Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Stripping Out

Ellz

Well at weekend got a bit bored and not got any money so thought. What can i do, so stripped out the sub and the amp running it, and the boot lining etc. Ended up weighing everything and saving 45kg.

Speaking to some people on other forums, you can lift up carpet and strip all sound insulation then relay carpets, or even keep carpets out.

Does any one know how much the sound insulation weighs ???? and maybe carpet.

Also im taking its glued down or is it just fastened or something.

I only no of one car stripped which is the monster, matt you got any ideas ??????

Cheers Elliott

The 'race car' which ended up as mats 1st drift mobile was the 1st one to be stripped and AFAIK he weighed just about everything that came off, so he should hopefully be able to answer :)

why ??

if you are that bored, you can come round and wash my pug :P

Im not that bored LoL

Isn't stripping sound proofing off going abit too far?? :lol:

Well its not my daily driver now so if i can save 100-200kg stripping bits and bobs out it'll all help, especially as i cant raise the boost level LoL, i know most of the cars at the TDi day were around the 1500kg mark so if stripping eveything/most things out gets it to 1300-1400kg thats all good with me.

I know that the sound deadening can be quite a dense material but the question is whether there is enough of it in the car to make a real difference. Then again I suppose every little bit counts when weight saving.

The rear seats and door cards could go if you have no need for extra seats. The heaviest part of the whole lot though is prob the 2 front seats as they have the electric machanisms and air bags etc etc. If your strapped for cash you could sell the full interior and buy a couple of light weight racing buckets.

Only the fact that I have to drive my car as an everyday car for a while is stopping me doing this to my own right now.

get rid of the rear seats the fancy stuff in the boot the rear door cards the rear door innards ( the elecs ect. ) the carpet . erm.... i cant rember much else that you havent mentioned already you could take out the center console and maby parts of the dash .

good luck with the diet mine will be going on one shortly also

speakers

when you get money you could change the rear doors for carbon fiber ones . glass is another thing get plexi glass ones made up

take out the ac and heating . replace the mirrors with lighter non elec ones

erm... cant rember

I've found some very nice reclining bucket seats but they look expensive lol

There the GENOA-R SERIES and dont have a price LoL

http://www.chargespeed.com/english/seat-re-e1.htm

I want to keep it at least so it can seat 4 people i was thinking about a couple of bucket seats in the back but i think the bench would be to high.

I would like to keep the carpet if possible but if that has to come out thats ok i would respray the floor etc black and get some nice racey mats

anyone know anyother nice seat, i really like the ones with the exposed back if carbon fibre (im kinda addicted :) )

I want to keep it at least so it can seat 4 people i was thinking about a couple of bucket seats in the back but i think the bench would be to high.

I would like to keep the carpet if possible but if that has to come out thats ok i would respray the floor etc black and get some nice racey mats

anyone know anyother nice seat, i really like the ones with the exposed back if carbon fibre (im kinda addicted :) )

Think it all depends on how far you want to go mate!

Could remove the door cards and replace these with just flat carbon sheet so you don't see into the door! Then you could remove the window motors and replace the glass for plastic! but then what do you want it for???? power/useable car/track monster?

if you get those buckets for the front i would get the backs retrimmed to match them, not mutch weight in the back seats, mainly just foam and a bit of metal edge!

Jason :P

Think it all depends on how far you want to go mate!

Could remove the door cards and replace these with just flat carbon sheet so you don't see into the door! Then you could remove the window motors and replace the glass for plastic! but then what do you want it for???? power/useable car/track monster?

if you get those buckets for the front i would get the backs retrimmed to match them, not mutch weight in the back seats, mainly just foam and a bit of metal edge!

Jason :P

I still want it to be reasonably usable, i deffo want at least 4 ppl to be able to sit in it, otherwise i would have got a S2000 or supra etc. the boot is now empty apart from a tiny bit of carpet and the amp running the speakers (carpet to stop it rattling) i still want all dash etc, but with the lexus being a bit of a luxury car, and i remember when it was standard being very quite, i was thinking the sound deadening must be everywhere, Im sure I have read that the altezza is a fair bit lighter due to thinner material being used on carpets and sound deadening etc, any one know how much they weigh ??? ive looked but cant find anywhere.

Elliott

those seats are descusting

look at recardo's hmmm thats not spelt right

and sparco they both do a carbon fiber seat

you reely should get rid of the 4 person ida for your car if your stripping it out

I like them, all the reclining pieces are in carbon as well :)

the 4 person thing would so i can still take mates etc around, if i was going to go to pod of a track i would take the rears out as it only take a few mins, although when i have taken the rears out they dont weigh much at all, as all they are is foam.

...hmm you can loose alot of weight.......

each ....

electric front seat....40kg

rear seat............... 13kg

boot trim..................6kg

door cards................5kg

carpet.....................11kg

sound deadening......35kg....(i weighed it)

rooflining...................2kg

passenger airbag.......5kg

drivers airbag............2kg

to be honest its not worth removing the glass and replacing with plexi, as the lexus glass is very light as it is, the windscreen only weighs, approx 6kg, the rear screen is 4kg, and the side glass even less, the sunroof weighs 26kg!

Must admit there's some interesting / suprising figures in that list. 40Kg for each front seat! Crikey bobs :o

Have you removed the majority of that list Matt?

Jamie

the weights are approx...possibly nearer 30,

ive rounded up...

ive removed everything, if not on the Monster, but previous cars ive stripped.......and ive stripped a fair few Is200's now

Ive only just seen this response

Thanks for the list matt, is there sound deadening on the roof as well ???

Ive got a darn sunroof which is a pain in the pink flowery botty, i hardly ever use the bloomin thing as well 25 flippin kilos :(

I think i might take the carpet up and see whats under there at the weekend.

Ive found some very nice seats, but very pricey :(

http://www.sportseats4u.com/cobra-misano-r...seat-p-544.html

only 13kg each some good weight saving there.

It shows that if you went to pod or a track and stripped everything out you could cut your time down quite alot for free, if your that worried about your times that is LoL

Edited by janey
using a rude word

Elliot, like I mentioned on the other post, try these expensive Reverie items for size:

Here is one, amongst others...

R01SI0001b.jpg

Link:

http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/shop/products.php?g1=b29f82

Light as you like and look the dogs rollocks.

J

Yeah i had a look on that site very nice bits and bobs but i dont want my fillings rattled out lol I want recliners and deffo slider.

I think some people have got me a bit wrong, im not wanting to strip the whole car out to a shell. I still want it to have a little bit of comfort etc, if i can keep the carpet then that a big plus, i just want to get rid of stuff like the sound deadening and bits and bobs like that keep the overal look of the interia, then get a lighter boot, lighter callipers etc etc it will take time as i have no money but it will happen :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links