Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rain X

Tango

Never tried it before, but bought some Rain X glass treatment wipes and also a bottle of the stuff with an applicator and applied it to front and rear screens and the door mirrors a couple of days ago.

Driving out of Bristol on the M5 yesterday and it poured down...the rain sensor kicked in and the wipers started to work, but I quickly realised I didn't need them at all so turned 'em off. The rain was hitting the screen and running up the glass continuously without effecting my view, certainly less than rain hitting an untreated screen between normal wiper action :hocus-pokus: magic..wish I'd tried it earlier....

I use it on the rear windscreen. I don't feel comfortable driving in the rain without my wipers on.

I presume it doesn't work so well if the screen gets a good dose of road grime, or does a few strokes of the wipers get rid of the crap and leave the Rain X to do it's stuff? It was definitely clearer vision even in such heavy rain than an untreated screen with the wipers working at top speed..

I use it on the rear windscreen. I don't feel comfortable driving in the rain without my wipers on.

I presume it doesn't work so well if the screen gets a good dose of road grime, or does a few strokes of the wipers get rid of the crap and leave the Rain X to do it's stuff? It was definitely clearer vision even in such heavy rain than an untreated screen with the wipers working at top speed..

I use it on the rear and side windows and it's great.

The problem with using it on the windscreen is that when it deteriorates (due to wear from the wipers or whatever) it smears shockingly. This can catch you out if it's not rained for a while but when it does you can't see a damn thing!

I'm currently using a set of PIAA wipers which are silicone impregnated (and you get some to apply to the screen) and it works almost as well as RainX but doesn't deteriorate.

You're not meant to use the wipers if you're using Rain X. I also find that if I use it on the front and do use the wipers then it smears the front screen.

Becareful using it this time of year especially with all the dirt / salt that gets thrown up off the road and motorways onto the front screen as you might find that when you try to wipe it off you'll smear the windscreen.

The problem with using it on the windscreen is that when it deteriorates (due to wear from the wipers or whatever) it smears shockingly. This can catch you out if it's not rained for a while but when it does you can't see a damn thing!

I guess the answer is to clean the screen regularly and re-apply then. I used Windex to clean the glass before applying the Rain X.

The screen smeared slightly when the wipers first came on, but after I turned them off the rain cleared all the smears away.

wife uses on her car...very rarely needs wipers on but if she needs to use them(esp. at low speed) screen does give a smeared look,but usually goes after a few seconds.Tried it on the lex but so dusty where i work that now only use if on holiday for a week or so

I use the RainX 2 part treatment... and it works wonders. The first one is just like a window polish (white bottle, white cream), that really cleans out all the grime and dirt... the second part smells of spirit (in the yellow bottle).

It does work really well... Infact i think i'll spend an hour this weekend to apply it to mine :)

Rain X, brother introduced it to me when brother used it on his Bike Helmet visor, so since then used it on all the car's I have had.

Works great on the rear and front screens, saves the wipers cause i use them at low speed, just smears of a sec or too. :D but the rain just slides off. Keep the screen dirt free regularly (damp newspaper i find works fine) and the rain x carries on working fine..

Recommend it all-day long

If it smears, it may be because the surplus has not been cleaned off properly. It is vital to let it dry fully and then to buff it until all signs of the material have disappeared and the glass has a clear, well polished finish. Look at the surface from an acute angle with the sky reflecting onto it in order to show up any residue.

It works brilliantly with my wipers set to auto. At low speeds the water reaches the sensor at the base of the screen and the wipers operate. At higher speeds all or most of the rain is driven up the screen and over the top and little or no water reaches the sensor. The wipers slow right down or stop altogether.

never tried rain-x but got my PIAA super silicone wipers. they coat the screen with silicone, so in rain, the water runs right off the screen. awesome at higher speeds. still use the wipers but not on a higher setting as when i had oem wipers.

never tried rain-x but got my piaa super silicone wipers. they coat the screen with silicone, so in rain, the water runs right off the screen. awesome at higher speeds. still use the wipers but not on a higher setting as when i had oem wipers.

Where did you get them from mate. I've been looking for some of these for the IS but can't find the thread.. :blush:

• 1 month later...
Its a waste of money, Halfords own brand is alot better and cheaper, Comparison from 'WHAT CAR' Magazine

Must be true then :whistling: but I don't think I'll change :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links