Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX downsizing to LBX

I have to say, judging from those pictures, that boot looks a really decent size and certainly an improvement over the UX I used to have. As someone who has an NX now (and one of the main reasons for upgrading to one was due to a lack of boot space), I'd probably get away with an LBX, boot-space wize, 80-90% of the time. I also like the fact that the interior fabric makes it up onto the door panels - which was another minor gripe I had about the UX (a little 'plastic-tastic' in that particular regard). 

Rear seat space doesn't look brilliant in the LBX though, but I was expecting that given the segment it sits in. As someone who does carry occasional passengers in the back at the weekends, I think that would ultimately kill it for me. It's hard to judge from pictures though, I will admit.

No doubt I'll get to poke around one at some point and make a better judgement of the LBX when I see one in person.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a test drive booked at the end of the month. The car looks impressive, and the reviews are excellent, but the initial PCP numbers I’ve been given aren’t encouraging…I’d end up paying over £100 more per month than on my current RX deal!

I know that’s because the world has changed since 2021 when I bought mine, both in terms of interest rates and trade in values. I also know that I got a huge discount for the RX at purchase, and there don’t seem to be any discounts on the LBX at the moment, nor are there any finance offers. Why would there be to be fair, as it’s a brand new model.

What has depressed me is the staggering drop in value for my RX over the past six months, one can only assume because of theft/insurance issues affecting desirability.

Anyway, I’ll go and look at the LBX as it may be a future contender. For now I can’t see why I’d downsize and pay more, which offsets increased insurance on the RX. 

One other thing. I’ve looked at a couple of other brands - one premium, one not - and both dealers offered significantly more for my RX than Lexus have! That’s disappointing, but may be resolved with a bit of a haggle. One option is the new MINI Countryman which I’ll drive in March. Looking in the showroom, it’s more practical than the LBX, helpfully cheaper for a like for like spec (£4k approx), and has an impressive and high quality interior. At the other end of the scale I’ve been impressed by the Skoda Kamiq, which is £10k cheaper than the Lexus for the top model, and as I’m now doing fewer than 5k miles a year may well be a good ‘value’ alternative.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

One other thing. I’ve looked at a couple of other brands - one premium, one not - and both dealers offered significantly more for my RX than Lexus have! That’s disappointing, but may be resolved with a bit of a haggle. One option is the new MINI Countryman which I’ll drive in March. Looking in the showroom, it’s more practical than the LBX, helpfully cheaper for a like for like spec (£4k approx), and has an impressive and high quality interior. At the other end of the scale I’ve been impressed by the Skoda Kamiq, which is £10k cheaper than the Lexus for the top model, and as I’m now doing fewer than 5k miles a year may well be a good ‘value’ alternative.

I would similarly have issues about paying more for less! The cheapest car is almost always the one you own already - with the potential for a Relax warranty until 10 years / 100k miles, is there any reason to change? 

If you’re looking at other brands, have you considered the Toyota Yaris Cross? It’s due a small facelift/refresh (already out for Yaris) and could be a good and much cheaper option in top spec trim…. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/yaris-cross/premiere-edition

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, cur666 said:

I've had a UX and a NX......the NX fuel consumption was really poor for a hybrid.

I’m currently on my third NX and I agree with that comment, quite poor fuel consumption really..  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 2:27 AM, Ed659 said:

I’m currently on my third NX and I agree with that comment, quite poor fuel consumption really..  

obsessed with fuel consumption kind of spoils the enjoyment. Anything above 35 or 40 is fine. I am annoyed with UX boot and lack of power so changing it with a new NX, delivering next month. 

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

obsessed with fuel consumption kind of spoils the enjoyment. Anything above 35 or 40 is fine. I am annoyed with UX boot and lack of power so changing it with a new NX, delivering next month. 

"Obsessed"...where is this said or implied? 

My  NX was a thirsty beast, especially given that it's a hybrid....therefore definitely any sort of "enjoyment", was limited to driving really careful to conserve fuel.  If I didn't want to conserve fuel,       I wouldn't buy a hybrid car, because surely that, to me, is one of the main reasons to buy a hybrid car?     

On 12/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, cur666 said:

I've had a UX and a NX......the NX fuel consumption was really poor for a hybrid.

Don't agree. I had a NX300H for 4 years and recorded every refuel from day one. Averaged over 40mpg which for a 2.5 litre SUV is quite impressive. Lowest ever was 33.8 (winter) and a high of over 46 (summer). Current 450h+ is giving an equivalent of 70mpg.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Personally I’ve never been in the market for an NX but, in general chats with my dealer and some of his sales people over the years, I have several times heard that owners have almost invariably been disappointed by the fuel consumption, so much so that the substantial improvement offered by the 350h has become the main element in the sales pitch to prospective repeat customers.  It appears, however, that there continue to be less repeat customers for the NX than first-time ones.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ken R said:

Don't agree. I had a NX300H for 4 years and recorded every refuel from day one. Averaged over 40mpg which for a 2.5 litre SUV is quite impressive. Lowest ever was 33.8 (winter) and a high of over 46 (summer). Current 450h+ is giving an equivalent of 70mpg.

Come on ,33.8 MPG....isn't very good for a hybrid, and I don't believe any equivalent MPG figures, are very accurate at all.  I wonder what the per mileage costs really are....taking into account, the excessive purchase price, the horrendous depreciation, and now the vastly inflated insurance costs?    

On 2/24/2024 at 8:38 AM, cur666 said:

My  NX was a thirsty beast, especially given that it's a hybrid....therefore definitely any sort of "enjoyment", was limited to driving really careful to conserve fuel.  If I didn't want to conserve fuel,       I wouldn't buy a hybrid car, because surely that, to me, is one of the main reasons to buy a hybrid car?     

The NX is a two tonne SUV, hybrid or not. An SUV was never the right purchase if your priority was conserving fuel. 

My last two cars were diesel saloons. I moved to an SUV very aware my fuel consumption would increase significantly, and it has! 

• Like 1

Back to the original subject, I cancelled my LBX test drive that was due for today. I’m afraid I consider it far too expensive for what it is and, given my mileage is now less than 5,000 miles annually, I’ve decided to either;

- go for the new MINI Countryman as a ‘premium’ option as it’s very impressive and usefully cheaper than the LBX;

- look at a ‘value’ option such as the Yaris Cross or Suzuki Vitara (which is very good value, especially pre-registered), or;

- buy a 2-3 year old car for cash, something like a Honda Jazz.

Afraid I won’t be sticking with Lexus, despite having loved my two NX and now my RX. As I approach retirement I’ve decided there are better things on which to spend my money than a fancy car that hardly ever gets used!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Back to the original subject, I cancelled my LBX test drive that was due for today. I’m afraid I consider it far too expensive for what it is and, given my mileage is now less than 5,000 miles annually, I’ve decided to either;

- go for the new MINI Countryman as a ‘premium’ option as it’s very impressive and usefully cheaper than the LBX;

- look at a ‘value’ option such as the Yaris Cross or Suzuki Vitara (which is very good value, especially pre-registered), or;

- buy a 2-3 year old car for cash, something like a Honda Jazz.

Afraid I won’t be sticking with Lexus, despite having loved my two NX and now my RX. As I approach retirement I’ve decided there are better things on which to spend my money than a fancy car that hardly ever gets used!

3 hours ago, cur666 said:

Come on ,33.8 MPG....isn't very good for a hybrid, and I don't believe any equivalent MPG figures, are very accurate at all.  I wonder what the per mileage costs really are....taking into account, the excessive purchase price, the horrendous depreciation, and now the vastly inflated insurance costs?    

33.8 was one fill so you have to look at the average which at over 40mpg is perfectly acceptable. Depreciation over 4 years and 32000 miles with the NX300 equated to less than £2600 per year (albeit the covid effect of inflated used car prices helped) and current insurance on the NX450h+ is £348 per annum enhanced fully comp. At over 70mpg for the 450h+ I am quite satisfied thank-you!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, P M R said:

I think you will regret not having a test drive. This is a fantastic new car. Look at all the reviews

Yes, I’ve seen the reviews. I’ve no doubt it’s a very good car, but it’s overpriced for what I now need and want to spend.

Put it this way. I can buy a pre-registered top of the range 4WD Vitara for £20k. The LBX - and not even the AWD - is almost £40k. For fewer than 5,000 miles a year I’m more prepared to pay that difference, regardless of how ‘good’ or not the car is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Yes, I’ve seen the reviews. I’ve no doubt it’s a very good car, but it’s overpriced for what I now need and want to spend.

Put it this way. I can buy a pre-registered top of the range 4WD Vitara for £20k. The LBX - and not even the AWD - is almost £40k. For fewer than 5,000 miles a year I’m more prepared to pay that difference, regardless of how ‘good’ or not the car is. 

And..,you'll save the over £40k luxury car tax too.  It's far too expensive for a small car, but we still buy them.   🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cur666 said:

It's far too expensive for a small car, but we still buy them.   🙂

Indeed we do…well, I have in the past…but with retirement fast approaching, my mobility not what it was, and the desire to buy a property abroad for Winter warmth at some stage in the next few years I’ve realised that the car on my driveway is not actually so important!

I’m very lucky to have owned the RX (and the NX before it) but that time in my life has passed. Time to move on, downsize, and spend money on things that are more important…for my situation and aspirations, anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/24/2024 at 12:38 PM, cur666 said:

By obsessed I meant worrying too much about fuel consumption. But you have a point as well saying the reason to buy a hybrid is to save on fuel. But nowadays the non-hybrid cars have 60+mpg. 

• Thanks 1

2010 Kia Ceed 3  1.6 dci  best ever run from Lancaster to Kirby Lonsdale 70mpg  HONEST!  Car cost me £1000 from a friend -  gave it away to my son and it is still going strong at 138,000 miles!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:15 PM, First_Lexus said:

I have a test drive booked at the end of the month. The car looks impressive, and the reviews are excellent, but the initial PCP numbers I’ve been given aren’t encouraging…I’d end up paying over £100 more per month than on my current RX deal!

I know that’s because the world has changed since 2021 when I bought mine, both in terms of interest rates and trade in values. I also know that I got a huge discount for the RX at purchase, and there don’t seem to be any discounts on the LBX at the moment, nor are there any finance offers. Why would there be to be fair, as it’s a brand new model.

What has depressed me is the staggering drop in value for my RX over the past six months, one can only assume because of theft/insurance issues affecting desirability.

Anyway, I’ll go and look at the LBX as it may be a future contender. For now I can’t see why I’d downsize and pay more, which offsets increased insurance on the RX. 

I just had the same depreciation problem with my 8month old ES and an equally embarrassing offer when asking about a deal on a new LBX. I was offered less than what was outstanding on my PCP, meaning 50% (on rrp) loss in 8 months. Instead I have sold it on Motorway for an extra £5k (to a Lexus dealer elsewhere in the country) and picked up a Mazda CX30 instead 

• Thanks 2

A general suggestion to those approaching retirement and considering downsizing ---- leave it for 3- 6 months AFTER retirement and see how your car needs change after finishing work.In the majority of cases, downsizing will probably make sense,but it will be expensive to make a mistake by jumping the gun and needing to upsize afterwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DavidCM said:

A general suggestion to those approaching retirement and considering downsizing ---- leave it for 3- 6 months AFTER retirement and see how your car needs change after finishing work.In the majority of cases, downsizing will probably make sense,but it will be expensive to make a mistake by jumping the gun and needing to upsize afterwards.

Yes dad. 🙂

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tonyw said:

picked up a Mazda CX30 instead

I have a test drive in one of those at the end of March. Takumi grade nearly new £15k less than a new LBX! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavidCM said:

TBH I need to downsize now. My mileage has plummeted working at home, whenever I visit the office I use the train (paid for on expenses but fuel isn’t, go figure!) and with no pets or children an RX is very hard to justify now.

When I was up and down on the motorway it was brilliant, but now my use is only around town and I actually struggle to drive longer distances. It has been a privilege to own it though, and if the LBX was £10k cheaper…well, it isn’t so that’s academic!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidCM said:

I completely agree, my GS450h is too big for pootling around town but I’m retiring early (taking voluntary severance) and whilst I don’t think I will work again, I might and if it involves long journeys again then I’d rather do it in the GS as opposed to a city car and much as it’s nice to swap cars, financially it’s never normally the most sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links