Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What I Hate About The New Is

One thing I don't like about its design is that 12v socket in the arm rest. Nearly every car plug I plug in are all very tall, and with one plugged it, it isn't possible to close the arm rest. The 12v socket is one a raised 'shelf' in the arm rest compartment, why couldn't they make it lower down?

One thing I don't like about its design is that 12v socket in the arm rest. Nearly every car plug I plug in are all very tall, and with one plugged it, it isn't possible to close the arm rest. The 12v socket is one a raised 'shelf' in the arm rest compartment, why couldn't they make it lower down?

I agree. I bought a three outlet splitter from Halfords that has a short plug and incorporates a blue LED. It lets me plug in a variety of devices with the lid closed and gives some light inside the box . . . . . :)

I agree. I bought a three outlet splitter from Halfords that has a short plug and incorporates a blue LED. It lets me plug in a variety of devices with the lid closed and gives some light inside the box . . . . . :)

There are quite a few posts on the arm rest and 12v plug if you search it on this forum.

The kink is down to L-Finesse design concept????...

I too think it makes the car look aggressive, esepcially with the expanse of metal that you see in the rear quarter panel, raked rear screen and high boot line. Almost coupe like.

However, all this L-Finess could have resulted in a small boot, cramped rear cabin, small rear doors. They seem to have forgotten the basics - people buy a 4 door car 'cos they need to stick kids in and need to use the back of the car :blush: ....else we'd all have 2 door cars...

It is actually quite a small problem, 'cos you do get used to it and the rest of car makes up for it.... :D

The only thing that frustrates me are the nanny features (SATNAV), though again I'm getting used to them now and the rattles, but again hopefully mine is fully cured.

lexusis250is350sidexe8.jpg

why o why did they do that.

car would look so much better if the window wouldn't have that stupid bend

moddedlexsidejt1.jpg

Through the magic of MS Paint (no comments on my art skills please :duh: ), I prefer the angled version as it gives the car a more purposeful look, and as it's only sheet metal from the outside so having it or not doesn't affect the internal dimensions. Referring to Jamboo's coupe comment - someone where I work didn't realise mine was a 4dr car B)

Rich Bee - You were obviously very bizzy today then. Don't stop there - how about some skirts, spoilers and a Sportback version...or a pickup truck :lol:

I like the way you've put the background in too...

Naaaaah - prefer mine the way it is with...

I can tell you're impressed with my computer wizadry :lol:

Original version for me as well me thinks, the flat window line makes it look like the back of the car is sagging down....

Dont get me started on complaints buddy ! :D

Incidentally what does ECT actually stand for ( apart from that dreadful mental illness treatment )

I know what it DOES, but why "ECT"

answers on a postcard please to.....

to start off....Electronic crap tidier

Elephant crap tipper

etc etc

Both of your's have the word crap - please explain your frame of mind... :lol:

Anyway, I reckon :

Extremely Cheap Thong (not thing) :blush:

Extra Chips Thanks :winky:

Exterminate Chav Toggle :tomato:

Easy, Cheap and Tight :shutit:

Evening Chinese Takeway :duh:

See - mine are all "Ch" instead of "c", what frame of mind am I in...? :question:

PS - back on topic - you've reminded me - I hate the lack of POI's...

haha, lexus have done really well with the design of the new IS, if the major gripes are with positioning of 12V sockets and angle of rear quarterlights... :D :D

Trooo, also the rattles...don't forget them rattles... :lol:

Ha ha nice one Jamboo :D

Exterminate Chav toggle - thats me fav :lol::lol:

Incidentally, I was actually serious about not knowing the TRUE meaning :)

Yeh those POIs -what crap ( there I go again :yawn: ) loads of useless ones like libraries and schools, but fast food joints ( just for a coffee and the loo ) NOTHING.

And another thing - I told you not to get me started !! - why the heck did they not fit a remote button to open the "ski hatch". It is darned near impossible to reach in and get at the bloomin ( crap ) handle from the boot ...(or trunk if you are from the other side of the pond )

I have to use this through load hatch a lot - 'cos the boot is so crappily small :lol::lol:

They told me ( Lexus GB ) that it was a security issue, as to why it was not openable from the inside. better tell all the mainstream manufacturers then...because I have had loads of cars Ford etc, that you can fold the seats down from the inside, to get access to the boot. Besides, if the security system is so good, how is thief gonna get into the cabin in the first place. B888acks if you ask me - crap actually !!

And ANOTHER thing....customer service is crap too. 3 letters sent to Steve Settle, and last one copied in to the dealer principal, and NOTHING , 3 weeks ago they were sent. Once they have your money ( and a lot of it too ) you dont matter any more. Forget the hype - your just another figure on the P+L account.

Profit before people etc etc. I included these sort of criticisms in my last letter ( in a far nicer and more professional manner ), and the response ?? See above :tsktsk: CRAP. I will never buy another Lexus.

Rant over.

...for now.

Ha ha nice one Jamboo :D

Exterminate Chav toggle - thats me fav :lol::lol:

Incidentally, I was actually serious about not knowing the TRUE meaning :)

Yeh those POIs -what crap ( there I go again :yawn: ) loads of useless ones like libraries and schools, but fast food joints ( just for a coffee and the loo ) NOTHING.

And another thing - I told you not to get me started !! - why the heck did they not fit a remote button to open the "ski hatch". It is darned near impossible to reach in and get at the bloomin ( crap ) hadle from the boot ...(or trunk if you are from the other side of the pond )

I have to use this through load hatch a lot - 'cos the boot is so crappily small :lol::lol:

I think it's Electronic Throttle Control, I may be wrong. Basically if it is that, then it's "fly-by-wire" control for the accelerator...I wonder what happens if you switch it off (can you switch it off, or is it just a "light"???)...so there is no physical connection - just transmitters and receivers...but again assuming that is what it is...

Us oilers have to rely on good old cables... :lol:

PS - as far as the hatch is concerned, you need "train" the remote control (aka the wife)

But that would be ETC - and I am pretty sure it is ECT.

I know it changes power delivery ( bit like PWR mode on others ) One setting allows smoother less agressive gear change ( winter /snow mode ) the other is "power" and changes up the cogs a bit slower giving more aggresssive acceleration

As for training little wifey to operate the hatch handle - she cant even reach it - no Honestly!

But that would be ETC - and I am pretty sure it is ECT.

I know it changes power delivery ( bit like PWR mode on others ) One setting allows smoother less agressive gear change ( winter /snow mode ) the other is "power" and changes up the cogs a bit slower giving more aggresssive acceleration

As for training little wifey to operate the hatch handle - she cant even reach it - no Honestly!

:lol: Mine car barely reach the pedals...your's must be as short as my wife - 4ft 11 and 3/4, though she maintains she's 5ft 2" :blush: and oh yes, another small niggle is the weight of the clutch in the Diesel - wife complains it's too heavy...

Anyway, I told you I wasn't sure about ECT - I have also heard it called the "Power" button, so you're right, it's not the fleebeweer at all. Too much techno in one car me thinks... I think the old IS had something like it too.

PS sorry to hear you've had some problems with the Cust Relations. Mine has been in a few times now, and I think 99% sorted. One rattle came back this morning and then disappeared...again in the centre dash...though this time it's the rattle behind the centre vents, not the speaker. Wife has told me NOT to let them take apart again. I suppose she's right - they could "install" more rattles inadvertantly. Like you, I am a little dismayed, but at the quality of the car (rather than Cust Relations), and not sure I would buy another. I want that RS4 next...

I actually quite like the lift in the rear door (or arrowhead design as Lexus calls it), the only thing I don't like so much about the design of the IS is that I think the rear is too high - especially when you see one at night, the parking lights are really high up which makes the car looks as though it has very odd proportions. But its quite minor compared to the design gripes I have with all the competitors (except the S60 which I still think is a great looking car despite being a few years old)

@Eunos800: I don't mean any disrespect here, but did you actually see an IS before you bought it? All your complaints seem to be things that you would have noticed if you took one out for a test drive....or are there other more serious faults that are accentuated by these niggles?

And if you think its tough getting to the back of this boot, try reaching to the back of a mk3 GS - that is some task!

I love whole design.

I don't like:

-when I put mp3 cd in, everytime I have to press multiple times the text button to see the track name (I don't have MM)

-when I turn on the internal air circulation, it stays this way all the time until I don't switch it off. I liked much more like it was on citroen, when after start it was turned off automatically.

-no automatic door locking

-when I lock the doors manually (during driving) when I open my door (driver door) only this door unlocks. No other door is unlocked.

-no automatic lights on (it's compulsory in Slovakia to have the ligths on during the day), I had to order a automatic lights kit on - 180euro

-when I'm waiting in the car, I can't work with windows, unless I switch on the ingnition (the second level) where is not recommended by the manual to stay for long.

-why the hell the rear curtain goes down when reversing?

-rain problem (water goes on front seats)

I love the car, but those are small things which could be easily sorted

I love the shape of the new one, really nice, love the small windows!

My only gripe is that stinking Air Bag On light that is permanently lit up, the amazing dash, beautiful full screen display for all your in car needs and then a stinking back lit air bad on symbol! Everyone who gets in my car says, whats that for, why is it lit up? So tempted to pull the bulb, if I could figure out how to get behind there, but then at my next service I may end up with a bill for a new air bag as they thought it failed or something stupid like that.

Quite a few niggles in this thread although most are fairly minor.

Have to say that mine has no rattles at all so they probably resolved the issue on later builds.

I agree with the comment about the air bag light..........horrible thing but sadly dictated by people who can't help admit responsibility for their own actions & just have to sue for compensation.

Not really made use of the 12v socket & don't foresee I ever will as I've never used one in a car to date so can't really comment. Should the AUX socket have a lead with it though or an I not looking hard enough?

Things I love about the car:

• The looks - fantastic
  • That torque - The car pulls like a train & just keeps going
  • MP3 Stereo - At last a vehicle that has this as standard kit
  • Speaker system - Great for standard kit
  • Heated seats - Handy this time of year

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links