Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorcycle Tests

Steve

Fancy taking a motorscycle test so maybe later get a bike.

What will i need to do? ie where do i apply, rough time and costs.. do i need to be a learner on a crappy moped for a year or can i take test for big bike?

I havent a clue

thanks

Fancy taking a motorscycle test so maybe later get a bike.

What will i need to do? ie where do i apply, rough time and costs.. do i need to be a learner on a crappy moped for a year or can i take test for big bike?

I havent a clue

thanks

Im taking it your over 21 so you can do the direct access, I did mine about 4 years ago so might have changed a bit. But you'll learn on most probably a 500cc like the suzuki gsr (or whatever its called). Depending on how good you are depends on how many days training you need. I was told i needed 2 days but took it after 1 day and half a morning session and passed with 0 minors 0 majors. You should have a centre near you, o yeah you will need a theory test before you start as well. I think its about £100 a day then test ontop. Theory havent got a clue im guessing £30-£50 something like that.

Ahmet did his more recently so he might know a bit more info.

Its deffo worth doing though once you get one you'll always have a bike it gets in the blood :)

You need to do direct access. 4 or 5 day course depending on how experienced and confident you are. Most motorcycle places offer the course at a cost of anywhere around £600-700 all in - test included. Direct access will allow you to ride any size motorcycle after you've passed your test and you'll typically learn on a 500cc or something. Remember, on a bike, the only crumple zone if your face so splash out and buy the best protective gear you can afford - it WILL save your life in the event of a collision.

Keith :)

If your going to do it do it soon they are changing the test next august. Dont forget you also need to re take your theory and you will need to do a cbt first which adds another day

cheers guys

does anyone know if the thoery test is the same as the car test thoery? Always sniggered at that thinking i was safe in my days when i passed my test LOL

safety is number 1 so top gear will be worn.

Just looking for a weekend thing really

buy the best protective gear you can afford - it WILL save your life in the event of a collision.

Good advice, my gear stopped all gravel rash when I had my big 'off'

I can't help with what you need to do as I passed mine in 1991.

Best of luck with it Steve, remember the best protection against accidents on a motorcycle is :-

your anticipation & awareness that all other road users are out to kill you.

If you bear that in mind it should keep you safe and free of hassle :D

buy the best protective gear you can afford - it WILL save your life in the event of a collision.

Good advice, my gear stopped all gravel rash when I had my big 'off'

I can't help with what you need to do as I passed mine in 1991.

Best of luck with it Steve, remember the best protection against accidents on a motorcycle is :-

your anticipation & awareness that all other road users are out to kill you.

If you bear that in mind it should keep you safe and free of hassle :D

And the advice that we give to advanced drivers, and it would apply to motorcyclists just as much: Assume all other road users are blithering idiots and think for them.

If you assume the worst, you never get a nasty suprise

:)

Sound advice. It worked for me over 35+ years of extensive and fast biking. The only times I ever came off, it was my fault :rolleyes: Unlike car driving :tsktsk:
Me too! In all my time driving, I have been involved in one accident - when I was stationary at traffic lights with the handbrake on when someone ran into the back of me. I’ve parted company with my bike twice – both my fault and, dare I say it, both because I was travelling too fast for my own level of incompetence! Take care out there, but do enjoy yourself.

cheers guys

does anyone know if the thoery test is the same as the car test thoery? Always sniggered at that thinking i was safe in my days when i passed my test LOL

safety is number 1 so top gear will be worn.

Just looking for a weekend thing really

No, the theory is not the same as a car test. Whilst some of the questions are the same, there are also some focussed specifically on motorcycle matters. You'll also have to do a hazard awareness test, and the test itself out on the road is a good deal harder than the car test (probably a good thing!)

Biking is not a cheap hobby to get into; budget around £500 for training, the same again for good quality kit, then you have to buy and insure a bike at the end of it. And it's cold this time of year, you won't know what windchill is until you're wearing too-thin gloves on a 70mph road at 2 deg C!!

However, once done, it's absolutely brilliant - and if you even think you'll enjoy it, you're gonna absolutely love it...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links