Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Come On, Help Me Out...

Hey there everyone!

Before I start, I just wanna clarify to you all that I ain't vain in any way alright lol........!

I'm wanting some help from you all to tone up and shape up for the Summer.

Here are my "stats" :D

Height - 6ft 3"

Weight - 11st

I don't really want to loose weight, but rather I want to tone up. Getting a ouch after all my daft weekday kebab pit-stops at night before I go home. I used to easily fill every evening of the week with a tray of thine glorious roadkill - this has long since stopped (this year) and I want to do my best to change my ways.

Anyone know where I can get one of these:

fosters-lager.gif

Sorry, I meant one of these lol:

6-pack-abs-male-torso.JPG

No, but seriously, if any of you either go to the gym or are health fanatics / trainers I'd love your input please.

Whether you tell me what exercises to do and recommendations for food - I DON'T MIND!

Thank you for all help,

Regards,

A very not vain JAMIE! :D

Hope through my plea, I've also managed to make a few of you laugh :) :D

6' 3" and 11 st :o

You need the 1st six pack to put on weight first.

Seriously though why don't you go to your local fitness centre and tell them what you want, and they will design a programme for you, including diet.

That would be my suggestion too. You're obviously motivated, so go join a gym and talk to the staff there. That's why they're there - they'll be only too pleased to tell you what you need to do.

But in general terms: cut the burgers and KFC you eat, grill rather than fry, have boiled spuds rather than chips, and eat more salad - especially when you're after a snack. Take up cycling or running, use the stairs rather than the escalator or lift, and most importantly find someone to go to the gym with - you'll egg each other on.

Also be aware you won't see noticeable results in the mirror for a few months, and results are gradual even then - but when you meet someone you've not seen in a while, and they comment on how you've toned right up, it's worth it... ;-)

Good luck mate!

my mates doing a fitness thing at the moment, all he is eating is pasta with tuna, grilled chicken breast without the skin.

no soft drinks/tea/etc only water.

He does different weight exercises every night (dunno how long for) and plays football wed/sat and sunday.

he has put so much into it, been doing it for a few months and i have not noticed any change...he may feel healthier in himself tho'?

Alot too give up in my oppinion, i like rubbish food :D

Good luck! :)

What you wanna know m8???

Pm me or give me a bell and i will help you , its very easy when you know how :D all just simple maths :D

To lose weight take on board less than u need , to gain do the opposite.

I will gladly have a chat wth you pal

You will generally make alot of good gains in the first few months then everything settles down and the long hard slog begins this is were the determination really comes in.

From meeting you i dont think your going to be a monster but we can pack some meat on them bones :D

Pm me or give me a bell and i will help you , its very easy when you know how :D all just simple maths :D

You will generally make alot of good gains in the first few months then everything settles down and the long hard slog begins this is were the determination really comes in.

From meeting you i dont think your going to be a monster but we can pack some meat on them bones :D

Hay Dave

What chance have i got mate :question: or am i past the point of repair :lol:

You dont have to cut everything out surely!!!

I eat a KFC every now and then (by that a mean once or twice a month) and i never feel any unhealthier as long as you eat properly and regular excercise.

Everything in moderation!!

I'm just starting the summer training ready for the footie season.

Gord - Noone's past the point of no repair although there is alot of work to be done :lol: :P

Isn't it ll to do with calorific in-take?

Depends on your metabolism, but try to eat green veg and unfried foods, and/or just cut your food intake by 10%...seriously - you'll see it all slide off if you can be strict over 4 weeks...and do loads of sit-ups...start gently and work your way up...

Just make sure you eat a variety of things to keep your vits and mins up to scratch

Height - 6ft 3"

Weight - 11st

Recently been held in Basra? :duh:

Kidding...Bulldog should sort you out with a plan.

I currently wrapped up with my shoot which is this weekend.

Hay Dave

What chance have i got mate :question: or am i past the point of repair :lol:

Nah mate youre a future Mr Universe candidate :winky:

my mates doing a fitness thing at the moment, all he is eating is pasta with tuna, grilled chicken breast without the skin.

no soft drinks/tea/etc only water.

Good luck! :)

This is where I need to change my ways, I'm not an addict, but I do drink fizzy pop. I am a big fan however of water and milk. So, Phase 1 - No more fizzy drinkage!

Thank you, Dave, I would really appreciate your help matey.

my degree was in sports science (and chemistry) and done a fair few health and nutrition, physiology and fitness and training modules.

i'll chat to ya on msn next time ur on mate :D

Oh you'll come in handy lol. CHeers Rob, will speak to you later possibly. Thanks!

--------------------------

Hellow everyone,

Thanks for the replies - so many and so quick!

Fist off, aye, I'm 11st and carry it pretty well, however, it's not the loosing weight that I'm interested in, it's the toning up and shaping up.

I've changed my diet completely and often have tuna salads now :(

I used to eat pizzas every night. The heaviest I've been was around 13st. It's just I have really issues getting in shape.

Just to give you an insight into my current lifestyle:

When I can, I wake up Saturday mornings and go for a 30 minute jog

Every day I lift a pathetic 10kg per arm and 15 reps per arm (twice a day)

A few months ago, I tried 20 sit ups and 20 leg lifts every day as well, but feck all came through. Got pretty disappointed with that to be honest.

I was a member at a Wigan gym over Christmas, but that quickly phased out sadly.

I am seriously going to commit if anyone can help me out with a routine, including food and exercise.

If you could help me out Dave, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Jamie

I'm a similar build 6' 2" about 10.5 stone,

if you want good muscle tone and a flat toned stomach then Pilates is the answer. Really - its easy, good variety in the exercises and tones the whole body, but particularly the stomach. I had to take it up after a back op because its really good for supporting the back. Gauranteed Results :D

if you want good muscle tone and a flat toned stomach then Pilates is the answer.

Are you for real? :lol::lol:

I'm 11st and carry it pretty well, however, it's not the loosing weight that I'm interested in, it's the toning up and shaping up.

I wouldnt have thought you would have carried that but perhaps blown away at that weight/height ratio. :lol:

Answer quick and simple without seeing pics of you and also without knowing current bf levels (although i can tell you are classic ectomorph):

You need weight resistance training; join a decent gym.

Increase your calorie intake to 3500+ cals a day (keep it 70% clean, as you are naturally lean).

Nothing wrong with lifting nothing. Dont worry everyone starts somewhere.

Keep your cardio (your jogging) at a steady pace (nothing intense or explosive). Also dont do too much. Once or twice a week is more tahn enough for you.

"The ectomorph's first objective is gaining weight and muscle mass.Strength and endurance will need to be developed and muscle mass develops very slowly. Stay with the basic exercises and include power moves that build maximum mass. Do an entire training workout, but take longer rest periods if you need to. Take in more calories than you are accustomed to and use weight-gaining and protein drinks to supplement your food intake. Try not to expend to many calories by keeping cardio to a minimum saving them for muscle building."

Ok bud? :winky:

the base to any training regime is a sound cardiovascular pyramidal base. without that, you have nothing.

yes, by all means lift weights, but cardio is key!! if you wanted a fully structured and personalised training plan, the absoloute best thing you could do would be to have some tests run in the sports science labs to calculate VO2 max etc etc. they are always after volunteers and i'm sure i could sort it out for ya......loughborough uni is the best in the UK for this stuff mate.

like i said, we'll chat on msn, probably sunday night as i'm away all weekend. :D :D

the base to any training regime is a sound cardiovascular pyramidal base. without that, you have nothing.

yes, by all means lift weights, but cardio is key!! if you wanted a fully structured and personalised training plan, the absoloute best thing you could do would be to have some tests run in the sports science labs to calculate VO2 max etc etc. they are always after volunteers and i'm sure i could sort it out for ya......loughborough uni is the best in the UK for this stuff mate.

like i said, we'll chat on msn, probably sunday night as i'm away all weekend. :D :D

LOL :lol:

Yes i agree a little as to cardio being needed to keep healthy function of the cardiovascular system/heart and also the main key being keeping bf levels under control.

However look at what he wants to achieve, i dont think you have understood. All the cardio in the world isnt going to get him his goals, so your stance is fundamentally flawed in logic.

Real world experience and collective date not some text book for reference being the key.

You train at all?

mate, for getting in shape, I highly recommend resistance training combined with some sort of cardiovascular training (so think weights 3 times a week, with running/cycling/rowing 3 times a week), give one day for rest!

Focus on compound movements, so exercises like pull ups/chin ups, dips, bench press, squats, deadlifts. The chin up bars are often least used in the gym, but if you put some effort into it, will reward you with fantastic results. Focus on good technique rather than trying to add as much weight on as possible.

Cycling is better than running IMHO, as it's less impact on your knees (we all get old one day).

Try and do lots of work on core stability - swiss ball exercises..

You might want to consider getting a trainer initially anyway, to show you good techniques..best way to avoid getting injuries due to improper technique...

Eat 6 small meals a day. If you really want to lose body fat, then don't eat any carbs after 4pm. Eat as much meat/veggies/salad as you want after 4pm tho.

Drink lots and lots of water.

It's 1/3 sleep/rest, 1/3 form/technique, and 1/3 eating good balanced food.

Remember, everyone has a 6 pack waiting to be discovered, but generally it's a matter of genetics that determine whether you can get a 6 pack or not. Most people cannot.

keep us posted!

Not sure if this is a bit Off Topic, but .....

What do you all think of the Body Mass Index calculations.

I don’t feel they are that accurate, as they don’t take in the actual build of a person.....

Either that or I'm possibly a Fat Git. :lol:

I don’t feel they are that accurate, as they don’t take in the actual build of a person.....

Your a bit pear shape but those glasses really dont suit you ..... that is you in your avatar isnt it? :lol:

it's a rough guideline but to be honest, cannot be relied upon. a better marker of how healthy you are is your body fat levels. a guy with a muscular build and a really obese out of shape guy can both have the same "above average" BMI - go figure

wish i was 6.3 and 11 stone ,i am 6.2 and 14 stone .problem is 2 stone of it is on my belly :crybaby: .dont now how old you are but wait until you hit your late 30,s and the weight piles on and is harder to shift .good luck with it though as it is hard to keep it up for a long time as your comitment fades and the visits top the gym get shorter and the ones to the bar longer :P .

it's a rough guideline but to be honest, cannot be relied upon. a better marker of how healthy you are is your body fat levels. a guy with a muscular build and a really obese out of shape guy can both have the same "above average" BMI - go figure

A rough guideline for the general population is correct as Maneesh has said, throw in the factor of ppl who are involved in physical activity and the whole thing is useless.

eg: My normal bodweight is 224lbs @ 14% bodyfat - according to BMI i am obese.

I am currently 201lbs @ 9% bodyfat - according to BMI i am still obese (see below) LMFAO!!! :lol::lol:

dsc00599mj6.jpg

BTW The bit on the six pack being a genetic predisposition is true. As mentioned everyone has abdominal muscles its just the diet which brings it out. :winky:

Oh yeah excuse the flowery **** in the background...mothers...tut..

That was taken 3 weeks ago and i am even further cut now.

if you want good muscle tone and a flat toned stomach then Pilates is the answer.

Are you for real? :lol::lol:

I'm 11st and carry it pretty well, however, it's not the loosing weight that I'm interested in, it's the toning up and shaping up.

I wouldnt have thought you would have carried that but perhaps blown away at that weight/height ratio. :lol:

Answer quick and simple without seeing pics of you and also without knowing current bf levels (although i can tell you are classic ectomorph):

You need weight resistance training; join a decent gym.

Depends on what you're after - something sustaineable or whether you want to waddle around with excess bulk. don't knock it until you've tried it. I've found everyword of the following true.

Pilates - its benefits

What is Pilates? An innovative system of mind-body exercise evolved from the principles of Joseph Pilates.

Pilates dramatically transforms the way your body looks, feels and performs. It builds strength without excess bulk, creating a sleek, toned body and a flat abdomen.

It teaches body awareness, good posture and easy, graceful movement. Pilates improves flexibility, agility and economy of motion. It can even help alleviate back pain.

Professional dancers have known the benefits of Pilates for decades. Top athletes use it for strength, flexibility, and injury prevention.

Developed from the rehabilitation techniques of Joseph Pilates, Pilates is a safe, sensible exercise system using a floor mat or equipment, that will help you look and feel your very best. No matter what your age or condition.

The Benefits of Pilates

Build strength without "bulking up" - gain long, lean muscles and flexibility

Conventional workouts tend to build short, bulky muscles - the type most prone to injury. Pilates elongates and strengthens, improving muscle elasticity and joint mobility. A body with balanced strength and flexibility is less likely to be injured.

Develop a strong core - flat abdominals and a strong back

Building on the principles of Joseph Pilates, Pilates exercises develop a strong "core," or center of the body. The core consists of the deep abdominal muscles along with the muscles closest to the spine. Control of the core is achieved by integrating the trunk, pelvis and shoulder girdle.

Create an evenly conditioned body and prevent sports injuries

In conventional workouts, weak muscles tend to get weaker and strong muscles tend to get stronger. The result is muscular imbalance - a primary cause of injury and chronic back pain. Pilates conditions the whole body, even the ankles and feet. No muscle group is over trained or under trained. Your entire musculature is evenly balanced and conditioned, helping you enjoy daily activities and sports with greater ease and less chance of injury.

Learn efficient patterns of motion

Pilates exercises train several muscle groups at once in smooth, continuous movements. By developing proper technique, you can actually re-train your body to move in safer, more efficient patterns of motion - invaluable for injury recovery, sports performance, good posture and optimal health.

Be confident and safe

No other exercise system is so gentle to your body while giving it a challenging workout. Many of the exercises are performed in reclining or sitting positions, and most are low impact and partially weight bearing. Pilates is so safe, it is used in physical therapy facilities to rehabilitate injuries.

And be challenged

Pilates is also an extremely flexible exercise system. Modifications to the exercises allow for a range of difficulty ranging from beginning to advanced. Get the workout that best suits you now, and increase the intensity as your body conditioning improves.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links