Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

About to buy a 350h

Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm on the cusp of buying a 72 plate 350h with Premium Pack. I've driven it and it's a really comfortable car with a great ride and fab build quality - a few more miles than I'd like, but nothing to worry about. My last six cars over the last 20 years or so have all been BMWs or Volvos and I've never owned a Lexus, but already I can see the benefits of owning one. Before I press the button though I wondered if some of you'd be good enough to help me out with a few questions - yes I could ask the dealer of course but I suspect I'd get a sales answer and not a real world one! And I apologise now if some of them seem daft to you all...

So;

Apart from the usual checks (condition, history etc) when buying a used car is there anything specific I should be checking for on this model. Battery health, recalls etc. I saw something about missing spot welds which is a bit concerning, but the Lexus recall lookup doesn't find the particular car I'm looking at.

On the test drive I thought that the road rumble on the motorway was a little more intrusive than I expected. Does anyone else find this and/or can it be improved with quieter tyres like Michelins for example.

Are there any common niggles or glitches that just annoy people? or anything else you think I ought to know?

Sorry to pump you all for info but I'm hoping that you're all happy to share and make me more enlightened that I would be otherwise.

TIA

Pete

1 hour ago, Bradders67 said:

Apart from the usual checks (condition, history etc) when buying a used car is there anything specific I should be checking for on this model. Battery health, recalls etc. I saw something about missing spot welds which is a bit concerning, but the Lexus recall lookup doesn't find the particular car I'm looking at.

No, not really. No issues reported with these specific batteries, and warranty cover is for 5 years, and then free Relax warranty with each service up to 10 years. Missing welds all covered under a recall so no worries there for that specific issue or anything else that might crop up.

My first Lexus as well. I understand cold weather door opening can be an issue, and fuel filler cap sticking. Fixes have been released for both, might be worth confirming yours has had them applied.

Spot weld issue was confined to cars manufactured in a particular period (late 2021/early 2022).

I have RF tyres on my 450h and can't say that I find any tyre roar intrusive to the point of it being annoying. 

If there are any niggles with ownership it generally relates to the Lexus Link app which could be more robust than it is.

As Ex Volvo, BMW and MB owner; i'm very pleased with my NX350H for the 6 weeks i have owned it..

You can use it just "as is" and just enjoy how easy it is to live with or fine tune just about anything deep deep down in the settings....

Noice/Comfort; my choice was simple; no panoramic roof and 18" makes a perfect smooth quiet ride...

Hi there! As already mentioned, the most common issue I see from others is the frozen/cold weather door handle issue. It's not something I've witnessed on mine (yet) and the worst it's been was the offside rear - which the handle took a few squeezes of the pad to get working one morning. 

The only big complaint I have about mine is the remote climate/start only wants to work when it wants to. Sometimes the app will connect to the car to allow it to remote start and sometimes it just 'times out'. Unfortunately at the moment it's not worked for about four/five days in a row. I've closed and restated the app multiple times without any luck. It's something I'll get them to look at come service time. I don't really use the app and the only bit I want to work can best be described as 'sporadic' in terms of reliability at best. 

Other than that, no complains from me. It's a thoroughly competent car. It handles very well for what it is and indeed, it's a comfortable place to be. I've only had one chance to have a proper distance drive in it so far (basically a near-500 mile round trip with an overnight stay in the middle) and it took it all in it's stride. I didn't expect anything less from it to be honest! 

• Like 2

The dings, bings and bongs aka audible warnings can be a bit annoying, but I suspect they are a sign of the times. Only 6 favourite DAB radio 'slots' is a pita on my view. 

Check it's had any recall work done (front radar is one) and all the dealer of the fuel cap flap had been changed (a known issue). 

A great, if rather unexciting car - its a luxury hybrid SUV not some Italian exotica

13 hours ago, Bradders67 said:

I'm new here and I'm on the cusp of buying a 72 plate 350h with Premium Pack. I've driven it and it's a really comfortable car with a great ride and fab build quality - a few more miles than I'd like, but nothing to worry about. My last six cars over the last 20 years or so have all been BMWs or Volvos and I've never owned a Lexus, but already I can see the benefits of owning one. Before I press the button though I wondered if some of you'd be good enough to help me out with a few questions - yes I could ask the dealer of course but I suspect I'd get a sales answer and not a real world one! And I apologise now if some of them seem daft to you all...

So;

On the test drive I thought that the road rumble on the motorway was a little more intrusive than I expected. Does anyone else find this and/or can it be improved with quieter tyres like Michelins for example.

Are there any common niggles or glitches that just annoy people? or anything else you think I ought to know?

Sorry to pump you all for info but I'm hoping that you're all happy to share and make me more enlightened that I would be otherwise.

My previous cars before my NX 450h+ were an Audi A4 and Volvo S60.

I find the road noise less of an issue in the Lexus. They are quite fussy about noise - just try listening to the electric window motors, they are almost silent in the Lexus. There’s a loud section on the M25 I often travel on, and it’s quieter in the Lexus than my old A4.

Note warranty is now three years then yearly with relax if you go for dealer servicing. Servicing prices seem on par with Volvo, but more expensive than Audi. Tyres, 20” run flat on my model, are quite expensive but depends what you’re comparing to.

As you’re looking at nearly new, it’s worth looking at the 450h. Despite a much higher list price, used values don’t always reflect this and there often isn’t a premium for the 450h+ plug-in vs a 350h+. I think the 450h+ is the better drive, so may be worth exploring before you sign (especially if you’ve some reservations re mileage etc. of the 350h that you’re looking at).

I would try to see if you can get a model with the 14” Lexus Link Pro rather than standard 10” connect system, which is slower and a slightly different setup, so more than just a smaller screen difference. The Pro system is great, even better when I increased the touch sensitivity as it occasionally missed a letter/number when using the onscreen keyboard. 

The Premium model misses out on memory seat for driver, advanced LED lights, Heads Up Display, 360 degree cameras, and real leather seats of the Premium Plus (plus a list of other things, but those mattered to me). F Sport is essentially a Premium Plus with a couple of extra options including different suspension and different styling. A Lexus dealer helpfully had a Premium and Premium Plus side by side to compare - which convinced me it was the minimum I should go for. They are harder to find and so less choice, whereas dealers seem to have lots of Premium models to shift at the moment! 

The new NX is a lovely car, find the right model and aim sure you’ll enjoy driving it!

• Like 2

First time poster, replying to an another first timer. 3 months ago I moved from an is300h to a NX350h.

So far so good, no issues except the petrol flap. Flagged that to the dealer who never queried it and booked me in for a replacement within a couple of days.

The only other issue was dealer related, they forget to fit the pre-agreed dash cam which they fitted when replacing the petrol flap.

MPG is steadily getting better, now up to 45.5. 

• Like 1

I agree with everything that has been said here already. I've had my NX350h for nearly 2 years now and have zero regrets.

MPG is currently 48.5 from new.

Just to add..... don't be put off by any car journalists or YouTubers complaining about the newfangled door handles or the gear shifter - you will get used to them very quickly.

• Like 2

I run a 350 nx premium plus with 16000 miles on it and find the car better than my volvo,s in lots of ways. Seats more comfortable, less noise and good fuel consumption, getting 46 at moment but will drop to 45. This is due to towing a trailer and you should get the 47 they state (these are on the clock from new not by journey where 50 is quite normal)

If you tow or use a towbar bike rack ,talk to the dealer as Lexus are years behind Volvo and you have to switch off all reversing warnings yourself via the screen.

My only disappointment is that Lexus themselves take no real care of their customers and leave it to the dealers. All my software updates were looked after as expected, but they never came back to me over fuel flap or door handles, both of which can be fixed, but you have to ask.

Very good car, good dealers and hope you enjoy yours if you take the plunge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteHart said:

I had a NX300 before I got a NX450 and the reason for getting the second one was the service and reliability. 

Likewise plus exemplary customer care from the dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andy B said:

Just to add..... don't be put off by any car journalists or YouTubers complaining about the newfangled door handles or the gear shifter - you will get used to them very quickly.

Add to that the “bee in a bonnet” that car journalists have about the CVT gearbox. They just copy each others remarks because they don’t know how to drive a hybrid car with this type of box.

I previously had a RX450h and agree with the 2 posters immediately above this one re the exemplary customer care and service from my chosen dealer

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, RXtoNX said:

Add to that the “bee in a bonnet” that car journalists have about the CVT gearbox. They just copy each others remarks because they don’t know how to drive a hybrid car with this type of box.

Agreed. I do take issue with many mainstream car journalists because over the decades I've seen articles of them slating cars which I've personally found decent and indeed, would recommend to others. For car journalists, it's just a case of the manufacturer giving them a quick loan of a car which they have for a short time - rather than actually owning and living with the car, getting to know it properly, over a period of time. Then of course their own egos have to get in the way of actual facts on the car. Unfortunately, you'll find some of them over on YouTube these days... 

Anyway, with regards to CVT gearbox, I generally have no issue with them. What car journalists don't appear to like about them is that they're not really designed for race tracks in mind - rather than public roads which is where 99.5% of the time, you'll find yourself on. Whilst they'll certainly 'crack on' in terms of acceleration, car journalists also have a habit of having an incredibly heavy right foot. All of the time. Therefore any 'downside' of a CVT gearbox will be regularly highlighted to them. 

Meanwhile, a sensible driver who knows what they're like will just drive normally. Cruise along gently. Feather the throttle. Allow the car to pick up it's own speed without the need to make the engine 'roar' high up the rpm gauge. Do this and they'd find CVT gearboxes are actually incredibly refined and silky smooth for everyday use. Match it up to a hybrid and I've had both my UX and NX run on the electric motor for brief spells at dual carriageway speeds.

I don't think CVTs are the best automatic transmissions out there strictly from a personal perspective - but I'm mechanically minded and fully aware that different cars need different driving styles to get the best from them. I'm perfectly happy with it. Sadly, many car journalists seem to lack this ability or just want to 'prove a point'. 

• Like 6

That's because most motoring "journalists" are frustrated IMO and have a Vin Diesel Fast 'n' Furious mindset, imagining they are driving the supercharged Dodge Charger with NOS and its 17 forward gears!  

• Haha 1

The CVT debate is a good one. The only reason I would not have a Lexus is the CVT drive, I find the kick down when driving with petrol is slow compared to Mercedes and BMW etc. But I think my next car will still be a Lexus. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteHart said:

The CVT debate is a good one. The only reason I would not have a Lexus is the CVT drive, I find the kick down when driving with petrol is slow compared to Mercedes and BMW etc. But I think my next car will still be a Lexus. 

There is no kick down on a Lexus or Toyota CVT. Pressing the pedal hard, signals a requirement for more power which the drives, ICE and Battery supply immediately. Slamming your foot down does not automatically produce greater speed on a CVT, Slower but clear pressure on the pedal will. That's how it works.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Moleman said:

There is no kick down on a Lexus or Toyota CVT. Pressing the pedal hard, signals a requirement for more power which the drives, ICE and battery supply immediately. Slamming your foot down does not automatically produce greater speed on a CVT, Slower but clear pressure on the pedal will.

With you until the end. Slower but clear pressure provides less performance that slamming your foot down - that is how it works, the faster the engine gets up to speed the better performance you have.

• Like 2

Loving all this "CVT bad, more acceleration, need power NOW, NOW, NOW" etc.
The NX is a midsize luxury SUV, not a sports car! IMO either leave earlier, or buy a LC500

Mine's nippy enough when needed, for a circa 2 tonne raised vehicle. Great for long distances  4hrs+ journeys   

😂😂😂

• Like 4

I really prefer that it is called an eCVT as the system fitted to current models is technically very, very different to the whining dual cone and belt CVT system that I think were first fitted to DAF cars, and which many journalists still have in their heads when they talk of CVT 'issues'. Personally, I have no issues with the eCVT on my 450h+ and have absolutely no cause for complaint when planting my right foot after an outside lane hogger finally moves over on the motorway!

• Like 2

The NX350h is quite a bit faster than our previous NX300h and is totally adequate in performance for all normal road situations - including overtaking on A roads.

As noted above it is not a sports car (but I do have an LC500). 😀

• Like 2

Speaking of performance, I have to say I feel my NX350h is notably quicker than my previous UX250h was - something I wasn't really expecting given the increase in size and weight. I imagined it would be 'about the same'. I haven't truly pushed it yet as it's only done little over 2600 miles, but on the odd occasion I've briefly put it into sport and given the throttle a bit of a prod from from the likes of a standing start - I've been very impressed. 👍

Again though and indeed, it's not designed to be a sports car. It's designed to be a comfortable cruiser which it does very well indeed. However, she'll certainly get her skates on as and when required. It's not really my driving style though - which is why a CVT probably suits me because most of it's life so far has been spent comfortably in the 'eco' bar on the speedo! Even when I'm going to work and accelerate onto the dual carriageway, it just about breaks into the 'power' bar on my usual acceleration, before inevitably dropping back down again...then slipping down into 'charge' on the slightly downhill section! 😁 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gary H said:

Speaking of performance, I have to say I feel my NX350h is notably quicker than my previous UX250h was - something I wasn't really expecting given the increase in size and weight. I imagined it would be 'about the same'. I haven't truly pushed it yet as it's only done little over 2600 miles, but on the odd occasion I've briefly put it into sport and given the throttle a bit of a prod from from the likes of a standing start - I've been very impressed. 👍

Again though and indeed, it's not designed to be a sports car. It's designed to be a comfortable cruiser which it does very well indeed. However, she'll certainly get her skates on as and when required. It's not really my driving style though - which is why a CVT probably suits me because most of it's life so far has been spent comfortably in the 'eco' bar on the speedo! Even when I'm going to work and accelerate onto the dual carriageway, it just about breaks into the 'power' bar on my usual acceleration, before inevitably dropping back down again...then slipping down into 'charge' on the slightly downhill section! 😁 

There's an 'eco' bar? 😂

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links