Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Gt500

swfcdan

The big unknown about this car is the engine and the engine position. Lexus/ Toyota have tested both a front-mid engine and rear-mid engine configurations. They have also tested v8 and V10 engines.

The GT500 would be a V8 engine. I guess a V10 would be a GT550? The 5.0 litre V8 has just been launched in the LS600h.

(It may be that V10s are going out of fashion: for all the extra horsepower they provide, they add weight, increase fuel consumption are longer than V8s so affect weight balance and have been dumped by F1 so even the image is seen as very last year.)

Based on what I have seen, I am expecting a front mid-engine V8 in a superlight chassis that offers astonishing performance with impressive economy. I expect GT500 to pack in some amazing technology. I wouldn't be surprised if this car had AWD. Whatever it offers, it should represent stiff dynamic competition for the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Porsche 911 and Audi R8.

Only let down is weak brand image of Lexus - which is exactly what it has been created to improve. Lexus just doesn't have s*x appeal of the others. But if GT500 runs rings around them, who cares? Pricing will make or break this car. (Remember BMW's Z8, it cost too much and so sold poorly.)

New Supra?

Would be great as a new Supra... because Toyota have dropped the Mr2 and the Celica ( but will they make a new Supra) so badly need something to show their sports pedigree...... will be very sad if they leave the sports side for good :crybaby: ,

made a lot of very desirable cars over the years...... :excl:

who didn't want a Twincam , Mr2, Celica or a Supra at some stage ....

New Supra?

Would be great as a new Supra... because Toyota have dropped the Mr2 and the Celica ( but will they make a new Supra) so badly need something to show their sports pedigree...... will be very sad if they leave the sports side for good :crybaby: ,

Errrrmmm.....Toyota still does make an MR2 and Celica, unfortunately in much less desirable forms that the 1990's models :sick:

New Supra?

Errrrmmm.....Toyota still does make an MR2 and Celica, unfortunately in much less desirable forms that the 1990's models :sick:

Sorry to disagree with you Mike....

but have a look here...Link

Yeah, the current MR2 is vile! Don't mind the new celicas though. They can look ok with a good body kit on.

I quite like the current celica too, ok its a blatant rip off of the Lotus Esprit, but I liked that too, and this one won't break down :D

I remember seeing it on the Irish Toyota site last year an discussing it with a few mates..... writing was on the wall for the Celica as usually a new model would have been introduce by now if they were going to continue it.......

Jap imported Celicas look ok but most normal celicas over here now look dainty and probably the reason it's mostly women who now drive them......

It's true Toyota is discontinuing the MR2 and Celica, but it is replacing them with a single sports model that falls somewhere between both models.

There was an illustration of what it will look like in Autocar a few months back. I seem to remember that the styling was very sharp. It also had a folding hardtop.

There will be no new Supra, because Lexus now covers this end of the market. In effect the IS coupe will be the new Supra, in IS500 form certainly. Well above it, there will be the GT500. Given that the Supra was a super car in so many respects, I look forward to both IS coupe and GT 500.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links