Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

M.o.t Every 2 Years

GWilso

Anyone read the sun this morning? pg16 the goverment are thinking off itroducing plans that allow cars to have mot's every 2 years and new cars not having their 1st untill 4 years old in a bid to save the motorist some cash........ :o are they feeling ok down there :lol:

T'was on the radio the other day and it would bring us in line with euro testing.

Personally I think it's step backwards - there's already too many heaps of junk I see with misaligned & defective lights, duff shock-absorbers and bald tyres without letting them run around for an extra 12 months.

They're not all OLD heaps of junk either.

4 years from new is too long as well - I would do 100 thousand miles in that time and there's plenty do more than that.

B)-->

QUOTE(T7RY B @ Nov 29 2006, 02:06 PM)

If they want to save the motorist money then keep it every 12 months but halve the price!

Keeps safety foremost.

Agree with that, i'd rather pay every year to know my car is safe to drive.

A lot can go wrong with a car in 2 years.

as a mot tester it is the worst thing that can happen to cars and the trade if they what to save people money cut the road tax

the mot is nearly all to the mot bay as vosa get 1.70per mot and the rest to the mot bay that has to pay for all the stuff needed and staff it is good that it goes up

as to say it is too much the mot should be worst as there are to many cars that are death traps and you cant fail the bits on the mot

why do you have to let the goverment tell you when to have a routine/safety check on your car

its your car and your safety !

most garages will happily do a thorough check at any time period

You have to consider that MOST drivers are not car enthusiasts like here on LOC, and don't give the maintenance & safety of their car a second thought as long as it gets them from A to B.

I think it should be included in the driving test to have a basic understanding of the mechanics - not to fix it, but just to know what's what, rather than bumbling about in blissful ignorance.

I'm sure most are mechanically clueless but still quite willing to trust their life to it.

could always introduce a service type MOT as in every 1 year its a minor MOT that you get a certificate for and the garage just checks major bits like tyre's and brakes so its quick and cheaper and the 2 year is the full MOT that is the same as it is now.

I like my cars in top condition and get things checked all the time but people are right that some just drive around in unsafe cars so there is benifits for having bianual MOT's and benifits of having anual MOT's

Just a quick thought

Craig

why do you have to let the goverment tell you when to have a routine/safety check on your car

You have to consider that MOST drivers are not car enthusiasts like here on LOC, and don't give the maintenance & safety of their car a second thought as long as it gets them from A to B.

I think it should be included in the driving test to have a basic understanding of the mechanics - not to fix it, but just to know what's what, rather than bumbling about in blissful ignorance.

I'm sure most are mechanically clueless but still quite willing to trust their life to it.

agree :)

the latest driving test does include a bit of mechanical testing, or more like maintenance testing

they have to identify bits of the engine, ie oil filler, brake fluid, tyre valves

the problem can occur when a complete numpty repairs or maintains the car, and it ends up a death trap,

unqualified persons are now forbidden to touch home electrics and gas supplies

yet a car that is capable of killing many innocent people has no restrictions on who can carry out work on it !!

and lets face it, an MOT is only valid for the day its carried out ;)

That was introduced a few years ago ;)

As long as a car is insured it doesn't bother me how other peoples cars are maintained.

OK, I will admit it was "a few" years ago when I took my test - I can't say that I've noticed an improvement in mechanical understanding.

As long as a car is insured it doesn't bother me how other peoples cars are maintained.

I seriously disagree with that - and so will you if a loved one is killed or injured as direct result of a poorly maintained vehicle being driven on the road.

I have driven in Turkey,Spain,Greece and in the USA. Seen some REAL bangers (that are roadworthy!)

I am glad that the MOT in this country is every year. There are too many unsafe cars on the road.

I agree with LEXICON How would you like it knowing that a car was unsafe (i.e. 20 months into it's MOT)

had hit your car and hurt your loved ones. The day after your MOT your brakes could fail or your chassis crack BUT you are still MOTed for 12 months (2 years)

You would'nt skimp on a service for your LEX

.You wouldn't miss a service entry, for your FLSH to sell it on.

The MOT test is a pain in the ar$e and we all dread it coming around BUT it is the most important document when selling or buying a car. It is a neccessary evil. And when you think about the cost,it is minimal spread over 12 months.

We spend more money on a set of mats!

MOTs are going up again in the new year...

i dont know if they are as it has only just gone up and reading the mot mags i get they say it will be a while yet before a increase

and lets face it, an MOT is only valid for the day its carried out

the mot is only vaild until it drives out the gate

i do think they should do something like the mot should be like a service as well as if a car come in with only one wheel nut and has got a wheel trim on and you cant see it you cant fail it

Even though I think it's a rip off price, I still think once a year is best.

If the government want to save us a few quid, make all MOT stations just that.

No repairs, no lies, no robbing old ladies, no bulls**t tales of woe to the non mechanically minded.

Well I can dream can't I? :whistling:

OK, I will admit it was "a few" years ago when I took my test - I can't say that I've noticed an improvement in mechanical understanding.

I seriously disagree with that - and so will you if a loved one is killed or injured as direct result of a poorly maintained vehicle being driven on the road.

you think a car that is 2 months into an mot is safer thann a car that is 20 months into an mot?

You think accidents are mainly caused by poorly maintained cars?? more like poorly maintained drivers

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links