Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is 250 By Jeremy Clarkson Of The Sunday Times

Clarkson on form as usual ...

I'm glad I'm no longer single cos you single blokes driving around in a new IS have got a tough time ahead with the ladies :D

Quote from the ladies on the new Lexus ...

“A Lexus? Eugh.”

“They’re perfectly revolting.”

“They’re for people who play golf.”

And best of all: “They’re all driven by the sort of person I wouldn’t want to know.”

My missus has also hated every single Lexus that I've ever owned - she liked the BMW :unsure:

Why do you never see one being driven by a woman? To find an answer we need to get logical. Nobody who’s interested in cars, whether they’re a man or a woman, will buy a Lexus. They’re just not zingy enough.

So they are only for people who are not interested in cars, people who simply want four reliable wheels and a seat. And this is where things split. Men are happy to go down the Lexus route whereas women are not.

Typical........ :yawn:

Loads of women driving lexus, mainly IS range and a few in the SC.

Still...if you take it all with a pinch of salt its a good laugh :lol:

Jeremy at his best again,

I think most of what he says has to taken with a pinch of salt, the good news of course is the car gets his seal of approval over all.

I do agree you all better get hitched before buying one. My Mrs preferd my beemer to the lexus and feels the lexus should be a 50+ motor with the driver attending speed boat auctions or Golf Seminars.

However all of this coming from a woman that swears by her citroen xsara.

Case closed!!

Women in Ireland prefer "Jeeps" (4x4's)......even Lexus "jeeps".... :P

Clarkson suggested that the Alfa 159 was the one to go for..... :duh:

Slower

Looks are now dated... was cool in 1999

Un- reliable

HUGE depreciation

perhaps he was joking..... :unsure:

btw i don't hate Clarkson, actually find him very entertaining.... although he is over-doing the "small" jokes with Hammond

Indeed, it seems that every SUV here in Ireland that doesn't have a stack of 2 x 4s coming out the back is being driven by a woman...and generally in the outside lane at 10mph below the speed limit.

Saw my first black IS250 on the motorway yesterday and it was a woman driver. Interestingly enough, on the inside lane, 10mph below the speed limit and 5 feet from the car in front. I wonder if she had active cruise control! Does it respond that quickly!? Nice way to ruin your morning.

Hello Gents,

This is my first post here, I hope that you dont mind me putting my introduction here before I add to this topic. We bougt one of the last IS200s about six months ago from Lexus Stoke as an ex demo, in SE trim, she had around 5000 miles on her, six speed manual, satnav, colour black. It is predominantly the wifes car, she fell inlove with it as soon as she saw it and hasn't stopped smiling since, it was two weeks before I was allowed to drive it. Whilst looking for a replacement for our 3 year old RAV4, we did go to look at a new 3 series, but she flatly refused to get in to the 3 stating that it was an airheads car, I wasn't too sure if the budget would stretch to a Lexus, but was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the toys that we wanted were standard, and the sat nav which I then regarded as an expensive toy was invaluable on the Easter bank holiday when an uncle who lives in Bavaria died unexpectedly and I found myself driving my elderly mother, aunt and sister on a 2000mile round trip to the village of Gankofen, deep in the heart of BMW country ( many of the people who live there work for BMW) The journey was totally uneventfull, speeds topped an indicated 130mph on the unrestricted sections of the autobahns, the car ran faultlessly and the satnav, which, remember, I regarded as an expensive toy was fantastic, she even told me which lane to be in.

I did note that on all of the run down, I didn't see a single other Lexus, let alone an IS, and it did recieve more than one or two double takes when parked up.

So Mr Clarkson, ladies dont like Lexus, I'm glad that I don't live in Chipping Norton, the ladies must be quite insufferable. And peole dont care about reliable? I also own A VW 174bhp T5 Van and it goes like a train, unfortunately it is about as reliable, I can empty a VW showroom now just by pulling up on the front.

The Lex is due in for its first service shortly and Lexus Stoke have offered us a IS250 as a runabout, my wife had booked the day off so she can play with it, this could get expensive for me :crybaby:

Slower

Un- reliable

HUGE depreciation

perhaps he was joking

I think you're talking about the 156, the 159 was only released recently and is a very nice car :winky:

I don't mind Clarkson, I actually find him quite amusing.

My girlfriend loves my Lexus IS 200, she encouraged me to buy it over a Golf or A3 and has herself fallen in love with the SC430. So, in my scientific analysis (using the same method as JC), all women love the IS200, but not quite as much as the SC430! :D

Hmm typical Clarkson! I actually think that reading between the lines this is a very positive review: no wind noise, no engine noise, reliable, excellent stereo, better looking that BMW, Merc C, Audi and Jag and he even liked the six-acre wing mirrors! Although I don't understand why he thinks the Sat Nav was "preposterously complicated", it might be because the system does more than just sat nav (i.e. stereo, climate, phone, camera, maintenance schedule etc).

He is right about me as a Lexus driver: I am a man and I'm not that interested in the car's power. Don't get me wrong it is fast enough for my needs but that is not the number one reason why I bought the car.

I think I'm gonna be a little unpopular with this, but I can actually see where he's coming from......

To be honest I was surprised that he gave the IS such a good review, he's basically said its a great car, and possibly the best in class :winky:

However, I've had reactions similar to what he's said in the past. Never when they've seen the car (let's face it, the IS is quite a looker :whistling: ), but I've found that people seem to sit in 2 categories. Either they know of Lexus, but don't have a clue about any of the cars - these people are really impressed when they hear that you drive a Lexus (as the only knowledge they have of the brand is from music videos which obviously makes them very cool).

The other group, are those who are aware of Lexus, know of the great reliability, but their only knowledge of the cars are the early LSs and GSs, which even I find quite awful they're ok cars, but nothing at all to really get excited about. These people don't really know where Lexus has gone since these early cars ;)

Sadly its these people that hold the opinion that Lexus's are for boring old people who play a lot of golf, and its gonna take a while for them to come around, but the new breed of cars I think should help solve that, cos I've seen quite a few young women driving the new IS (whereas I think I only ever saw one driving the old one :unsure: )

The other problem is the current model line up - what do you see most wealthy young women driving around in? I normally see them 3 series coupes/convertibles and CLKs, hardly ever see them in 3 series saloons or C-class mercs - Lexus are going to have to address this quite quickly if they want to fix their image.........

I like Clarkson, and he is great at reviewing cars, especially giving the IS250 a good review, however, when you are used to driving Ferraris’, Mercedes SL55, Aston Martin DB9, Ford GT etc isn’t everything else just downhill from there?

I think I'm gonna be a little unpopular with this, but I can actually see where he's coming from......

To be honest I was surprised that he gave the IS such a good review, he's basically said its a great car, and possibly the best in class :winky:

However, I've had reactions similar to what he's said in the past. Never when they've seen the car (let's face it, the IS is quite a looker :whistling: ), but I've found that people seem to sit in 2 categories. Either they know of Lexus, but don't have a clue about any of the cars - these people are really impressed when they hear that you drive a Lexus (as the only knowledge they have of the brand is from music videos which obviously makes them very cool).

The other group, are those who are aware of Lexus, know of the great reliability, but their only knowledge of the cars are the early LSs and GSs, which even I find quite awful they're ok cars, but nothing at all to really get excited about. These people don't really know where Lexus has gone since these early cars ;)

Sadly its these people that hold the opinion that Lexus's are for boring old people who play a lot of golf, and its gonna take a while for them to come around, but the new breed of cars I think should help solve that, cos I've seen quite a few young women driving the new IS (whereas I think I only ever saw one driving the old one :unsure: )

The other problem is the current model line up - what do you see most wealthy young women driving around in? I normally see them 3 series coupes/convertibles and CLKs, hardly ever see them in 3 series saloons or C-class mercs - Lexus are going to have to address this quite quickly if they want to fix their image.........

But I am a boring old fart who plays a lot of golf!

Incidently has anyone tried to get their golf gear into the miniscule boot and how did it go?

Slower

Un- reliable

HUGE depreciation

perhaps he was joking

I think you're talking about the 156, the 159 was only released recently and is a very nice car :winky:

Nope... was talking about the 159, it is slower , looks wise it's more of the same, Alfa's are not top for reliability and will suffer from huge depreciation..... :winky: , but buy it if you like it

Parthiban, you've hit the nail on the head - when talking about my car people either think I have a trust fund (which I don't) or that I play golf (which I don't)!!

I think the line up will improve and expand, I am hearing much about the Supercar, the rumoured IS coupe convertible and an A3 challenger too. As a car manufacturer they have achieved so much in such a short space to time, but give it time and these issues will disappear.

Interesting comments from J.C. I wonder what he would say about the IS350 if it was available in UK.

My wife (mid 30's) actually preferred for me to get the Lexus over the BMs (3 series), Audi (A3 & A4), Alpha (156) and Mercs (C200 Coupes). She like the looks (inside and out) and finish of the Lexus over the others. She didn't need to drive it as she new it would be better that the IS200 that we had previously.

All her girl friends (early to mid 30s) all like the shape, look and feel of the 250 and all my friends love the shape of the car and the bulging front guards, as well as all the gadgets that come standard.

I think a lot of girls have just been brought up on the fact that BMs & Mercs are "money cars" and hence want guys with them or want to be seen in them. Old fashion attitude!

As stated, Lexus are only relative new name (and some say a glorified Toyota) so they don't really know how good they are. Have to tell these people who really own BMW and Mercedes.

Interesting comments from J.C. I wonder what he would say about the IS350 if it was available in UK.

My wife (mid 30's) actually preferred for me to get the Lexus over the BMs (3 series), Audi (A3 & A4), Alpha (156) and Mercs (C200 Coupes). She like the looks (inside and out) and finish of the Lexus over the others. She didn't need to drive it as she new it would be better that the IS200 that we had previously.

All her girl friends (early to mid 30s) all like the shape, look and feel of the 250 and all my friends love the shape of the car and the bulging front guards, as well as all the gadgets that come standard.

I think a lot of girls have just been brought up on the fact that BMs & Mercs are "money cars" and hence want guys with them or want to be seen in them. Old fashion attitude!

As stated, Lexus are only relative new name (and some say a glorified Toyota) so they don't really know how good they are. Have to tell these people who really own BMW and Mercedes.

My wife said: "...the next car will have to have a bigger boot than the A4, more leg room and ought to be German..." 'cos she wanted the 320d Sport!!

So she insisted on going to the BMW showroom in Leicester. On the way, we stopped off at Lexus first as I've wanted one for ages (and been saving up for it for ages)...but for the fact that no fuel efficient variant was available.

She looked at the Lexus, said it was "shiny" and nice to look at... :blush:

We went to the BMW garage the next day ('cos we spent too much time at the Lexus garage playing with the demo and it was closing time). She looked at the 3 series, the 5 series and the 1 series from the outside...

She looked at the price; she said "wow, how much?...look at how dull the paintwork is...and no leather seats?" Whilst she was impressed with the rear leg room and boot space of the 3, there was no real competition!! She never even came for the BMW test drive...

So....we bought the Lexus! It has slightly less leg room than the A4/3 ser, much smaller boot (376l v 460l), it's not german, but still better VFM...and it's actually registered in her name even though I pay for it!! Mind you she's only driven it twice!!

Funny about wifes and cars this is our 3rd lexus, had IS200, IS300 and IS250 (REALLY WANT IS350)

she says why you are updating all the time theres nothing wrong with the car but when i get the new car home,which she hasn't driven, and drives around the block its all to had she says i like the IS300 now after a few months you can't get her out of the car so i can drive it.

She complains at first because i spend too much money on cars and i say ill buy you a little mini or old car

oh no no no love my lexus point taken stop complaining.

My girlfriend loves my Lexus IS 200, she encouraged me to buy it over a Golf or A3 and has herself fallen in love with the SC430. So, in my scientific analysis (using the same method as JC), all women love the IS200, but not quite as much as the SC430! :D

Well said apart from the first line. but i'd say its mainly women over 30, or have never heard rnb and hiphop who think the lex is an old man car.

Well said apart from the first line. but i'd say its mainly women over 30, or have never heard rnb and hiphop who think the lex is an old man car.

Wife at first wasn't sure, now she loves it.

Visited some friends over the long weekend, we left them with Lexus envy. Currently they have a 12 month old A4 and and a Jeep Cherokee... but guess what, after seeing mine and having a little drive, he's off to a Lexus dealer next weekend.

Clarkson is out of touch with reality, and apparently it runs in the family!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links