Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please Help!

I know this is a very personal choice but my wife and I simply can't decide which colour to go for. We're down to Astral Black or Platinum ice. My wife prefers the black on the basis it looks the business whilst I prefer the silver. I really want to go for the black as I know my wife will be very happy but I'm concerned about the following:

1. Resale value

2. Having to constantly clean the car which two young children and living in London currently do not allow

3. As we're planning on keeping the car for at least 5 years how will the black paint finish last

So can anyone out there convince me to go for the black or should I stick with my go safe instincts of the silver?

Thanks for your help with my crazy dilemma.

br

D

Black would be my choice ,but the silver will be easier to clean and will not show the marks as much ,resale they both are good colours but would think that the black would edge it as silver ones will flood the market in a few years as it is the in colour at the moment were as black will always sell .

Why not go for the dark blue or dark grey as a compromise?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I tried to suggest that today but didn't go down well. Black is her first choice with the silver being her second whilst silver is my first and black my second but with the concerns around cleaning and stone chips/small scratches showing up all over the place. We've never bought a brand new car before (company cars with limited choice before now) and have never thought we'd be able to afford something this much but now we've been sucked in the comfort/gadgets and all round great vehicle. But just want to be sure about the colour.

br

D

Like you got my first ever new car in August, went for the black as it looks the dogs do dah's, went for the sussex interior as it contrasts well, although with two little un's the pembroke (black) would probably serve you better. As for silver, well, just count how many silver cars you see on your way to work tommorrow, just like in the mid 80's........BORING!!

The Rx300 looks sooo much better in darker colours. I prefer the plain Black, which unfortunately was not available in Italy when I bought mine (Only Silver, dark Grey, Dark Blue, dark Green are available here) So I went for the Dark Grey.

And hey, after 21000 km not one chip of paint has gone. Mine is a Japan build car btw.

And hey, after 21000 km not one chip of paint has gone.

Any other owners who have a black example of the RX300 with high mileage who can comment on visibility of stone chips etc?

I'm leaning towards the black, just need a little more pushing.

thanks

D

My Wife and I have just been through a similar situation when we bought her new RX300, but our decision was between Black and Alution Grey.

Previous RX was dark green with Pemboke which always looked good.Decided in the end on the Alution Grey with the Pembroke interior.Her last car but one was a Black Jeep Cheroke, it was a sod to keep clean.

My own car an LS430 is silver and I wish now that I had gone for a darker colour. My previous LS400 was dark blue and I think looked the better car.

Don't get your heart set on Tungsten Mist. When I ordered mine in July I was told that not many were being made and it might be discontinued in 2005 (for the RX anyway).

Two unspoken for ones were on the ship which docked in August and I had one of them. The one that was free (ie, unspoken for!) had a black interior although, of course, it has probably gone by now.

T.Mist was a consession to the lady wife and I quite like it. In certain lights it has a shot silk quality; blue or green depending on the amount of yellow in the light that falls on it, I guess. I'd have probably gone for Stafford Blue.

Not many RX's about but those I see are usually P.Ice or black. Might be different in other parts of the country.

black is the bees knees

afrterall you could always take it to a body shop for a buff up before selling.

best tip with black is not to use a jet wash brush but a nice soft sponge and wash it by hand. A power washer from Halfords are good too for washing the wheels and window trims etc.

As you say, the colour chioice is very personal however, when deciding on what colour, when looking at the black, we were really put off by a black interior with a black colour, it looked so dark and gloomy.

If you do go for black, go for a light interior (Oakham or Sussex - probably Oakham).

When we were deciding on the colour, were seriously considered the Brechin Slate but when we saw it on the road, we weren't impressed.

I'll admit to owning a Platinum Ice with Susses - it looks good and is popular because it looks good! As for re-sale, the Platinum Ice will always sell (becuase people are conservative) and I don't think there will be a flood of them on the 2nd hand market as there just aren't the volumes for a flood to occur - more like a trickle.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. Decided on Platinum ice with oakham interior. How predictable I hear! My wife in the end said she'd be ahppy whichever colour, this is like almost double the price of any car we've ever owned before!

The interior was one decision which we at least both agreed on. In the end I put all of the cleaning and stone chip issues to one side and decided on what I felt made the car look the best in my personal opinion. I felt the curves and creases in the body work over the wheel arches and above the door sills in particular were to a degree lost with the black whilst the silver paintwork reflects the light in different ways in these areas therefore making accentuating them more. I also felt that the black paint work, the wheel arch and then the black of the tyres drew attention towards the space in the wheel arch making the wheels look too small, which unbalanced the side profile of the car. Whereas the silver contrasted better here and therefore took your attention away from the wheel arches.

Anyway we're all happy and thanks again, this is a really helpful and useful source of information/assistance.

br

D

My wife in the end said she'd be happy whichever colour

You didn't fall for that old one did you ;) :D

Well, yes and no. I know she'll be happy but not as much as if I'd agreed to go for the black. Let's just hope that dinner to celebrate our anniversary at Bibendums in Knightsbridge will help to make up for it.

Oh well, I can always hope!

D

Congrats whens delivery?

Thanks, December 18th 9.30am. Does it sound like I'm counting the days.Can't wait. I understand the handover is quite an experience, really looking forward to that. Only new cars in the past have been company cars where you get some bod from HR hand over your keys and tell you it's in the car park somewhere. Suspect Lexus is going to be a little more personal than that.

Two reasons for the delay. 1st, wanted to wait for 2005 model with the upgraded SatNav and 2nd can't afford it till then!

D

Why not go for the dark blue or dark grey as a compromise?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I tried to suggest that today but didn't go down well. Black is her first choice with the silver being her second whilst silver is my first and black my second but with the concerns around cleaning and stone chips/small scratches showing up all over the place. We've never bought a brand new car before (company cars with limited choice before now) and have never thought we'd be able to afford something this much but now we've been sucked in the comfort/gadgets and all round great vehicle. But just want to be sure about the colour.

br

D

Tell your wife that she will regret a black one when she cleans your car every week....as good wives should :winky:

That'll put her off :D

SILVER - SILVER - SILVER !!!!!!!!!!

(or blue!)

Neil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links