine. It drives very well and feels solid. However, comparing to models further up the Lexus range it - understandably - falls short. The real shame for me are the cheap looking and feeling plastic slab door cards which don’t (to me) fit in a car costing that much. 

Personally I think you’ll struggle to downsize and match that ‘quality’ feeling you have in your GS. I actually found the new Honda HR-V interior to be of higher perceived quality than the UX when I drove them back to back a few weeks ago, but the UX drive was better imho. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to add - I didn't meant to offend anyone by putting cars into line from "worst" to best. As worst Lexus is still probably better than most other brands, so that is not the point. UX is fine for it's size and fine for the market niche it occupies, maybe even a little better than competition, however at the same time it is undeniable that Lexus has made better cars over the time, most importantly GS mk4 was one of those cars where Lexus really knocked it out of the league. LS was always good, so it acts as a benchmark for all other models in my opinion and in that sort of comparison GS mk4 is pretty much in the same league, I would argue even slightly better than LS of those years. It has almost the same quality, but much never tech, because in 2012 GS was new model, whereas LS came out in 2006 and only got facelift in 2009 and 2012, so by the time GS mk4 came out in 2012 LS was already 6 years old design and GS was just more modern car. It really took until 2017 that LS really became better again with the launch of mk5.

Anyway, that is long way of saying - finding compact car comparable in quality with GS is exercise in futility. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

it certainly was not put together like a Lexus

Should we call this and "understatement of the century"?

We are talking about the car which is probably worst quality car ever made... certainly high place in top 10 of worst cars of all time. 

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

I used to have a Vanden Plas 1300 which preceded the Allegro. Although it had all the wood and leather it certainly was not put together like a Lexus and lacked a quality feel!

True, some quite advanced Issignois and BMC / BL designs were let down by poor standards of build. My point was that at least back then when you wanted a smaller car there were genuine luxury additions, rather than now when interior quality is the same across the range just with more gizmos added!

My own Vanden Plas 1500 was a special place to sit, and did have levels of refinement not equalled by the competition. The issue was - ironically given the video narration - that it was essentially scrapped at eight years old due to unseen rust. You see, it looked immaculate on the surface but all that lovely under carpet soundproofing got wet - due to leaks in the BL produced body - and the floors simply rotted away…

Aware this is now off-topic, but by the standards of the time the BL range wasn’t as bad as urban myth has defined over the years. We need to remember that Fords of the time were terribly old fashioned and unrefined, Renaults were exotic but built even more poorly than BL, Vauxhalls were built better than Fords but were just as staid and unreliable, and let’s not even start on the Fiat/Lancia debacle! What really moved the dial in terms of quality was VW from the Golf onwards (albeit my Sister had a pea green 1975 Golf that was truly awful!) and Japanese marques in terms of reliability.

• Like 1

I find the UX a bit of a paradox. Technically it's 'small-ish' car rather than a small car. In fact as cars have generally increased in size over the years, then comparing the UX to cars of old it actually feels quite large. Some people on here have made denigrating comments, accidental or not, regarding the build and finish of the UX but in reality they are put together better than most comparable sized cars I find, as you would expect for the premium price charged by the dealers.

One thing I have noted and this may be a good reference as to Lexus quality is that quite a few commenters drive very old, or 'ancient', (in my opinion), vehicles and will have no idea of the technical advances made in the 10, 15 or 20 years they have been driving their old Lexus. Maybe these people would be better trying a newer car before denouncing them as 'plasticy' - or whatever they call them.

All-in-all I am happy with the UX, yes it's not as roomy as the NX I owned but it feels good to drive, never feels cramped, looks good outside and in and returns 40% more mpg than the NX did so why would I compalin?

• Like 2

yesterday sat next to an 18 plate Lexus 300 summat or other .  it looked so so tiny and well, " insignificant "  and must have set the owner back a lot of proud ££££s too

Malc

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

I find the UX a bit of a paradox. Technically it's 'small-ish' car rather than a small car. In fact as cars have generally increased in size over the years, then comparing the UX to cars of old it actually feels quite large. Some people on here have made denigrating comments, accidental or not, regarding the build and finish of the UX but in reality they are put together better than most comparable sized cars I find, as you would expect for the premium price charged by the dealers.

One thing I have noted and this may be a good reference as to Lexus quality is that quite a few commenters drive very old, or 'ancient', (in my opinion), vehicles and will have no idea of the technical advances made in the 10, 15 or 20 years they have been driving their old Lexus. Maybe these people would be better trying a newer car before denouncing them as 'plasticy' - or whatever they call them.

All-in-all I am happy with the UX, yes it's not as roomy as the NX I owned but it feels good to drive, never feels cramped, looks good outside and in and returns 40% more mpg than the NX did so why would I compalin?

Ignorance is rife here...

Being objective when comparing the difference in build quality is not "denigrating"... If you can't handle the reality then maybe that is your problem? 

Likewise you clearly failed to understand what OP said - he is comparing it with particular model GS, so it does not matter what you think about UX in isolation or in current market compared to it's close competitors. I even agree that it may be better quality than competition, but it doesn't mean it is anywhere near as good quality than old GS.

Next you introduce irrelevant personal metrics - MPG, subjective looks etc. Nobody here said UX does not return good MPG, but how is that quality? As well why do you assume people have not tried newer Lexus cars before comparing?! The last Lexus I owned was 2017 RC and without a doubt it was much worse quality inside than my old 2008 IS, or my current 2006 GS. The newest Lexus car I drove was 2020 LC500... Likewise I have driven 2020 CT and 2020 UX back to back, one for 4 days another one for 11 days, both are cheap and plasticky inside. I I have driven countless other CTs and ISes over the years. 

So yes - UX is cheap and plasticky compared to real Lexus cars, barely different from Toyota CH-R it is built on (and I have driven both CH-R and UX multiple times).

The better question would be - how many Lexus cars you have driven in the past, especially older ones back in the days when Lexus still cared about quality, to be able to say that UX is even close to quality of them?

So your logic is just flawed here - you clearly prioritise "new" over "quality", can't blame you as most Brits do (better new shaitbox, than even few years old premium car), but the problem here is that you can't see past your own bias. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links