Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

Well thanks dude!!

She goes her in for manicure, pedicure and oil transfusion at the health club in March, (what I mean is that the car goes in for it's first service at the dealers).

You are right about the gentle driving though. 6th uphill @ 65mph = dive in economy...keep it in 5th, and gently does it into 6th when you can...

Overall, I'm happier knowing that it can do it when asked nicely

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you say it was an 07 car?

Could it not have been manufactured on November 2006, shipped across from Japan, then arrived in Slovakia in January and been registered for 2007?

basically just the gearing change. This information was posted on our lexus website around october 2006 so I think that's when lexus started to build 07 models.

Honestly - I can't prove that that car was 07 model, but as I read through this forum and clublexus.com I've noticed, that already on early January were people getting 07 model cars, which means that building 07 model started already in 2006.

BTW the car was ordered in September 2006.

Personally, and no offense to you, but I highly doubt if there would be a UK specific model with such minimal changes.

it's strange to me too. However when I sent a pic of new buttons to the dealer on January, he was very surprised - he hasn't seen it before. When I asked about shar fin, he said that we won't get cars with shark fin, as this is copyrighted by BMW. In the USA the IS250 and 350 have got shark fin.

I've got a question to other IS220d UK owners - do you have in your car the "power heating" button?

I've got a question to other IS220d UK owners - do you have in your car the "power heating" button?

Matus - where is this button and what does it look like?

Is it for the Engine in cold temperatures? My old Audi A4 had the system built into it to assist with heating the interior up, but in the UK it never gets cold enough to test it.

Or is it something else :question:

PS - If I wanted angel eyes and a shark fn, I'd buy a BMW. There' no way I want my Lexus to look like one. My Dad would never let me hear the end of it (he insists I should have bought a BMW - he's just bought an '07 535d - what a car - he picks it up next Saturday).

yes, as Jamboo said, it helps to the engine to warm up in cold (it's called also "independent heating). Lexus uses Eberspacher.

Gareth, so this is another difference in UK models and Slovak (maybe europe - we should ask Koenardinho)

And maybe this is the reason, why we don't have the new switches - because this button is in the way.

heat_button.jpg

yes, as Jamboo said, it helps to the engine to warm up in cold (it's called also "independent heating). Lexus uses Eberspacher.

Gareth, so this is another difference in UK models and Slovak (maybe europe - we should ask Koenardinho)

And maybe this is the reason, why we don't have the new switches - because this button is in the way.

heat_button.jpg

I know it's a completely different animal but my old Nissan Navara pickup (2003) had this button. It is an engin preheat for those very cold days. As Jambo said though around most of this part of the world there would be no need. Might be useful in the north of Scotland though.

A lot of Diesel engined cars have this, especially for the European and Scandinavian countries in particular. Diesels can take a tad longer to warm up (apparently), so this helps you defrost the car quicker.

In over 3 years, and having worked in Scotland (Aberdeen) for a few weeks in winter, my Audi's never switched itself on once.

The engine coolant temperature in the Audi had to be less than -5deg Celsius. I even went to the dealer thinking it was faulty, but they said that even in Shetland it wouldn't come on. You needed to be in Iceland for it to work I was told...with an external ambient temperature of -20ish for the engine coolant to drop sub zero...

Anyway, I see the Lexus system has a switch. Matus - can you switch it on and does it really work...???

PS this does explain why the Euro cars don't have the 07 spec boot and fuel switches..."every days like a day at school" - ayup - this could become my signature...

Anyway, I see the Lexus system has a switch. Matus - can you switch it on and does it really work...???

oh yes, it does!

What more - I spent ~700euros for the extension and now the system is fully independent - about 20 minutes before "take off" :) I push a button on remote controll and the system preheats the engine and interior so most of the time I sit in warm car with coolant temp in 1/4 of the indicator - which also saves the engine. Of course it has a consumption (it takes the diesel directly from the tank) and it is about 0,3l per hour, so most of the time I spend about 2 litres per tank. But it's worth every penny!

I think you've proven to yourself and others that this car has to be almost fondled into giving of its best, hence the analogy of being treated like a woman.

That means that the car has "character", no?

Something BMW (and German-car- in general) - drivers said a brand like Lexus or Toyota misses :-)

Hi Jamboo,

I think you've proven to yourself and others that this car has to be almost fondled into giving of its best, hence the analogy of being treated like a woman. In my previous post as you may have read I specifically would like to see more LOC owners of IS220Ds trying what I suggested and what you actually did.

I believe you are now a happy camper re: economy. If only the other niggles can be sorted you'd be back to championing the car once again.

Well Done...keep doing it... why not?

I've set my tacho warning light to come on at 2000rpm as you suggested. If anything it looks good as I had never seen it before. The best thing is it can tell my wife when to change gear and not drive it like a petrol car.

Will have to see if improves the mpg.

Anyway I didn't buy the car just for the mpg the whole package is very good in my opinion and I always look forward to driving it - "its a great place to be ", more than can be said for my wifes Merc C200k which is also new. Very competent car but nothing special. MPG however is pretty good at around 36mpg. There we go again about mpg!

Treating the car gently and using one gear lower than the one I'd normally use (ie keeping the revs between 1800 and 2700 rpm) is returning ~36mpg over a range of conditions. The car has travelled 2500 miles now and feels like it's getting smoother all the time.

What are the changes to the switch positions? Could an 06 owner post some pictures please?

Im not aware of anything to quote. However when I spoke to Newcastle they knew all about the re-programme, but unfortunately I had to cancel. I spoke to Bradford the following week in order to arrange something closer to home, they didnt know anything about it.

"Leave it with us Sir and we will enquire and get back to you"..... Im still waiting over two weeks later!!

Maybe you could speak to Newcastle?

Some of the subsequent posts have said that the work has had no affect.

In which case it's more likely to be a "reset" as opposed to a "re-programme". There can be no way the dealers would not know if a new Maintenance release/patch to the software/config was available.

Or am I being to logical...?

Jamboo

Im sure that the person at Newcastle said "re-programme" and that a Lexus Regional Manager had been briefing them the day before. But who knows? Unless someone knows a friendly Lexus Technician in order to clarify what is really being done? Perhaps the others who have posted and had the work done can confirm or not?

I think this may lead to another call to Newcastle or Bradford!!

In which case it's more likely to be a "reset" as opposed to a "re-programme". There can be no way the dealers would not know if a new Maintenance release/patch to the software/config was available.

Or am I being to logical...?

Jamboo

Im sure that the person at Newcastle said "re-programme" and that a Lexus Regional Manager had been briefing them the day before. But who knows? Unless someone knows a friendly Lexus Technician in order to clarify what is really being done? Perhaps the others who have posted and had the work done can confirm or not?

I think this may lead to another call to Newcastle or Bradford!!

It's a re-map of the ECU and they also check the CAT & fuel jet pump. Made no difference to my car, that I even questioned had the work even taken place! Leicester repeated to work still with no joy. Current tank mpg (250 miles in) showing 27.6!! What a great car :tsktsk: Back to the drawing board! Car is going back in mid March

Treating the car gently and using one gear lower than the one I'd normally use (ie keeping the revs between 1800 and 2700 rpm) is returning ~36mpg over a range of conditions. The car has travelled 2500 miles now and feels like it's getting smoother all the time.

What are the changes to the switch positions? Could an 06 owner post some pictures please?

Hi SiWhite,

In my IS220D I'm only just reaching 3300 kms...achieving 42 mpg all journeys since the outset. I'm looking at what you're calling gentle eg 1800 to 2700 rpm. I'm changing gear at 2000 rpm and have my tacho illumunated for this very figure...rarely even at 60 mph in 5th gear would my tacho be above 2000 rpm.

I think gentle in your case is not the same as gentle in mine. You can see that in a few recent posts where a few owners have REALLY been gentle the performance is just as good and the economy certainly improves. I drive close to 60 mph as often as possible (limits observed) and I know if my foot had the tacho at anything like 2500 to 2700 my economy would plummet. On a long journey last weekend 60 mph most of the way 4 adults onboard plus luggage (lots of wieght) revs circa 2000 achieved 45.6 mpg.

You shouldn't have to drive that lightly to achieve good MPG. You can drive a VW Golf or Passat at 80mph +, taking it up to at least 3,000 rpm in each gear and still get 50mpg+

Hi Colin,

I agree with the point you make re: Golf & Passat....what has to be considered however is the gearing in the Lexus. It's understanding this difference that is key to to getting the best from the car. It demands the driver changes his or her previous thinking. The Golf & Passat more than likely have similar ratios to each other but totally different to the Lexus gear ratios. The foot down in the Lexus GULP...GULP...GULP. A light foot and correct gear selection ...gulp...gulp...gulp. Strange but True.

Some information for you all, in no particular oder.

1) Luxus Japan didn't want to make a diesel, but eventually and reluctantly agreed after intense lobbying from Lexus Europe.

2)To keep developmental costs down, as there will only ever be a comparitively low number of diesels sold globally, they used the manual transmission from the American Toyota Tundra pick up truck, hence the very tall sixth gear to satisfy the US highway mpg stats. They used this trans as it was the only trans in the entire Toyota group that could handle the torque of the new diesel motor and was rear wheel drive - hence the problem isn't in the front wheel drive Avensis.

3)The reason there is no auto is that there is no rear wheel drive auto trans anywhere in the Toyota group that would handle the torque, and they would never use anyone elses trans. They wouldn't sell enough to justify the developmental costs of an all new auto trans just to fit in one model sold in very samll numbers.

4)The sport and SE trans are the same - only the fianl drive ration in the diff is different.

5) Diesels are mainly company cars. To be competitive, you need low CO2 figures. To achieve this, they gave it a high final drive ratio which made 6th too tall, but the car is attractive from a co car taxation perspective.

6) Co car tax is changing from purely CO2, to a more balanced view of total emissions. The IS diesel is the cleanest in the world for it's size. As soon as this happens, the final drive will be able to be changed.

7) The lexus diesel is the first euro 5 complient diesel. This makes it not as economical as people expect. As soon as other manufacturers bring out euro 5 diesels, their mpg figures will drop in to line with the Lexus.

8) 5th injector that is responsible for all the limp modes and warning lights has nothing to do with noise, vibration, mpg, flexability - this is down to the ecu mapping and gearing.

9) They can't change the gearing until the new emissions regs allow them to - late next year.

10) The mod to the ecu changes the way the fuel injection opperates and nothing else. It gives more power under the turbo zone allowing more torque under 2k revs, hence the engine won't labour as much at 70mph in 6th, reducing vibration and also injector noise.

11) All dealers now know about the mod and every time a diesel comes into the workshop, the mod will be done whether the customer knows or asks about it or not.

12) If the engine produces more torque lower down, it will in turn use a little less fuel, depending on how you drive it.

12). This is an 'update', not a fix - that would be to admit there was a problem.

Like it or loathe it - that's how it is.

Huge amount of very useful information, thank you so much!

Perhaps I could get a bit more out of you, if you don't mind:

Are all new 07 ISs being shipped with the update already done,

or if not will dealerships automatically do it?

I'm thinking I might need to prod Lexus to do it to mine, which arrives in the UK tomorrow.

I pick it up on friday.

Thanks

G

The Mole

Thanks for the information, it makes very interesting reading. At least the ecu mod should help with low down torque.

Harrydavy

Although you said fuel consumption had not improved, what about improved low rev performance?

Thanks

i have to agree with the ecu mod, i had it done around 4 weeks ago on my 220d which is the 07 model,

iam able to drive at 70mph in sixth gear without the engine labouring to much.i havnt had any better fuel consumption.

all dealers should no about the ecu mod as mine was done without my knowledge and i was told afterwards.

Yes, all diesels will have the mod done, without asking. They will come from the factory like that very soon.

Whether you get better mpg or not will depend on how much you drive at lower revs where more of the improvement will be felt.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links