Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Consireding Buying RCF

Hello All,

As title says really thinking about buy an RCF and wanting some opinions on things to consider.

Apart from the usual insurance, road tax etc anything in particular if anyone can share?

Knowing the engine is a reliable platform anything major to look out for when buying one used?

Thanks.

Look for leaking shock and check the brake discs/pads for wear as they are expensive to replace. Otherwise just check normal things - accident damage, even tyre wear, drives and brakes straight, gearbox shifts correctly through all gears etc.

If it has a Lexus dealer service within the last 12 months you have Relax warranty coverage which will cover the major mechanical components.

• Like 1

Get a 2017 if you can for the cheaper road tax.

When you test drive it they can feel a bit sluggish on first impression. Make sure you go into the full Sport S+ (turn mode dial right twice), knock the shifter into manual mode and use the paddles.

Check it has a full service history, if it's a Lexus Approved Used it should.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheHairyBeast said:

Hello All,

As title says really thinking about buy an RCF and wanting some opinions on things to consider.

Apart from the usual insurance, road tax etc anything in particular if anyone can share?

Knowing the engine is a reliable platform anything major to look out for when buying one used?

Thanks.

All good points, one thing to consider is the RCF is what I would consider as a ‘grower’.

Most people don’t buy an RCF without making a conscious decision to not buy the obvious alternatives.  As such, the RCF can sometimes feel a little underwhelming compared to the Audi/BMW/Merc competition - don’t be alarmed if it’s not quite what you expect as the car most certainly gets better once you get to know it.  Think of it as a GT rather than sports car and it will all make sense.

Don’t get me wrong, when pushed it’s extremely rapid but without turbos you do have to work at it and the gearing will have you at nearly 100mph in 3rd!!

Orange is the best colour too!  Only thing I wish I had is a sunroof….

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Get a 2017 if you can for the cheaper road tax.

When you test drive it they can feel a bit sluggish on first impression. Make sure you go into the full Sport S+ (turn mode dial right twice), knock the shifter into manual mode and use the paddles.

Check it has a full service history, if it's a Lexus Approved Used it should.

Just about sums everything up, I would say the £180 road tax this year that the 2017 cars enjoy does make me smile and one of the main reasons I keep mine. 

I have always banged on about how the later cars fitted with AVS do give you the option of a more comfortable ride but I understand that the very excellent Tein EDFC system is available for the RCF now. And I expect it is probably better than the AVS system fitted, a word of caution dealers always seem to state (incorrectly) that their cars has AVS only post 2017 cars have it. Do a quick check under the bonnet there should be a wire coming out of the top of each  suspension strut. It's a car that grows on you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

ll good points, one thing to consider is the RCF is what I would consider as a ‘grower’.

Most people don’t buy an RCF without making a conscious decision to not buy the obvious alternatives.  As such, the RCF can sometimes feel a little underwhelming compared to the Audi/BMW/Merc competition - don’t be alarmed if it’s not quite what you expect as the car most certainly gets better once you get to know it.  Think of it as a GT rather than sports car and it will all make sense.

Don’t get me wrong, when pushed it’s extremely rapid but without turbos you do have to work at it and the gearing will have you at nearly 100mph in 3rd!!

Orange is the best colour too!  

What he said...except that Red is obviously the best colour.

More seriously, this forum is a mine of useful information, tips, support, and the occasional bit of good-natured *****-taking. I don't know if other brands have the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

I called Adrian Flux for insurance for a imported 2015 IS350 F sport got quoted 10k 🤣

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies guys...

a lot more to consider than i thought.

seen a few for sale but all 2015 and only 1 2017 in white though.

If i was to go for one it would be either the ultra sonic blue I think they call it?

also would 5 owners be a turn off for any of you? unless got full service history?

Seen one which is 89k miles, modded but has a lexus warrenty still. Thought if toyota lexus modded dealer wont touch it?

20 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

All good points, one thing to consider is the RCF is what I would consider as a ‘grower’.

Orange is the best colour too!  Only thing I wish I had is a sunroof….

Its a car you dont see on the road...

Currently for me its between a m2 comp/MK5 Supra or RCF.

18 minutes ago, TheHairyBeast said:

Its a car you dont see on the road...

Currently for me it’s between a m2 comp/MK5 Supra or RCF.

RCF is certainly the rarer of the lot, though will drive quite differently.  Suppose it all depends what you’re after.  My RCF has small mods and doesn’t effect my warranty, though if I wanted to claim I can imagine it would come up!

Depends on being a grown man or still a bit of a race boy?

RCF is a mature choice. I would have chosen Supra/M2 in my 20's but no chance now at 38 or any later.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, the RCF is a gentleman's express for those of us who have (kind o) grown up.  Its great for long cross-continent hauls, but also a hoot on the right windy roads. However, they need to be wide and fairly well surfaced for me to fell secure going for it. 

I have a 2006 Subaru, which is notably narrower, 4wd and much more expendable if I fancy playing around a bit. 

I would think the Mk5 Supra would have a similar type of warranty to Lexus. I've got no idea about an M2 these days, but it used to be the case that BMW M cars, Audi RS models and Mercedes AMG versions all used to have frightening warranty costs compared to ours.  It comes down to the expected cost of repair, and their desire to make a profit. German reliability being far short of Japanese means they need to pass the extra costs onto the customer.

• Like 1

Depends on what you're after. All three varying platforms with differing offerings. For performance or track I'd say M2 over the rest, and if you want reliability and semi Jap I'd say the Supra. The RCF is like the entire F range, slower than modern cars, heavier, reliable and cruisers. Sure you can start making them lighter, tweeking them, but they'll never have the support of say the M2 and Supra. Which is where the final key reason for why you'd have a Lexus F, exclusivity. With the GSF, RCF and ISF, you'll have something not many have, and it's also a reliable and relatively economical V8.

I'd say it's personal preference and what you plan to do with the car.

It's definitely a car that takes time to get used to. I find the downshift a bit sluggish, but overtaking is a breeze by downshifting on the paddles.

I have had mine a couple of months, and am still adjusting to it. It does feel very special to drive. I have had a lot of performance cars and the RCF is very different to them all. I purchased a 2015 car on 70k miles, so have to suffer the high road tax.

I currently have an issue with the heater, and the dealer warranty has been great, it's a £3k fix and they are doing it without quibble, which is amazing on a 9 year old car.

Prices seem very mileage dependent and there are never many for sale, so it's worth hanging on for the spec and price that you want. 

Had my RCF now for 5yrs, still drive it like ive just stolen it, few mods and lexus still happy to keep it under warranty ie Armytrix exhaust, 20’’ wheels, carbon extras (bonnet,rear spoiler, wing inserts) couple of under bonnet mods, ….. parts are better sourced from rockauto in the states ie brakes pads and accessiories etc etc way way cheaper than lexus prices, and to this day i still look back when walking away from it and smile……

ps black RCFs are the sexiest, ya just need to ask my missus as shes only with me coz of my car as im ugly as sin 😉

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_4961.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mr2lad said:

Had my RCF now for 5yrs, still drive it like ive just stolen it, few mods and lexus still happy to keep it under warranty ie Armytrix exhaust, 20’’ wheels, carbon extras (bonnet,rear spoiler, wing inserts) couple of under bonnet mods, ….. parts are better sourced from rockauto in the states ie brakes pads and accessiories etc etc way way cheaper than lexus prices, and to this day i still look back when walking away from it and smile……

ps black RCFs are the sexiest, ya just need to ask my missus as shes only with me coz of my car as im ugly as sin 😉

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_4961.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

that does look nice.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:47 PM, TheHairyBeast said:

I called Adrian Flux for insurance for a imported 2015 IS350 F sport got quoted 10k 🤣

Hi.

I'm sorry we ere unable to help with a competitive insurance quotation.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links