Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok well day 2 and things started ok

Fitted manifold

250220071136.jpg

Got intercooling pipe ready to go on and test fitted the turbo to manifold

250220071137.jpg

This little buggar bracket (one with no screw in) was annoying, couldnt get the piping passed it. In the end i got the hacksaw out and chopped him off, all i could see its job to be was the alternator cover and thats gone so didnt look like i needed it

250220071138.jpg

Took the washer bottle thingy off to get a better idea of the pipings route

250220071139.jpg

Me having a fiddle LoL

250220071140.jpg

Then came the rain, had to pack up for a bit went and got lunch

250220071141.jpg

Just tested the bumper and grill quickly

250220071142.jpg

All intercooler piping done and dusted

250220071143.jpg

This is the one i need Gav to look at, i have scratched in some markings on the metal, this is the space it looks like i need to cut out of the bay and get rewelded, Gav does that look like a big enough space, thats wot i measure roughly ???? How far down do i need to go ??? do u have any photos or any measurements for it???

paintone.jpg

Oil cooler fitted although not sure how much air its going to get as you'll find out in the next photo

250220071145.jpg

Its covered by the bumper and the foam for the bumper, there is however a bit of a gap so im going to get some ducting and get a cold air feed to it

250220071146.jpg

Unfortunatly couldnt get a engine lift today it still had a scoobie engine strapped to it.

Anyone who has taken an engine out i have some questions. Im trying to remove the sump A) will i have to unbolt the gearbox ?? B) how many and where are the engine mounts. Ive found 2, on pretty big rubber things under them going across the member which is the one blocking the sump being removed.

Cheers Elliott

Dude, its looking great!!! Im becoming very jealous of you :lol: really wish i could afford one!! Also got no idea where to start :crybaby:

Sorry i cant be any help with any of the issues!!

Chris

Dont worry i'll take u for a spin in it once done :)

With the fitting as i no the cars going to be off the road, i'm just taking everything apart, learning along the way, and to be honest once you've found all the bolts holding something on, give it a wack and it comes off lol, the only thing i decided to do was to get sandwhich bags and bag up all the bolts i.e. exhaust, bumper, manifold etc etc, this has helped lots otherwise i would be forever going through bolts when getting stuff back on.

Does anyone know where i can get gaskets from??? I need to get a new manifold gasket, new oil sump gasket, then i need some black bits for the exhaust system. Does anyone know where i can get these from ?

Cheers

I drilled holes in the crash apnel for more air...........

i was thinking of doing this, there is about half an inch to and inch between the crash bar which might be enough.

There 1 thing i need to know dave u might be able to help. The oil cooler sandwhich plate only has 1 feed for a gauge, i need 2 any idea on how to do this ???? Adie or Daz did u have oil temp and pressure as well ????

OOO and also where do i need to put the EGT sensor ?? would it be in the manifold or after ??? if it is the manifold would a normal tap and dye set be good enough to get a thread in the cast iron manifold ??

Many thanks for any help

The oil cooler sandwich plate was modified to fit the oil temp sensor. Sandwich plate drilled and tapped.

Have a look in my more work being done thread. Its one of the first pics :winky:

EGT sensor in downpipe

So after the turbo yup :) anywhere or as soon after as possible ???

This photo here http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/ad77/Car/a066a2c4.jpg

thats looks like it was designed like that ??? did TDi do that then ??? im off to look for tap and dye sets this week lol

elliot, now i understand where you want to cut , You want to cut the main structure the inner chassis leg, i would be extremely dubious of doing this

even if it includes flipping the cut out piece and welding it back in.........

elliot, now i understand where you want to cut , You want to cut the main structure the inner chassis leg, i would be extremely dubious of doing this

Theres no other option really its that piece of metal moves or no turbo :( im waiting for Gav to respond to a PM so i can ring for more accurate details. i take it this is a pretty structual part of the car :(

I was thinking about maybe heating and bending the metal but not sure if thats an option. it so close to fitting its so annoying rrrrrr

Theres no other option really its that piece of metal moves or no turbo :( im waiting for Gav to respond to a PM so i can ring for more accurate details. i take it this is a pretty structual part of the car :(

I was thinking about maybe heating and bending the metal but not sure if thats an option. it so close to fitting its so annoying rrrrrr

erm yes this is a critical part of the cars structure, it is the main section which supports the suspension towers, acts as a mounting for the engine and suspension subframe

hammering it in only enough to clear is i suppose the only accepted method, BUT only as much as is needed

erm yes this is a critical part of the cars structure, it is the main section which supports the suspension towers, acts as a mounting for the engine and suspension subframe

hammering it in only enough to clear is i suppose the only accepted method, BUT only as much as is needed

Will it matter if the turbo is touching the side ???vibrations etc

yes, it will be anoying, and will put undue stress on the cast manifold

yes, it will be anoying, and will put undue stress on the cast manifold

remember to allow for engine movement !

I drilled holes in the crash apnel for more air...........

i was thinking of doing this, there is about half an inch to and inch between the crash bar which might be enough.

There 1 thing i need to know dave u might be able to help. The oil cooler sandwhich plate only has 1 feed for a gauge, i need 2 any idea on how to do this ???? Adie or Daz did u have oil temp and pressure as well ????

OOO and also where do i need to put the EGT sensor ?? would it be in the manifold or after ??? if it is the manifold would a normal tap and dye set be good enough to get a thread in the cast iron manifold ??

Many thanks for any help

best place for the EGT is manifold or turbo spout

depends what thread the sensor has on it,

mine was a 1/8 bspt and is threaded into the turbo

you can get sensor adaptors which allow 2 into 1

you need to trim the engine mount and it will fit perfectly.............

best place for the EGT is manifold or turbo spout

depends what thread the sensor has on it,

mine was a 1/8 bspt and is threaded into the turbo

you can get sensor adaptors which allow 2 into 1

Hey barry thanks for that i'll have a look on my turbo.

The 2 into 1 can you get them for the oil pressure and temperature ?? If so where from as this could save me lots of hassle.

Cheers

The 2 into 1 can you get them for the oil pressure and temperature ?? If so where from as this could save me lots of hassle.

Cheers

try demon tweeks

you could even go for the sump plug adaptor which would save hassle

:)

Cheers

try demon tweeks

you could even go for the sump plug adaptor which would save hassle

:)

Oooo dont even know there was one for the sump plug i'll look into it. Barry you know to many little gadgets lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links