Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Did you go to Lexus? as noel suggested some stealerships have been renowned for reccomending a change of discs with still 35% left

Is it me ? Bit taken aback to be told £135 on top of service for new front pads.is this normal? :duh:

Just had mine serviced and MOTd. Got the phone call to say new front pads needed as worn down unevenly. Pointed out that they had replaced the discs and pads last year only 8500 miles away so that sounded like poor original installation. Suddenly they skimmed the discs and put new pads in foc. Had to have new discs and pads on back but i was expecting that at 70,000.

It does reduce your faith in the service provided. It was a Lexus dealership.

I had to have the front disc brake clips replaced at 25,000 miles. These small steel clips had rusted. They probably cost about 5p to manufacture. The bill was £106. The dealer said it's a common fault that they need replacing so I thought 'why make them out of mild steel that rusts so easily?'.

He also said that on the RX they would expect to replace the front pads at about 20,000 - 25,000 miles. At 28,000 miles the front pads and discs had to be replaced on mine. This cost an astounding £391. The pads were £45, the discs £148 and the rest labour. So after 28,000 miles I'd spent a total of £500 on the front brakes!

I normally brake very gently so I was disappointed at the discs and pads both having to be replaced. I've taken my car to the Alps twice and inevitably had to drive with my foot on the brake for extended periods on the steep Alpine passes (selecting a low gear on the auto box isn't sufficient). I wonder whether this caused much of the wear on the front brakes.

So far (32,000 miles) the rear brakes seem to have plenty of life left in them. I certainly hope so!

I've just posted on the GS forum, I took mine to Kwikfit for under £300 they repaced the front discs and pads, balanced all 4 wheels, stopped an exhaust rattle and replaced a front sidelight bulb. As I was leaving they told me that the discs are guaranteed for 12 months and the brake pads are guaranteed for LIFE, when they wear out they replace them for free !!

I had to have the front disc brake clips replaced at 25,000 miles. These small steel clips had rusted. They probably cost about 5p to manufacture. The bill was £106. The dealer said it's a common fault that they need replacing so I thought 'why make them out of mild steel that rusts so easily?'.

He also said that on the RX they would expect to replace the front pads at about 20,000 - 25,000 miles. At 28,000 miles the front pads and discs had to be replaced on mine. This cost an astounding £391. The pads were £45, the discs £148 and the rest labour. So after 28,000 miles I'd spent a total of £500 on the front brakes!

I normally brake very gently so I was disappointed at the discs and pads both having to be replaced. I've taken my car to the Alps twice and inevitably had to drive with my foot on the brake for extended periods on the steep Alpine passes (selecting a low gear on the auto box isn't sufficient). I wonder whether this caused much of the wear on the front brakes.

So far (32,000 miles) the rear brakes seem to have plenty of life left in them. I certainly hope so!

Same thing CLICK HERE:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=38084&hl=

I think you're a brave person entrusting the Spanner Monkeys at any FastFit type of palce to 'work' on your Lexus - free brake pads for life or not. I doubt that they'd use any quality OE manufacturer components on your car - brakes and tyres are two areas in particualr where you should never dream about skimping on - these are life critical systems - and you always get what you pay for. You are definitely a brave man, just hope you're behind me and not infront when we're driving.

Does anyone know of any resource that might give a guide as to how toc hange the brake pads and discs on the RX300? I'm interested in doing this sort of work myself as I feel confident having done this sort of work on our BMW 330 - anyone help at all?

Having phoned around some Dealers, the price DaveMG quotes for brake work seems to be about the norm. Prices do compare 'favourably' with BMW (having had quotes for similar work to be done on our E46 330 in the past) - but now as then, I bought genuine manufacturer parts and did it all myself.

Following on from this thread it made me wonder about the brakes on our car. Looking back through the service reicepts it appears that it has had only the one brake change since new, this being the front pads replaced @ circa 30k miles in January 2006 (by Lexus Hull). They charged £55 (pads) + £65 (labour) and both prices +VAT to change them in addition to the cost of the 30k service. So it seems that this car has gone 30k miles before the (front) brakes were replaced. At the 30k service the rears (pads) were estimated to be about 60% worn - the discs seem fine TBH. The car has driven some 6k miles since that service so I did wonder what the true condition of the pads was.

Popped down to Lexus Milton Keynes and bought a complete set of pads (cost £80-odd pounds inc. VAT) and spent the early part of today fititng them.

Compared to the BMW, they seem a little easier as there are no sensor wires etc. to fiddle with (read: break whislt removing :P ) - you only really need to replace the pads as the shims and clips and all other assemblies remain the same. OK so it took me two-and-a-bit-hours but I learnt so much. I would certainly say its a job that most people can do if they are confident with a set of spanners and good heand-eye co-ordination :)

Although the fronts really didn't need changing (about 40% worn) I'm glad I did the rears though as they were about 80% worn. I'm hoping that these pads will last another 20k miles - but either way, I can now change them and save the labour cost :)

If you're going to do this, don't forget to apply a litlte copper grease on the wheel hub and alloy so it doesn't 'stick'...

• 1 month later...
Just had mine serviced and MOTd. Got the phone call to say new front pads needed as worn down unevenly. Pointed out that they had replaced the discs and pads last year only 8500 miles away so that sounded like poor original installation. Suddenly they skimmed the discs and put new pads in foc. Had to have new discs and pads on back but i was expecting that at 70,000.

It does reduce your faith in the service provided. It was a Lexus dealership.

I think you should name and shame, i had a similar problem with the dealer who is not a million miles from you :angry:

Lexus Leeds have just done my 20k service and have told me the car needs new front discs and pads fitting at a cost of £400.

Seems wrong to me on a car that has done only 20k gentle (almost all motorway) miles and I am going to raise this with them and get another dealer to look at them to.

Leeds told me at MOT time that my fronts were 80% worn and would need doing "soon". 3000 miles later (at 60k) they were curiously OK again, and are still going strong now at 68k.

I bought a set of pads after the MOT and am still waiting for them to actually be needed - then I will fit them myself.

BTW my first set of front disks and pads lasted 40k.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links