Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Tyres For New Wheels

Hi guys

Having bought a nice set of 17"LS400 DHP alloys off eBay to fit to my 1998 LS, I am left with the question of which tyres to fit to the new wheels?

My existing 16" wheels are fitted with Dunlop 225/60/16 D8z tyres.

the new wheels all need new tyres but were fitted with 245/50/17 Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico tyres.

I am not keen on going to such a low profile tyre on the LS so I was considering a 225/55/17 tyre which gives almost the same circumference as the existing 225/60/16 tyre. And is fitted to some LS430 models I believe.

Tyres on the shortlist include, in no order of preference.

Yokohama AVS dB

Bridgestone Turanza ER300

Pirelli P6

Michelin Pilot PRIMACY

Dunlop SP SPORT 01

If anyone has fitted one of these tyres to an LS or could recommend a different make or model I would welcome your comments.

Regards

hiya,its opening a can of worms this is !!!!

before fitting my 17's (also on 225/55/17's)my original 16's were fitted with the dunlop sports,which I thought were excellant,but as mentioned,I suppose everyone will have their favourite's.

next,anyone ???

This has been raised a few times on here, (check LS Forum file!).

General opinion was to stick with Dunlops as Lexus took great pains to hone the car's suspension in conjunction with these tyres.

There WAS something about sourcing them from Japan though, as the -supposedly identical-, tyres from Germany were SLIGHTLY different

Which I did; didn't cost any more, just had to wait about 10 days.

This has been raised a few times on here, (check LS Forum file!).

General opinion was to stick with Dunlops as Lexus took great pains to hone the car's suspension in conjunction with these tyres.

There WAS something about sourcing them from Japan though, as the -supposedly identical-, tyres from Germany were SLIGHTLY different

Which I did; didn't cost any more, just had to wait about 10 days.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

I have always used the Dunlop D8z on the 16" wheels but they are becoming harder to find locally, and they dont appear to come in the size i want to fit to the new wheels. If you are aware of a supplier of D8z tyre in 225/55/17 please let me know.

I apreciate that this issue has been raised a number of times, and I have looked at many of the forum posts before I posted this one. The general opinion was that the D8z is the tyre to go for on standard wheels but it less conclusive when larger wheels are fitted.

What I am looking for is a point in the right direction before i part with a fairly large sum of money for five new tyres.

• 8 years later...

Old thread revived for update on my LS400

So, I've had the Borbet alloys fitted and put new Maxxi's on the front and Nexen's on the rear. I think the Borbets were refurbs from Poland and they are possibly the style on a smaller Lexus. Anyway, quite pelased with their appearance as the OEM's weren't flaking but impossible to clean between the pattern.

Yes I think I like the look and didn't cost a packet. Standard size of course.

Lexus%20new%20wheels%20CP_zpsmmfqnews.jp

• Like 1

yes - they go very nicely and dont look after market at all rather they look original - you car sits high at the front - why?

Must be something to do with the Cats - haunched on its back legs ready to pounce!

Looked at earlier models on images and maybe a tad higher but not much in it. Can't say why?

Perhaps its the rear springs which I have a new set to replace.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links