Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poll - do you think you drive slower in a hybrid?

Poll - do you think you drive slower in a hybrid?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If this is your first hybrid, do you find that you drive slower than when you owned a petrol/diesel car?

• Yes, I drive slower after switching to a hybrid
    • No, I drive the same as when I drove petrol/diesel.

Having had my car just over a month, I had an observation - I find myself driving slower (perhaps sometimes too slow when pulling away, trying to keep it in EV mode for as long as possible) because there is more of a focus on fuel efficiency. Having the MPG front and centre on my dashboard and regularly looking at the overall score of a given journey in the Lexus Link+ app does make me consider how I drive more closely, and I was wondering if others were feeling the same. I managed 63MPG on one journey right through London, which was a lot of stop/start, which would have absolutely killed the fuel economy of my previous petrol car.

• Like 1

I don’t think I drive slower, just more relaxed, happy to waft along and let the others rush by on their way to work.  They must have great jobs that they are so keen to get there. I’m happy sitting in my Lexus listening to my favorite music and go with the traffic. 

• Like 6

I just find the RX a relaxing car to drive and do just that, on occasion if there is a big hill I make it work for a living within reason as this will help the engine IMO

Did used to look at the MPG now and then when I first bought it but never do now. 

• Like 4

I decided not to directly respond to the question because it does not allow for a nuanced opinion.  If I drove slower - which I probably generally did - when I first had a hybrid, which was a Lexus, and still do now that I have a fourth hybrid, which is also a Lexus, it was and is not because of the type of powertrain but because I have always found the experience of driving a Lexus so pleasant that I more or less consciously feel encouraged, within the bounds of practicality, to prolong it.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I decided not to directly respond to the question because it does not allow for a nuanced opinion.  If I drove slower - which I probably generally did - when I first had a hybrid, which was a Lexus, and still do now that I have a fourth hybrid, which is also a Lexus, it was and is not because of the type of powertrain but because I have always found the experience of driving a Lexus so pleasant that I more or less consciously feel encouraged, within the bounds of practicality, to prolong it.  

I cannot disagree with anything that you are saying. The drive is an elevation above anything I've driven before. But as this is my first hybrid and I have the MPG configured to be displayed on the dash, I do find myself driving more like a nun on Prozac to get a higher MPG and the satisfaction of that little green car logo on the dash 🙂

• Like 1

I was the same. It is the competitive nature of some to get that mpg figure as high as possible. In my GS450h I got 45 mpg on a 120 mile trip by never exceeding 50.

I do not watch the economy indicator but I do drive in Economy Mode as I find it smoother and more relaxing. The CVT also gives a more relaxed experience. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Martin Bailey said:

....I find myself driving slower (perhaps sometimes too slow when pulling away, trying to keep it in EV mode for as long as possible) because there is more of a focus on fuel efficiency....

The most efficient way to better economy is not to rely on running on electric to get up to speed, but to accelerate 'normally' through the EV light zone to your desired speed using the ICE whilst keeping the power meter in the Eco zone.

My Prius has a driving assistant gauge within the Hybrid System Indicator which is a fluctuating 'guidance' line which helps you eek the most out of a gallon.  Whenever you pull away that gauge jumps to near the end of the Eco zone, you then press the throttle pedal to any position within that guidance line for maximum efficiency.  After a while if becomes quite natural and very satisfying to get a good eco score 😆

134573_cid_15f62c4b1bfa6db26593.thumb.jpg.cb716632da40610f01b88deddb234634.jpg

Larger light blue = guidance line

Turquoise = throttle position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stepppy said:

The most efficient way to better economy is not to rely on running on electric to get up to speed, but to accelerate 'normally' through the EV light zone to your desired speed using the ICE whilst keeping the power meter in the Eco zone.

Then once up to speed it is often best to come off the throttle briefly to get into EV mode and then gently press the throttle to maintain speed. 

• Like 3

Just now, ColinBarber said:

Then once up to speed it is often best to come off the throttle briefly to get into EV mode and then gently press the throttle to maintain speed. 

Yes, I've been using this a lot. I did a journey down from the Lake District to London, and was often in EV mode at 70MPH on the motorway. Interestingly, I only averaged around 48MPG on that trip, versus a 90-minute trip through London, much of which was stop/start at the Blackwall Tunnel, and got 63MPG! That's where hybrid really shine, as the sort of traffic that would normally kill your efficiency works more in your favour!

6 minutes ago, Martin Bailey said:

Yes, I've been using this a lot. I did a journey down from the Lake District to London, and was often in EV mode at 70MPH on the motorway. Interestingly, I only averaged around 48MPG on that trip, versus a 90-minute trip through London, much of which was stop/start at the Blackwall Tunnel, and got 63MPG! That's where hybrid really shine, as the sort of traffic that would normally kill your efficiency works more in your favour!

Yeah, once you are above 50 mph and air resistance is the main factor in efficiency then the hybrid benefit diminishes quickly - and it's only the gen IV Prius and newer vehicles that can operate in EV only up to 70 mph, before then it is limited to around 55 mph or lower (the specific speed is model dependent).

:offtopic: but, there is an 8 mile journey (mainly 30/40 mph but a couple of miles at 60) I do on a semi-regular basis. I could get around 70 mpg one-way in our old series IV Prius and the best back was 105 mpg! The same in the UX is probably 50 mpg there and 65 back. The extra 0.2 litres, saloon vs SUV and 16" wheels vs 18" with rubbish RFs makes a big difference.

I definitely do, but it's entirely due to it being a hybrid.

In part it's because I sometimes keep an eye on the economy gauge, but mostly it's more the relaxed feel of the RX compared to my previous sports coupe.

I've not had a hybrid for a good few years now but the ones I had the EV mode switched off once 30mph was reached. Also top speed in EV mode was upto 30mph. Cars were 2x is300h and one RX450H. I drove them as a normal car. Sometimes very hard and fast and sometimes nice and slow and everything else in-between. 

The is300h's never fell below 50mpg no matter how I drove them. The RX was around 35mpg which for a big V6 I was more than happy with. 

• Like 2

This is my first hybrid and I am finding it very nice to drive but in some ways quite different from a petrol or diesel car.

I'm finding "a Lexus" quite relaxing to drive 😀

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've not had a hybrid for a good few years now but the ones I had the EV mode switched off once 30mph was reached. Also top speed in EV mode was upto 30mph....

The reason being it is a Hybrid and not an EV.  The Battery and electric motor are designed to assists and work together with the main source of power (ICE) and give great economy.  Although the 'EV' speed is around 30mph, the engine can be off for over 50% of some journeys when coasting/descending hills etc. which is amazing.

I wouldn't have anything but a Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid at the moment - Lexus/Toyota of course 😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stepppy said:

The reason being it is a Hybrid and not an EV.  The battery and electric motor are designed to assists and work together with the main source of power (ICE) and give great economy.  Although the 'EV' speed is around 30mph, the engine can be off for over 50% of some journeys when coasting/descending hills etc. which is amazing.

I wouldn't have anything but a Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid at the moment - Lexus/Toyota of course 😀

The whole system is very clever - if you monitor the energy usage you can get the ICE and Battery to be working at the same time to propel the car. Lexus cars waft along very nicely without the need for haste. My driving is slower compared with other cars I have driven. I try to keep in the economy section when accelerating - much slower to build up speed. The CVT gearbox does not lend itself toi being thrashed.

• Like 1

I reckon I drive at the same speed, but certainly feel more relaxed as I find my UX 'wafts' along in a way that my old Audi Q3 did not.  Interestingly I found that the Lexus IS200 I had before the Audi was also very smooth to drive, partly because it was so responsive, whilst the UX is given its smoothness and responsiveness by the hybrid transmission.

• Like 1

Very interesting to see everyone's responses here. Also interesting to see that it's been hovering around a 50/50 split. This would suggest that as more people switch to hybrids, this may have a positive effect on polution and safety. I would guess that electric-only drivers would place a higher focus on driving more frugally in order to extend/maintain range, so would expect to see a higher percentage of yes responses for EVs, perhaps?

• Like 2

I'd have to disagree a bit Martin only because the EV vehicles I've seen being 'driven' have been 'driven' almost like they stole them. And it's All age groups. 

On the other end of the scale, and this is where lack of safety is, are those who eek out the range of their EV's by doing 50mph on motorways. Darn right dangerous behaviour. They should have their licences revoked. 

12 hours ago, Martin Bailey said:

I would guess that electric-only drivers would place a higher focus on driving more frugally in order to extend/maintain range, so would expect to see a higher percentage of yes responses for EVs, perhaps?

Possibly, but EVs have much higher low end acceleration so people might drive them faster (at least get up to speed more quickly).

I definitely accelerate slower in a hybrid - under partial throttle I do tend to back off a little to avoid the engine revving too much whereas in a manual I'd put my foot down more.

• Like 1

I switched to an RX450h from a BMW540i five years back...

I was getting sooo fed up with the local traffic conditions that wouldn't allow me to put my foot down in the BMW.

My wife kept saying for 'God's sake, you can't drive anywhere fast anymore - just accept it. You're like a bear with a sore head!' (or words to that effect!)

Anyway, I (reluctantly) realised she was right - thus the switch to the RX, which is  "like driving a comfortable armchair".

I still get fed up with other drivers, but I'm not Lewis Hamilton anymore. 

So I'm definitely a slower driver in the hybrid.

🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'd have to disagree a bit Martin only because the EV vehicles I've seen being 'driven' have been 'driven' almost like they stole them. And it's All age groups. 

On the other end of the scale, and this is where lack of safety is, are those who eek out the range of their EV's by doing 50mph on motorways. Darn right dangerous behaviour. They should have their licences revoked. 

I guess in any type of car you'll get every type of driver, but I certainly agree about 50MPH on the motorway - especially when in the middle lane. I hope I sit comfortably between the 'driven like you stole it' and '50MPH' brigade! 🙂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links