Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good afternoon all,

Quick question on everyone's favourite topic here - tyres! Currently looking for a new set, was looking at Michelin Crossclimate 2's, as per the general recommendation and consensus on here but have seen that Costco have Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 SUV's at the moment for less than £480 fitted which seems like great value. 

I guess the question is whether or not Crossclimates are really worth the extra £200? 

Thanks 

I bought £55 per corner cheapo Chinese jobs for my 2005 RX400H. Currently enjoying some really good fun AWD kick in on wet roads.

Next set I might spend a bit more for something akin to CCs.

But they are getting so expensive.

3 hours ago, ps2403 said:

Good afternoon all,

Quick question on everyone's favourite topic here - tyres! Currently looking for a new set, was looking at Crossclimate 2's, as per the general recommendation and consensus on here but have seen that Costco have Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 SUV's at the moment for less than £480 fitted which seems like great value. 

I guess the question is whether or not Crossclimates are really worth the extra £200? 

Thanks 

I don't know Vector but for sure I would not pay for overpriced Michelin. 

• Like 1

Left field perspective coming from high end sports cars, Porsche and BMW M....

I've put a full set of cheap budget Singaporean Accelrea Iota tyres on mine and they suit the car perfectly. Sidewall says they are 'Allseason' too.

I know what the very best tyres feel like and these are surprisingly good for £250 for a full set!

Cheers 

• Like 1

I have used Accellera for several years now. As far as I am concerned they work very well. I also tow a twin axel caravan weighing 1900kg so they do seem to wear slightly quicker than the Bridgestones that were on it but given that I am likley to wear out tyres quicker than normal I find them very satisfactory.

6 hours ago, ps2403 said:

Good afternoon all,

Quick question on everyone's favourite topic here - tyres! Currently looking for a new set, was looking at Michelin Crossclimate 2's, as per the general recommendation and consensus on here but have seen that Costco have Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 SUV's at the moment for less than £480 fitted which seems like great value. 

Thanks 

I dont think they'll be worth the additional £200

Go for the Goodyears - they also have good reviews 

When I got my is250 she had cheap tyres, they were so noisy I thought she had bad wheel bearing or something. 

I put Hankook tyres on and the noises went away and I've been very happy with them. The rear ones need to be renewed soon and will use the same again...

• Like 1

For years I have now bought summer and winters.

For me, driving a 2 and a half tonne brick is a concern when temperatures drop below 8 degrees.  What happens when it is cold is that summer tyres become brittle and less pliable to the surface of the road.  I have slid my brick on summer tyres once and it was a scary moment.  All you have are 4 small patches of rubber keeping you on the road and I want to be able to stop safely.

It is true to an extent that you get what you pay for.  However, how you drive also plays a part in winter driving.  Just because you may have £350 Continentals on each corner doesn't mean you can throw the car about on icy roads.  Some mid brands are good enough for suburban roads.  Again it depends on the roads you drive on and how you drive.

With the RX, I wouldn't go cheap as the car is heavy and wear is worse on cheaper tyres.  I'd rather invest a bit more in something that will last and give me confidence in what I want to do.  Best advice is read reviews and decide but there is no magic one tyre fits all conditions.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:21 PM, Fsport said:

Accelera Ioatas are what small independent dealers put on a car to save cash. i.e. they are the cheapest tyres available for the Rx.

They are rubbish tyres.

Doubt youve ever tried them on an RX?

Like i said, ive had tyres costing £500 a corner so i know what 'good' feels like.

Accelera are cheap yes but they're not rubbish.

Suit the car well in my experience 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:21 PM, Fsport said:

Accelera Ioatas are what small independent dealers put on a car to save cash. i.e. they are the cheapest tyres available for the Rx.

They are rubbish tyres.

Each to their own. As I said before I find them quite satisfactory. And I am certainy not going to spend £250 a corner just to rip them to pieces towing!  But there again I am not a young boy racer type. (At least not anymore😂!)

6 hours ago, Sybaris said:

When I put my summer ones back on, I need 2 new replacements for the Bridgestone Duellers, which are ok in the summer.

Question is do I replace the 2 with the same or should I replace all 4 with continental or Michelins? 

Personally I'd bite the bullet and go with 4 all seasons, to save the faff of changing.

I suppose it does also depend on how much life is left on your winters, and what conditions you face. If there's a lot left in the winters then just run them through the winter and worry about what to do in the spring.

5 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Personally I'd bite the bullet and go with 4 all seasons, to save the faff of changing.

I suppose it does also depend on how much life is left on your winters, and what conditions you face. If there's a lot left in the winters then just run them through the winter and worry about what to do in the spring.

I like having separate summers and winters, winters are only a year old so lots of life left in them.

Hello,

You've probably made your decision already, however for the benefit for others who may look at the thread in future:

I put "Michelin Primacy 4" tyres on my GS250 after researching potential tyres that would give a good balance of quality; noise; wet performance (East London! 🙂 ); and all seasons grip. 

I drive at the speed limit, accelerate to a medium degree in getting to the speed limit, but don't go over that. 

The tyres have held up great (perhaps unsurprising given I don't rag the car!), but they seem good. 

I'm sure there are better tyres if you want to drive fast, but they've been a good set of tyres for the money for me.

Best

RM

4 hours ago, Sybaris said:

I like having separate summers and winters, winters are only a year old so lots of life left in them.

Well, if that’s what you like doing - and you’re able to invest in two sets of premium tyres - then there’s probably no reason to change your habit.

But if your driving style is such that you’re not inclined to test the performance limits of a tyre - and the weather conditions are not extreme - then you should certainly consider the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:28 AM, Sybaris said:

When I put my summer ones back on, I need 2 new replacements for the Bridgestone Duellers, which are ok in the summer.

Question is do I replace the 2 with the same or should I replace all 4 with continental or Michelins? 

Hi Dan

I have sent you a PM about tyres.

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, YvesD said:

Doubt youve ever tried them on an RX?

Like i said, ive had tyres costing £500 a corner so i know what 'good' feels like.

Accelera are cheap yes but they're not rubbish.

Suit the car well in my experience 

Tyre update, Main Dealer service/MOT.

Even wear all round, slightly more on front as expected.

Less than 3mm wear max after 6000 miles, half of which towing a caravan.

Happy with that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links