Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Values...

gib

I have read a few threads about this common belief that values for the old IS will fall dramatically when the new IS comes out, if they havent already.

When the new IS comes out, I bet you prices hardly differ - its an absolute myth. The new IS is totally different with the old version still a classic and in high demand. Prices in Scotland have hardly moved since the initial announcement of the new vehicle. Theres a car advertised identical to mine with higher miles, and its dearer than what I paid 9 months ago. And this was a lexus dealer in England.

Prices remain high - the new IS will be limited in supply and will only appeal to a certain market, which I think will be slightly different to the current one.

The trade tells me not to expect any significant drop in value come November.

In fact the value for the IS range INCREASED by £25 on last month.

So if you want an IS, just buy one now. Theres no such thing as a cheap Lexus.

I think there is always a drop in proce when a new model comes out...kidding yourself if you think different.

When I had my MR2 roadster they did a facelift (bigger rear wheel, fog lamp and 6 speed box...and I think that was all) and that dropped the price....when a complete new car comes it will hit residuals...well ok..it will hit what the delaer will give you as a trade in.

When I had my MR2 roadster they did a facelift (bigger rear wheel, fog lamp and 6 speed box...and I think that was all) and that dropped the price....when a complete new car comes it will hit residuals...well ok..it will hit what the delaer will give you as a trade in.

Read the post again - the IS250 is not a face lift model - it is a different type of car aimed at a different market.

The rear light cluster that sparked a revolution in car modifying is a small part of the radical design of the IS200 - looking at it makes you feel good.

It didn't come as spec'd up as a Lexus should - just enough to pass as one.

The IS250 is a totally different car, designed to be pleasant to look at and be in.

Lexus don't want people modifying their cars - that would imply they weren't perfect.

Lexus don't want people modifying their cars - that would imply they weren't perfect.

So how come TRD and TTE (both Toyota affiliates) make aftermarket parts for the Lexus range?

theres actuall more to it than that mike....

TRD japan, and TTE are indeed both part of toyota corp.

however, there product base.will soon be limited, you will see the products they sell be re-branded for the new models. with the emphisis, not on motorsport, but style (L-Finese)

TRD USA is a private company, nothing to do with Toyota Corp whatsoever

Read the post again - the IS250 is not a face lift model - it is a different type of car aimed at a different market.

The rear light cluster that sparked a revolution in car modifying is a small part of the radical design of the IS200 - looking at it makes you feel good.

The IS250 is a totally different car, designed to be pleasant to look at and be in.

Good points - I like them, and will use them more often in conversation.

Whether they fall or not doesnt bother me, I've got my car for quite a few years.

Some people think they are going to get some sort of bargain come November and they won't.

Mark D sums it up - it is not a facelift version and it will appeal to a slightly different market. IMO

I'd like to have my say:

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens to the current IS regarding resale values.....but I'm thinking that when the IS220d hits the market that is when the current IS values will take a big hit, because the IS220d will mainly be bought the the fleet/company car sector, and when these IS220d's are on the 2nd hand market (as ex-company cars) people will be getting rid of their 'current' model IS200's in favour of the IS220d- I know I will be trading my IS200 for an IS220d when the IS220d is for sale on the 2nd market, because I don't want to be running a big 2.5/3.0 petrol motor....

I'd like to have my say:

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens to the current IS regarding resale values.....but I'm thinking that when the IS220d hits the market that is when the current IS values will take a big hit, because the IS220d will mainly be bought the the fleet/company car sector, and when these IS220d's are on the 2nd hand market (as ex-company cars) people will be getting rid of their 'current' model IS200's in favour of the IS220d- I know I will be trading my IS200 for an IS220d when the IS220d is for sale on the 2nd market, because I don't want to be running a big 2.5/3.0 petrol motor....

I like debate......

Its a good point I hadnt considered. However I think the IS220d will be so good, it will be about 2-3 years before you get a value for money one. Plus you need to be around 60 before a diesel appeals.......

I think the new IS will be 'drip-fed' into the market, so in the short term current values will be pretty constant

Can someone tell me the last time that a new model affected the old model drastically - I looked up the VW Golf, which is usually a good indication, but the fall was hardly dramatic

TRD USA is a private company, nothing to do with Toyota Corp whatsoever

Really? Thought it was owned by Toyota as all the boxes of TRD ive bought in the past have been labelled gen toyota parts etc,

Strange, guess you learn something new everyday! :blush:

the IS220d will mainly be bought the the fleet/company car sector

The likes of Ford and Vauxhall etc give massive discounts to the fleet market to attract the volume buyers.

I cannot see Lexus stooping to such practises ?

If they did then the fleet buyers would be looking at paying circa £15,000 for a 220d ?

I have refrained from posting recently as not everyone takes my opinion as it is meant, which is my view from the Dealers side. I see the Mole trying to put the same views across and getting the same treatment.

I have been asked specifically for views on this post so please take them as that, my views; my flame retardant suit is away getting cleaned!

Like everything else in this world, the value of a used IS200 is set according to the supply vs demand ratio. High demand, low supply = high price. Low demand, high supply = low price.

As far as the effect of the new IS250 on IS200; LGB has had this in mind for some time. They planned the run out very carefully so as not to put dealers in a position where we had both models in the showroom at the same time. Most other manufacturers would not care, they would keep pumping them in until it bursts, BMW were a recent case of this with both old and new model 3 series available for sale as new cars at the same time. I have not had new IS200’s to sell here since mid June (I see another thread where someone does not believe their dealer when they tell them this; why should they lie about this!)

I think IS200 suffered a little more than it should have in the last year with the introduction of first leather then Nav as standard but my experience is that if anything the values have risen in the last few weeks as dealers run out of IS stock to sell.

In the long run, I think the improving image of Lexus in the UK (Hybrid, GS, NG IS, Customer Service, Reliability etc) will result in a higher demand for all products and therefore a higher price. So before you start to decry the brand and your car, please be aware that you are hurting your own residual values.

With the supply and demand argument comes discount, one of my sayings is ‘Today’s discount is tomorrows depreciation’. Please remember this when you are asking for discount on your next car, I am not saying you should not ask but excessive supply which results in large discounts is one thing which will hurt residuals immediately.

It is a fact that the IS has the lowest depreciation in it’s and I see no reason that should change.

…..just reread this and it’s a bit disjointed but I am too busy trying to find used IS’s to buy to rewrite it, sorry.

Ian

Not being funny, but haven't the resale values for the current IS200 already dropped dramatically? I've seen IS200's in the Autotrader/Ebay starting @ the £5.5k mark. Ok, I admit these are probably 2 or 3 owner cars with 100K+ on the clock, with stone chipped bumpers and bonnets, but you get the picture....

For example:

1999 V Reg LEXUS IS 200 2.0 SPORT4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 108,000 miles, Gunmetal Grey. Full service history, Half Leather Interior, Sports Design Interior, Alloy wheels, ABS, Traction control, Climate Control, Power assisted steering, Driver airbag, Passenger airbag, Side airbags, Remote locking, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Electric sunroof, Electric Seats, Alarm, Immobiliser, On Board Computer, 6 Speed Manual, Heated seats, CD Audio System. £5,984.

Not being funny, but haven't the resale values for the current IS200 already dropped dramatically?  I've seen IS200's in the Autotrader/Ebay starting @ the £5.5k mark.  Ok, I admit these are probably 2 or 3 owner cars with 100K+ on the clock, with stone chipped bumpers and bonnets, but you get the picture....

For example:

1999 V Reg LEXUS IS 200 2.0 SPORT4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 108,000 miles, Gunmetal Grey. Full service history, Half Leather Interior, Sports Design Interior, Alloy wheels, ABS, Traction control, Climate Control, Power assisted steering, Driver airbag, Passenger airbag, Side airbags, Remote locking, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Electric sunroof, Electric Seats, Alarm, Immobiliser, On Board Computer, 6 Speed Manual, Heated seats, CD Audio System. £5,984.

Odd price - sounds like an Arnold Clark vehicle.....

I'd like to have my say:

Not quite so as diesel is already dearer than petrol and the petrol prices are set to come down whereas diesel prices will remain the same! :blush:

I think you could see the fleet/company vehicles maybe switching to petrol!!!

Not being funny, but haven't the resale values for the current IS200 already dropped dramatically?  I've seen IS200's in the Autotrader/Ebay starting @ the £5.5k mark.  Ok, I admit these are probably 2 or 3 owner cars with 100K+ on the clock, with stone chipped bumpers and bonnets, but you get the picture....

For example:

Well I have just been over the dealers with my snagging list for the '300 and saw my "old" IS200 on the forecourt for around 17995.

http://centres.lexus.co.uk/dealers/C0BB314...B8-00508B8B464E

This is only 11 months old btw and I know how much I got from the dealer for it ;).

well i just couldnt resist it any longer i had to add my fuel to the fire.

i have been trying to sell my car for 2 months to dealers, privateers and anyone with a pulse basically, i started off at £13150 FOR A 2003 IS200SE 14500 MILES, immaculate condition fsh the lot. I then reduced it to £12500 still no calls,

it was advertised on the autotrader, here, local papers etc.... no interest.

my lexus dealer firstly told me they would buy it for £11500 only to knock a grand off when i drove the 55 miles roundtrip coming up with some crap about them having to warranty it again ( its got 7 months left ??? )

so I was less than happy and left. :angry: :tsktsk:

Now I have just managed to sell her for £11500 today.

So dont believe the hype from the dealers, they wontpayanyway near the going rate and will happily lose customers rather than pay near to BOOK price ( which is what they use isnt it ).

from my experience the market is dying quick and im pleased to be getting out whilst I can.

For example:

Lexus Glasgow......that is Arnold Clark !!....

My point was that even a minor facelift, and I mean very minor caused the re-sale value to drop.... never mind a whole new model ! I think the IS200's values will drop... but then again what do I know.... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links