Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What About An Is 250 Sel Auto?

Hello out there,

New member in the very slow process of parting with 30K on a new car. Have found the clubs forums very interesting.

Had an Audi A4, great car, did everything I wanted, now I fancy a change. Looking at BMW's, the more I look the less convinced I become.

Saw Lexus ad on TV so went on internet and found your website, after reading your comments and wanting an automatic am interested in a 250 SEL Auto.

Nearest dealerships are Manchester and Bolton, I know they are under the same management, what do you think about them? It's a bit too far to Stockport, Chester and Carlisle but not out of the question.

Thanks.

Never had car dealings with any of them but have been into Manchester and Bolton and the staff have been very pleasant.

As for the car the IS250 SEL Auto is the one to go for, get the MM package (Multimedia) and you'll have all the toys you would ever want, and more besides...

Exiled, I left the BMW marque (last one 330Ci Coupe Sport - fantastic car) for exactly the car you're considering. Must say I'm very pleased; not got 230+ bhp, but does everything with more refinement, less petrol, and don't be fooled - it's certainly no slouch, and the standard in the SE-L Mark Levinson 300 watt hi-fi / MM package - well, what can I say!

The dealer shouldn't be too much of an issue (pretty much standardised across the patch, although some really are exceptionally good) as the only time you will probably need to see the dealer is for the purchase and the annual service.

There are a couple of really good guys on the site, so I'm sure they'll chip in and give you all the information that's necessary to help you to make the right, considered purchase :winky:

Best of luck!

Mark

As for the car the IS250 SEL Auto is the one to go for, get the MM package (Multimedia) and you'll have all the toys you would ever want, and more besides...

Ditto that! we've gone from Jag X-type to A3 3.2 DSG to Golf GTi MK5 and Boxster S to Lexus IS250 MM. The IS is simply an awesome motor to own and enjoy. on a trip into the heart of London last week it was faultless and i couldn't imagine a better car to be in.

I don't mind admitting that i didn't really get the Lexus at first, but it gets under your skin pretty quickly.

happy shopping :winky:

Ditto that! we've gone from Jag X-type to A3 3.2 DSG to Golf GTi MK5 and Boxster S to Lexus IS250 MM. The IS is simply an awesome motor to own and enjoy. on a trip into the heart of London last week it was faultless and i couldn't imagine a better car to be in.

I don't mind admitting that i didn't really get the Lexus at first, but it gets under your skin pretty quickly.

happy shopping :winky:

• 5 months later...

great choice. just bought an ex-demo sel auto with multimedia, and should be getting it next weekend. bought it from lexus manchester, and the staff there are incredibly polite. they also give a very 'personal' feel, like they want you to buy the car for your benefit, not for their profit. however, the beige oakham leather will probs need lots of cleaning, so maybe u will need grey

I love mine. I've owned IS200 Sports since 1999 so this is a bit of a change. Today I took her round my usual stamping ground with gusto for the first time and I have to say I was impressed. She felt far more stable, and that's "far" with a capital "F". It's a completely different car. Much more solid on the road. She holds the road like a limpet - my old '200 Sport was scary by comparison. As for pulling out from side roads - I beat myself up about having an auto, but I am so glad I did. 0-40 on a busy dual carriageway in no time at all and no worries about stalling/mis-shifting.

All in all I feel the IS250 is a better car than the IS200. That's not surprising because the IS200 is an "old" car - I had my first one nearly ten years ago, and when I dropped my last one off at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, she was still as good as the day I picked her up. The IS250 is a different beast. You sit in it and it wraps you up - you don't sit on it. Sad to say, the IS250 is the BMW 3 Series the IS200 should have been from Day One.

I love it. In fact, I love it a lot. I don't miss having to change gear. I love having rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rear view mirrors, parking camera and parking sensors. It's the dog's bits. The Multimedia option is awesome. My friends/colleagues have noticed that the lights go up and down when I start it up at night and they wish their cars had lights under their door mirrors.

I'm 40 years old though. I had my first IS when I was 31. A six speed box and sat nav was the be all and end all. Nine years on and I'm loving my auto box and flappy paddles when I need them (which ain't often!).

Would I have bought anything else? It's a simple answer. No.

You will not go wrong with this car - it is sensational. I have the IS250 sport with MM, and my only (and minor) regret is not going for the SEL Auto, and this is because of the experiences of the others here. I have gotten used to the notchy manual gearbox, otherwise I cannot otherwise fault the 250. I too have beige cellensia interior and the color complements the exterior colour, though I suspect I will have to have it valeted every year. Fantastic engine, the multimedia is unbelievable and the car looks a lot better in real life than the pics suggest.

There is simply no comparison with the unreliable and mean-specified BMW, or the new Mercedes C class which looks like a Rover 75 and probably drives like one, the Audi with the awful engine and obnoxious dealership.

Hello out there,

New member in the very slow process of parting with 30K on a new car. Have found the clubs forums very interesting.

Had an Audi A4, great car, did everything I wanted, now I fancy a change. Looking at BMW's, the more I look the less convinced I become.

Saw Lexus ad on TV so went on internet and found your website, after reading your comments and wanting an automatic am interested in a 250 SEL Auto.

Nearest dealerships are Manchester and Bolton, I know they are under the same management, what do you think about them? It's a bit too far to Stockport, Chester and Carlisle but not out of the question.

Thanks.

Other then quality issues I have with my IS250 auto sel mm I was faced with the same dilemma 4 months ago, go for the BMW 320 d sport auto or another IS250 auto as my second car and then trade in the wifes IS 250 in the summer and go for another IS 250 auto as the wife really likes it .

Hmmmmmmm after some thought and the problems that we can all get with cars went for the BMW and to date a very good car ,will trade the IS 250 in very soon and because if the amount of oil I am burning and a serious intermittent start up rattle I will not be buying another Lexus .( still waiting for a response from Lexus customer care )

If you get a good one then it’s the dogs do das and I love all the toys and ride and when you slip it into sport mode it can be a serious licence looser with a great bark coming from that V six engine.

All in all you pay your money and takes your chance with all manufactures it all depends on how they respond when you have a problem with their product.

Cheers

Swager

Hi

Seriously pleased with my is 250 SEL. Watch the servicing costs though - just had a 20,000mile service at a cool £500. Still the car is worth it - unlike the 220d which I had before (notchy manual gearbox, poor take off and nowhere near the economy quoted). The 250 is a different beast altogether.

I have had several BMWs and didn't appreciate the build quality of the last one and vowed never to buy one again. Also had the previous Merc C-Class which I also loved but on balance the Lexus is better.

• 2 months later...
Hi

Seriously pleased with my is 250 SEL. Watch the servicing costs though - just had a 20,000mile service at a cool £500.

I bought a three year service package with my new one for £557. Is that a bargain then ?

I've just bought an IS250 SE MM Auto and so far very impressed. Did the same thing - looked at the 3-series, A4 and C-class. C-class is just not nice, the A4 is good but a little dull with restricted choice of engines and the 3-series is just "common" - i.e. everyone's got one.

I looked at both the SE and SE-L and found that I couldn't justify the extra cost of the SE-L but definitely go for the MM. Mine is Cardoxtan with Oakham and, I don't have too many problems keeping the Oakham clean.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links