Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Thinking Of Leaving

After 24yrs in the same job i'm thinking of going it alone. I built wheels-inmotion for three reasons these are....

1: As a warning not to 'trust' wheel alignment.

2: Education for those who want to learn more.

3: For my study.

After a year online I can conclude the 'study', this is based on distressed email world wide, 'live' geometry set-up and face to face 'hands on' geometry.

Summery

The Tyre/ fast fit industry is near to 100% reliant on wheel alignment as the sole cause for tyre wear and handling problems,and there is a deliberate 'blind eye' attitude toward geometry.

Training within national chains retains wheel alignment as #1 criminal and is pasted down to the learner in house by more experienced staff , this 'batton' is permmited @ NVQ level, but denies expansion.

The wheels-inmotion web site has had requests from Schools/ Colleges and Universities to use its content for education.

WIM has shown that the public are more aware of geometry and because of the lack of understanding within fast fit seek resolve online.

Over the last year i have had geometry reports sent to me W/W and most have the 'hard ' to understand angles missing, from this i can deduce even those that do a full geometry still dont understand the information given, this also includes main dealers here in the UK, the reason I was sent the email by the owner is those 'missing' measurments caused the problem that steered the customer toward the geometry in the first place.

What do i do!.....I know the problem is 'globle', seemingly I have an understanding of geometry that others dont, people travel 400 miles to me for a geom, so what i say is not just 'wind'...but i work within another company, they pull all the strings and deny me the possibility to move on.

Wheels-inmotion

This is what i would like to do..

1: Full Geometry

2: Rolling road wheel balancing

3: On car wheel balancing

4: Alloy rim straightening

Thats it a big gamble cost £sssss, and walk out of a 24yr job.

What do you think!

'GO'

'STAY'

i say go, as you will get more ££££ in the long run and be able to offer an even better service.

Plus by going it alone you will show the weakness in the present industry and highlight the problems!

i say go, as you will get more ££££ in the long run and be able to offer an even better service.

Plus by going it alone you will show the weakness in the present industry and highlight the problems!

The 'weakness' is massive and the sad thing is 'YOU' pay for it. This last year has shown a 'public' loss that amounts to £1000sss

if youve got a well paid job i would stay,i have my own biz and its real stressfull,i wish i had my old job back ,paid hols ,sick but i was made redundant ,up to you tony but i would rather have guarrenteed money than living week by week .you know your job well but setting up biz has high costs and low returns for a while.

good luck.

dave.

It looks to me that you already have.

1 - Already a trusted name for yourself.

2 - A number of ready made clients (ready made customer lists).

Looks like you are most of the way there already.

Are you happy working for someone else?

What are the set up costs involved?

Are you confident you can keep costs to clients reasonable?

Do you like holidays?

Do you think along with alloy straightening, you could also mebe come up with a deal with an alloy repairer/refurb place?

Rob

Tony,

Reading the title of your message I was panicking that your were going to leave LOC! :crybaby::crying: THANK GOODNESS thats not the case!! :hehe:

I suppose at some stage in your life you get to the point where you've got to do what you've always wanted (or atleast try), otherwise you may regret never trying to give it a go.

Trouble I can see is that you would be competing against the likes of "fast fit" etc and the public perception. Geometry is very complex and the the general layperson doesn't really have a clue. Since I've learnt abit about geometry, if I mention the word to other motorists they either look at me dumb found or say its then same as tracking/wheel alignment which is cheap to get from the "fast fit" centres.

Once you get past public perception, and raised greater understanding (which is what you've been trying to do up until now) then I think you will start making money. But how long will that take? :duh: How long can you afford it to take financially is probably the better question? :question:

However as Rodders as said you need a form of sustainable income, something that makes people visit your place regulary. For people in the know a geometry is done what - every 6 - 12 months? What do you do in the meantime?

Ideally you should maybe find a parter or employ someone as a general mechanic to fix day-to-day issues with cars so you could operate as a general garage too (but more expensive to setup). You could also offer consultation and the content on your website could be produced in a booklet and sold as training manuals/text books for students. Basically you need something to keep the money rolling in and supporting your family while your empire is taking off!!

Good Luck with it and I wish you all the luck in the world! If you need any help getting setup then let me know. :D :D

Anees

Can you afford the initial outlay (otherwise, can you suck up to the bank manager sufficiently to get the money)?

Also, just how busy do you think you'd be? are we talking flat-out 5/6/7 days a week here, or would you be spending most of the day just twiddling your thumbs?

How many people come for geometry checks when they should be in work? Would working a more oddball shift (07:00-09:00 and 17:00-23:00, say) mean that people could catch you before/after work, resulting in increased business? If this is the case, would it be possible to team up with a local garage that has their own 2/4 post lift, workspace, etc. and do your work when they're not there? Or maybe have an agreement with the place you're at now? On the other hand, do you have your own garage or workshop, or space for one? Is it big enough to take a lift? Could it be? Would the neighbours complain? Would it do for starters? Is it secure? Could it be?

These are just ideas that are flying round my head at the moment, use or dismiss them at your leisure, there's a lot there to consider!

I agree with the general concensus on the income.

If you do two geos a day six days a week at say £100 net of VAT that would bring in £1200 a week.

Off that needs to come all the costs of running the business like rent, power and costs of equipment etc, my gut feel is that there would not be much left to pay yourself bearing in mind that tax needs to come off your pay.

You really need to do a proper business plan to weigh it all up.

I have been and sort of still am self employed, I will give you any help I can.

Your replys mirror my worries. The geom market although out there is still looking for direction, at the moment the main dealer holds the customer, when they fail i then get the customer, and although i wave a flag for geometry its very small and not visable to most. So i will need to rely on other areas like:

On car balance

Rolling road balance

Alloy straightening

Suspension fitting

Domestic/ road race geometry set-up

still i am 50/50 go/ stay.... at some point somone will pioneer this area and 'stamp' on fast fits ongoing con, i just wonder could it be me :unsure:

Have you thought of supplimenting your income by teaching / training others?

Loughborough University run an Automotive Engineering degree course - I bet they'd bite your arm off for some of your knowledge.

Yes i have thought of 'out' of house training and i have even had a few independents ask for one to one training but......i also work an 8 till 6 so i'm back to the same problem, go it alone, go with the training, or stay and wonder 'what if'. To some extent i wish i hadn't concluded the 'summery'.

i'm sure i saw a post where tdi wanted to employ you. could this not be a compromise to get the kind of business you want working with other's with the same quality of workmanship.

TDI have a position very high in the modification market and realize geometry is necessary to compliment every aspect of their hard work. The employ i feel was a mark of respect from the current topic......sadly

You need to come up with a business plan (P & L, or profit and loss) - revenue, cost of goods/services which will give you (1) the gross margin and then list your expenses (rent, equipment, loans, salaries, etc etc) which will give you (2) Ebit (earnings before interest and taxes). After interest and taxes have been deducted you are left with (3) Net profit.

I can send you a simple XL spreadsheet which I use for my own business but which can easily be adapted for your own use. I can run through it with you.

Just to give a rough idea, the supermarkets work on a Net margin of less than 5% but can still return healthy margins due to the volume.

For a small business you should be looking at a Net of not less than 25%, which will give you "padding" if buisiness is a little slow at times.

A word of warning though - something like 80% of small businesses fail in their first year of trading for one reason - cash flow. If all the money is flowing out and not enough coming in, the numbers will be in the red and the business will collapse. I am still looking at "going it alone" myself but it's the cash flow over the first 6 months which is telling me "NO".

Service type business generally return lower profit margins than product type businesses so I would recommend supporting the revenues by selling something like tyres as an example.

I think you still have my mobile number, please give me a call if I can offer any help. There is no such thing as luck in business! it means:

Labour

Under

Controlled

Knowledge

You need to come up with a business plan (P & L, or profit and loss) - revenue, cost of goods/services which will give you (1) the gross margin and then list your expenses (rent, equipment, loans, salaries, etc etc) which will give you (2) Ebit (earnings before interest and taxes). After interest and taxes have been deducted you are left with (3) Net profit.

I can send you a simple XL spreadsheet which I use for my own business but which can easily be adapted for your own use. I can run through it with you.

Just to give a rough idea, the supermarkets work on a Net margin of less than 5% but can still return healthy margins due to the volume.

For a small business you should be looking at a Net of not less than 25%, which will give you "padding" if buisiness is a little slow at times.

A word of warning though - something like 80% of small businesses fail in their first year of trading for one reason - cash flow. If all the money is flowing out and not enough coming in, the numbers will be in the red and the business will collapse. I am still looking at "going it alone" myself but it's the cash flow over the first 6 months which is telling me "NO".

Service type business generally return lower profit margins than product type businesses so I would recommend supporting the revenues by selling something like tyres as an example.

I think you still have my mobile number, please give me a call if I can offer any help. There is no such thing as luck in business! it means:

Labour

Under

Controlled

Knowledge

Your# is lost can you pm me it again please. The thing about this area of geometry and wheel balance is its a 'shop' that stocks 'nothing' sells 'nothing' and makes 'nothing' in effect its me, you, and the car, thats it. Were in the world could you have a buisness within a building with nothing in it? all thats missing is public education in this area, but this will come....( in time )....is this my time :unsure:

Labour

Under

Controlled

Knowledge

Your# is lost can you pm me it again please. The thing about this area of geometry and wheel balance is its a 'shop' that stocks 'nothing' sells 'nothing' and makes 'nothing' in effect its me, you, and the car, thats it. Were in the world could you have a buisness within a building with nothing in it? all thats missing is public education in this area, but this will come....( in time )....is this my time :unsure:

I say go for it, you will never know the outcome unless you try & you will kick yourself if someone els ends up doing what you are thinking ;) and by the sound of it you would not need to much to set this up :yawn:

you can all ways get a job doing what you are doing now! :winky:

I work for myself supplying a service,and the first 6 months were hard,living on the bare minimum whilst building up stock and a client base.the initial outlay is always the hardest part of starting your own business,but with a Bank which has a good small business advisor who can guide you along the way can be worth his weight in gold.

Then there is your gut instinct,if this points you toward this path, then take it,and perhaps, in the near future, we may see WIM franchises for sale with your goodself as both teacher and mentor.

If I add any more I'll just be repeating what has already been said

I work for myself supplying a service,and the first 6 months were hard,living on the bare minimum whilst building up stock and a client base.the initial outlay is always the hardest part of starting your own business,but with a Bank which has a good small business advisor who can guide you along the way can be worth his weight in gold.

Then there is your gut instinct,if this points you toward this path, then take it,and perhaps, in the near future, we may see WIM franchises for sale with your goodself as both teacher and mentor.

If I add any more I'll just be repeating what has already been said

There has been some 'solid' advice here that has made me think, and learn. With 24yrs in one job i have become somwhat detatched from whats ahead.... My gut feeling is 'DO IT' but i know i will risk everything, But do i have the right to put all at risk for my children. I have a few things 'nagging' me. I know geom and balance is a major problem, i know that most cars today are on alloy wheels and in time they will compress and i know that 'my?' shop would.. make nothing , stock nothing, sell nothing. The whole area is 'truma' for the customer so its a must have service, unlike lets say.....buy a new TV?

I dont know what to do.... With the advice here and my feelings i think i will persue the set-up with a 'gunna' do it attitude and see what happens :crybaby:

Tony - don't let your heart rule your head!

The business will only work if the numbers are good. Anything less and the cash flow will kill it very quickly.

Thing is Mike this area involves no product so is near to 100% profit - buisness costs, wages and so on.... I have a chance to lease a workshop and become affiliated with them, this will reduce set-up costs big time and i can use them as an established buisness to lease equipment...... by the way, thanks for your# i will phone you 'one to one' soon, but for now this topic on line could help more people than just me.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links