Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Couple Of Questions After Service

Hi Guys,

My IS went in today for a 70k service at Chester. A couple of questions for your opinions:-

1) I was charged £62 for 5 litres of oil after 15% discount - is this right? I've checked my previous services from Liverpool & Stoke and was charged £30. I was just wondering if the oil problems have caused a price hike?

2) Was also told my front discs are warped, they were replaced in Feb 2005 under warranty and I am now being told that they are not covered under 12 months warranty as the warranty on the discs was only covered for the warranty of the car (which expired in May 2005). Are they right or are they taking the P***! I've never heard of anything so crazy in my life. What would happen if say for example a water pump was faulty under warranty, replaced FOC and then out of warranty became faulty but was still within a 12 month period, would the same apply? Or anything else come to that matter?

All answers much appreciated.

I would say robbing ba5tards, oil is far too expensive especially when they buy it in bulk. What oil did they use? With regards to items replaced under warranty I believe you get 2 months further warranty. If it is goodwill and you don't contribute then warranty on replaced parts go when you walk out the door.

Just looked at my last service at Lexus W*****ham**** December 2005 and oil charge was £31 + vat. They also charge for flush and environmental charge to dispose of oil But the actaul oil price was £31+.

SQ...you have been raped!

Lexus Nottm quoted me over £150 for a 20K service........but refused in advance to stamp the book purely because I do my own oil/filter change every 3-4K miles. So I told them to spin!

My 20K will be done by UPAuto......who will charge me 2 hrs labour (at 1/3 less than Lexus) and know a goddam more about performance cars than the grunts at Nottm ever will!

Dont get me on Lexus at nottingham! Ive only been there once with a coil pack problem last year and that wasnt a great experience.

They diagnosed a faulty coil pack for £50 labour - probably with an OBD diagnostic unit! They verified this by fitting a new coil pack from a forecourt lexus. They then reverted back to the original faulty coil pack and told me this could be done the next day. I patiently took another day of work to be then informed that the part would be a week.

The costs

£50 diagnostic

£100 1 x coil pack

£100 Labour

-------

£250 for 1 coil pack fitted!!

Did a bit of reading around to find out this could be fitted easily so i got the part and did it myself in the car park in my shirt and tie in 5 minutes!

I had to endure hard sell on warranties. They told me if 1 coil pack goes it usually effects the other 5! Mmmm! I question driving the car with 1 cylinder down in relation to the cat etc and i was informed this wasnt a problem! Im not convinced this was good advice. There agenda is screw the customer for every penny! Its not there problem if the cat gets damaged....its going to be mine!

So the trust just isnt there! Nice cappucinos though!!

Im a bit miffed as they ring me asking why i dont take my car to them for a service etc!

Its not about the cost but the value for money!

Its easy to rant .....ive got it off my chest now! :)

Lexus Nottm quoted me over £150 for a 20K service........but refused in advance to stamp the book purely because I do my own oil/filter change every 3-4K miles. So I told them to spin!

My 20K will be done by UPAuto......who will charge me 2 hrs labour (at 1/3 less than Lexus) and know a goddam more about performance cars than the grunts at Nottm ever will!

Yes, Lexus Nott'm, what a joke. I travel about 45mins down the road and use Lexus Stoke all the time. They will price match any reasonable competitor and will honour the best LOC Gold discount off the whole price. Very friendly and excellent service.

No good dealership will stamp your service book if you do your own oil change because they have no idea of the quality of the oil you used. If you subsequently had a problem due to the wrong oil being used you could present your fully stamped up book and expert repairs under warranty. If you supply your own oil for a service it must be in a sealed container and they will generally put "customer supplied own oil" on the invoice.

I understand one of the selling point of the new IS is that it uses only ordinary mineral oil because of the short 10k service intervals and therefore you don't have to fork out for expensive synthetic oils like BMW and Audi owners. I don't know if this is the case for the old IS but 60 odd quid even for synthetic oil is an absolute rip-off, it must have genuine gold particles in it.

I've just booked my SportCross in for its 30k service at Hull.

I'm gonna supply my own oil - can someone recommend which oil to get please.

I know its been covered before, and yes I did search for 2 hours last night, but I couldn't find it!!!!

TIA

Matt

I've just booked my SportCross in for its 30k service at Hull.

I'm gonna supply my own oil - can someone recommend which oil to get please.

I know its been covered before, and yes I did search for 2 hours last night, but I couldn't find it!!!!

TIA

Matt

Matt,

My local Lexus dealer used Texaco Semi Synthetic 5/30 for my IS300 SC. Charged me £35.75 + VAT, but I guess it may be cheaper elsewhere.

IanB :D

No good dealership will stamp your service book if you do your own oil change because they have no idea of the quality of the oil you used. If you subsequently had a problem due to the wrong oil being used you could present your fully stamped up book and expert repairs under warranty. If you supply your own oil for a service it must be in a sealed container and they will generally put "customer supplied own oil" on the invoice.

I understand one of the selling point of the new IS is that it uses only ordinary mineral oil because of the short 10k service intervals and therefore you don't have to fork out for expensive synthetic oils like BMW and Audi owners. I don't know if this is the case for the old IS but 60 odd quid even for synthetic oil is an absolute rip-off, it must have genuine gold particles in it.

I asked this question on an earlier post...what grade of oil does the New IS use?

My previous car (Audi A4 TDI 2002) had "long life" extended servicing - at 42000 miles it was due for it's 2nd service!! It cost on average £136 per 10,000 miles travelled, which compares very well against the Lexus...even the new IS which I believe has similar costs to the old IS.

The new one is supposed to be "Cheaper" due to mineral oils... :blink: but it goes in twice as often...I reckon over 40,000 miles my New 220d will cost me over £200 at least per 10,000, and that's with Mineral oil, over 40,000! Dealer stated approx £150, followed £250, Followed £150, followed by upto (gulp) £400 for 4 services...

I know frequent changes are a good thing...and I am already planning a "dealer" oil and filter change every 5000, depending on cost. I intend to keep my IS for a long time...keep the missus pleased with me (she's only just got over the shock... of me wanting another £25+k car...)...

OK,

I am starting to get confused. I only bought my IS200 last week 21,000 miles and it's a 2001 car. What are the service intervals. Obviously there is the 12months but at what milage under 12 months.

I have been reading places that state both 10,000 miles and 10,000 Kms and others that say 20,000 miles and 20,000 kms.

My dealer is about to do a free service as part of the deal by the way. So the car will have had 4 services since new and all in Lexus dealers.

I was wondering where to go in Nottingham to get a service - I might check UPAuto out next time. Cheers mate!

I was wondering where to go in Nottingham to get a service - I might check UPAuto out next time. Cheers mate!

For the 20K service, UPAuto have quoted me £70 + VAT

Does not include: Oil/Filter, which I do myself every 3K

Includes: Brake fluid change, all the inspection stuff + stamp in the service book. Good deal methinks. Service being done on Friday.

Hi Guys,

My IS went in today for a 70k service at Chester. A couple of questions for your opinions:-

1) I was charged £62 for 5 litres of oil after 15% discount - is this right? I've checked my previous services from Liverpool & Stoke and was charged £30. I was just wondering if the oil problems have caused a price hike?

2) Was also told my front discs are warped, they were replaced in Feb 2005 under warranty and I am now being told that they are not covered under 12 months warranty as the warranty on the discs was only covered for the warranty of the car (which expired in May 2005). Are they right or are they taking the P***! I've never heard of anything so crazy in my life. What would happen if say for example a water pump was faulty under warranty, replaced FOC and then out of warranty became faulty but was still within a 12 month period, would the same apply? Or anything else come to that matter?

70k service @ lexus bristol,engine oil 0w40 synthetic Mobil 1 £53.34 + vat....

my owners manual states 9000 mile intermediate,18000 full service 27000 inter,36000 ful etc.

Thats the 04 IS200 Service Intervals

service intervals vary country to country. In the UK the interval is every 10k miles, intermediate then full cycle.

A friend from the north of Ireland(UK) bought his in Belfast new 2 years ago and he has told me his handbook states 9000 mile intervals as well ......so the period also seems to vary in the UK!!

I've complained to Lexus GB and await their response. Will let you know!

A friend from the north of Ireland(UK) bought his in Belfast new 2 years ago and he has told me his handbook states 9000 mile intervals as well ......so the period also seems to vary in the UK!!

I should have said GB rather than UK. Lexus GB vehicles are 10k intervals, I guess NI are under the control of Lexus Ireland?

The Lexus supplied in the north are Gb spec as are all cars there(unless imported from ROI) .Now that we in the ROI have completely gone Metric we no longer have MPH on our guages but KPH only . The northern cars by Law have to have MPHor dual as per the rest of UK.

Therefore I suspect that there servicing interval mirrors the rest of UK.

Anyway ...its only splitting hairs beween 9..10K so really its only academic.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links