Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Black Out

JSK

Guys,

Jumped started the Battery after xmas period (car was garaged for about 5 weeks) car started again but I managed to cut off all dash display, electric windows(x4), A/C etc...

Have checked the fuses , both under the bonnet and driver kick panel, and changed a couple to see if it makes a difference - but no luck

Please help :unsure:

cheers

Jag

Possibly blown an ECU or two.

You really shouldn't jump start modern cars or a least know the procedure to minimise the risk.

Does the engine run? Please list what does and doesn't work so we can see if it is a fuse or not.

Radio, wipers, lights, indicators, mirrors, sunroof, dome lights, horn etc etc.

Effected areas:

Wipers/screen wash,

Stereo,

Sat nav,

Heater & A/C,

Drivers side power setas,

Seat heaters,

Electric windows (x4)

Central locking,

Mileage display,

Rev counter,

Fuel guage,

Battery meter,

Engine temp meter,

All dash lights - including icons when turning ignition,

Replaced Battery - bought a Halfords HCB500 - Engine is running fine - although accelerator pedal has to be pushed right to the bottom to get a response - I'm guessing that this is electronically controlled too?

...Quite a few things when you start listing them - abit of a school boy error on my part :sick: - wanted to get back into the motor in the new year... :driving:

lthanks in advance...

Jag

If you have to floor the accelerator to get a response, the car is in "get you home" mode, my car does this every month or so, to fix that one problem....

open fuse box in bonnet

remove 20A ECTS fuse

remove 15A trac fuse

remove 20A ECU fuse

wait a few seconds

put all the fuses back

Car should now respond to throtle input normally. i've done it so many times now its second nature - one warning, don't drop the fuses - I dropped one once and it took me about 15 minutes to get it back out of the engine bay.

If you have to floor the accelerator to get a response, the car is in "get you home" mode, my car does this every month or so, to fix that one problem....

open fuse box in bonnet

remove 20A ECTS fuse

remove 15A trac fuse

remove 20A ECU fuse

wait a few seconds

put all the fuses back

Car should now respond to throtle input normally. i've done it so many times now its second nature - one warning, don't drop the fuses - I dropped one once and it took me about 15 minutes to get it back out of the engine bay.

Get you home mode as you call it is the electronic throttle not working and you are just using the old style throttle cable to open the throttle (which only works on the last 1/4 of the accelerator pedal).

There could be a number of reasons why the electronic throttle isn't working - your problem is just one - very unlikely to be this actual problem due to the other problems.

Effected areas:

Wipers/screen wash,

Stereo,

Sat nav,

Heater & A/C,

Seat heaters,

Electric windows (x4)

Central locking,

Mileage display,

Rev counter,

Fuel guage,

Battery meter,

Engine temp meter,

Replaced battery - bought a halfords  HCB500 - Engine is running fine - although accelerator pedal has to be pushed right to the bottom to get a response - I'm guessing that this is electronically controlled too?

...Quite a few things when you start listing them - abit of a school boy error on my part  :sick: - wanted to get back into the motor in the new year... :driving:

lthanks in advance...

Jag

In the engine bay fuse box there is a 120A ALT fuse and 40A AM1 fuse. Check those, disconnect the Battery first before pulling those and they may be hard to remove.

Also can you list the things that do work as well as the things that don't.

Effected areas:

Wipers/screen wash,

Stereo,

Sat nav,

Heater & A/C,

Seat heaters,

Electric windows (x4)

Central locking,

Mileage display,

Rev counter,

Fuel guage,

Battery meter,

Engine temp meter,

Replaced battery - bought a halfords  HCB500 - Engine is running fine - although accelerator pedal has to be pushed right to the bottom to get a response - I'm guessing that this is electronically controlled too?

...Quite a few things when you start listing them - abit of a school boy error on my part  :sick: - wanted to get back into the motor in the new year... :driving:

lthanks in advance...

Jag

you are asking him to list the things that do work :yawn: have you looked at what dont work, what els is there ;)

you are asking him to list the things that do work  :yawn:  have you looked at what dont work, what els is there ;)

:lol:

There are a few things not on the list of things that are not working - didn't test them, forgot to list them or working? Makes it easier to diagnose if you have all the facts.

If the electronic throttle fails then as a backup the throttle cable will still work the butterfly in the throttle body - but only a limited range so you have to press the pedal down a long way before it works.

Clearly there is something wrong with the car and rather than clearing the ECU it would be better to diagnose the fault and fix it?

Effected areas:

Wipers/screen wash,

Stereo,

Sat nav,

Heater & A/C,

Seat heaters,

Electric windows (x4)

Central locking,

Mileage display,

Rev counter,

Fuel guage,

Battery meter,

Engine temp meter,

lthanks in advance...

Jag

In the engine bay fuse box there is a 120A ALT fuse and 40A AM1 fuse. Check those, disconnect the Battery first before pulling those and they may be hard to remove.

Also can you list the things that do work as well as the things that don't.

What will I be checking for when I remove those fuses - Shall I just pull them out and replace them?

Working Items:

Passenger side electric seat

Inside lights - (Centre, red light in doors)

Head lamps & beams - but only when manually switched on.

Non-working Items (..append to previous list above)

Sunroof

Side mirrors - both adjustment and folding

Warning bleep when reversing

cheers

Jag

open fuse box in bonnet

remove 20A ECTS fuse

remove 15A trac fuse

remove 20A ECU fuse

wait a few seconds

put all the fuses back

"my car does this every month or so.." - Is this a known Lex issue? cus it's the first time this as ever happend to me...

Jag

What will I be checking for when I remove those fuses - Shall I just pull them out and replace them?

Working Items:

Passenger side electric seat

Inside lights - (Centre, red light in doors)

Head lamps & beams  - but only when manually switched on.

Non-working Items (..append to previous list above)

Sunroof

Side mirrors - both adjustment and folding

Warning bleep when reversing

cheers

Jag

You need to check the fuses with a meter to make sure they are ok. Not sure if the link is visible or not on those fuses.

You can replace them but I'm not sure if you can get those from Halfords - may have to be a dealer.

No it is not a common fault for problem with the throttle.

Yes it does control a lot if not all of the things listed. It is in engine bay fuse box. Think it just pulls out - will be tight.

Alive and Kicking once again!

It was the 120A ALT fuse as you correctly pointed out Colin. -

Word of warning to anyone for the future - It doesn't just pull out - there are a couple of very hard to get to screws that hold the connectors to the fuse in place - these have to be removed before this fuse can be replaced.

Thanks for the help guys

JK

Generally happens when the engine is cold, catalytic converter not warmed up fully and ECU detects emmissions problem, flags as error in ECU, if the same error code is thrown a certain number of times (twice I think - correct me if I'm wrong) then the ECU does the track blinking, engine warning light thing and you need to pull the fuses to get rid of it.

eh????? u cant be serious? really ? why does it do that????

Made me think as well