Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheels - Again!

kernow

Chaps,

I know this subject has been done to death over the past few months but...

My IS 200 was registered in late November 2002 cleaning the wheels at the weekend I noticed bubbles of corrosion have started appearing on the wheel spokes!

I read somewhere that this problem was fixed in April last year. Does anybody have a similar age car with the same issue?

Also if they get swapped under warranty do I have to accept a reconditioned set or should I insist for new. Does anybody know the legal position on this?

Thanks,

Kernow.

My IS 200 was new in March 2002 and the wheels are corroding. Lexus have confirmed that they will only offer refurbished alloys. I am not satisfied with this response as the refurbished alloys do not have the bright 'milled' finish on the rim or front edge of spokes. If Lexus can sell new IS 200's with the 'two tone' wheels then i do not see why i should accpet refurbished alloys that are painted all over. I'll keep you posted.

On my July 02 200 SE i've just had all 5 wheels changed for refurbished ones, Lexus Reading gave me the choise of new or refurb and showed me both.

The refurbed ones at Reading are NOT painted all over , BUT are laquered all over so you can still see the ground metal edge we like so much.

So far as the laquer on the refurbed set it is much thicker and they seem easier to clean too...

BTW no arguements , Mark just offered 5 new or refurbed ones as mine had allready started to pit.

And believe me I've been known to go out in the evening with a bucket and sponge and just wash off the brake dust !

Rgds steve

PS please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this ????? :blush:

And believe me I've been known to go out in the evening with a bucket and sponge and just wash off the brake dust !

Rgds steve

PS please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this ????? :blush:

You're not alone.... I've done this too! :whistling:

PS - Same problem. Car was new in Jan 2002, but wheels are corroding badly now. Have never used abrasives or solvents to clean them, just soap & water. Virtually every other manufacturer can fit decent alloys, so why not Lexus??

I was doing the same thing too...........mebe......we're all nuts :withstupid:

I got all 5 replaced at bracknell (same as reading i believe?).......and im not sure if they are refurbs or new????? (is there a way to tell?)

Far better than the objects they replaced though.

My mates IS200 is on a 51 plate and corrosion has started to come through. Mine is November 2002 and there is definetly more laquer on my wheels compared to his, my wheels also feel smoother. Lexus Reading are going to change all of his wheels but I don't know if its with refurbs or new.

My car has just had it's first birthday. It has also just had all the wheels replaced at the 20k mile service.

No mention was made of new or refurbed - but they certainly look new! The chap told me that the new ones (mine) have the edge at the back of the spokes beveled .... the originals were so sharp you could cut yourself cleaning the backs!!

In fact, on the new one I've just ordered - I'm tempted to spec the 18" alloys. Aside from the fact that they look great, I'll bet they don't rot nearly as fast as the standard 17" ones!? Hmmm... think I've seen someone on here advertising a set :)

In fact, on the new one I've just ordered - I'm tempted to spec the 18" alloys. Aside from the fact that they look great, I'll bet they don't rot nearly as fast as the standard 17" ones!? Hmmm... think I've seen someone on here advertising a set :)

Don't be so sure, talk to Andy Hart he had his 18's replaced after about 8 months I think :huh:

In fact, on the new one I've just ordered - I'm tempted to spec the 18" alloys. Aside from the fact that they look great, I'll bet they don't rot nearly as fast as the standard 17" ones!?  Hmmm... think I've seen someone on here advertising a set  :)

Don't be so sure, talk to Andy Hart he had his 18's replaced after about 8 months I think :huh:

Youch! Thought the 18" wheels were going to be my way of escaping from the troubles that plague the standard 17" ones.... :( Good job I mentioned it, was going to the dealer tomorrow to ask him to add them to the order!! I see Lexus now offer three types of 18" alloy - wonder if they all suffer the same problem?

I am having my replacements fitted today courtesy of Lexus Ipswich.

They are using a mobile wheel/tyre fitter to do the work ( i was not impressed as they dicked me around a fair bit, cancelling my appointment to bring the car to their workshop at the last minute ). This guy was incidently the same guy who supplied my four new tyres last year - and who, when I went outside to check on the progress, was sitting on the pavement playing my guitar that was in the boot!!!! - cheeky baaaaaarstad! I told Paul Franklin at Lexus Ipswich but he still sent this guy out yesterday to my house.

Anyway after moaning that it would take a couple of hours and he was only getting £30 for doing it (a patent lie obviously) he then proceeded to snap my locking wheel nut key..... He then had to put the wheels back on and I have to wait for Lexus to get a new set of wheel nuts overnight and then have the same plonker come back to my work today, to no doubt, make other c**k ups.

Really not impressed - what happened to the courtesy car and free valet I always got at Bristos in Ipswich when they had the franchise.

Also the 'new' wheels were in boxes advertising a refurbishing company. The previously hard edges are totally rounded off. However the wheels do look good and have been laquered very well.

Here's hoping it gets sorted this afternoon.....

Really not impressed - what happened to the courtesy car and free valet I always got at Bristos in Ipswich.

Here's hoping it gets sorted this afternoon.....

I hope you get everything sorted today mate.

Know what you mean about the valet though - Ipswich had my car the week i was on hols.

Bit of a state when i collected it... like a chalk bag exploded on the inside :angry:

Going back for a steering wheel + alignment - I'm told will be cleaned then - let's hope so ...

Though i think i'll probably do it myself this weekend anyway :blink:

The new Ipswich setup does seem a bit odd to me ...

Bristos was a Lexus + Toyota centre which seems sensible enough ...

I thought they lost the franchise partly coz Lexus want seperate Lexus dealerships.

Now we have a Lexus + Jeep + Chrysler centre AND now it's Mitsubishi too !!

I questioned whether this was progress once before in these forums ...

and a representative from Lexus GB got in touch to assure me it was :blink:

Said he was giving Hadleigh the chance to expand their good reputation to Ipswich.

Hmmm, we'll see ...

Lexus 'showroom' is seperated off but service + parts is combined with the other marques.

There is a dedicated Lexus tech though - helpful chap, pretty switched on ...

Very nice people but i think swamped with the additional franchises ..

and this IS adversely affecting the service.

I'm not complaining though ....

Paul sorted refurb wheels for me and more importantly ....

Repaint of my flakey front bumper - Bristos arrogantly declined to under warranty.

This turned into a bit of an essay - best sever my fingers to prevent it going any further :D

Update of 'dealer review' section to follow once my service etc is all finished.

Yes Tony it does seem to be having some teething problems at the moment - it's like they don't have the time or resources to sort things properly.

Initially I was very impressed because Paul ordered my refurbed wheels without even seeing the current state of mine, told me they would be in within the week and they were. He then scheduled for me to take the car in on Tuesday afternoon (2 days ago) to get it done. However v-mail on my mobile over the weekend said something about some blag problem with their scheduling computer system and for me to call back and rearrange. I called back on monday, Paul said he didn't know yet and would call back - no call back. I called tuesday - still didn't know when they could do it. I explained that I need the car for work and only had Mon, Tues, Wed off this week - which is when he arranged for Mr J. Oker of a tyre fitter to do it. How is that labour by a proper Lexus mechanic?!

Anyway the guy now has 3 minutes to get here so we will see..... :angry:

Hi Everybody :D

I Had my car booked in at Lexus Stockport to have the Gold Badging done.

While I was waiting to pay, I asked the lady about the situation on alloys.

Mine has very very slight blotching on them, in the inner curves.

She went out and had a quick look & told me she would replace them under warranty!

I asked her about the type of alloys I'd get & she said 5 brand New ones, like the ones I have with the milled finish.

I've used Lexus Stockport three times and give then :P 10 out of 10 :P for customer service. :D

Amit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links