Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving From U.s To The U.k, Need Info!

Hello everyone. My name is Chris i live in Dallas, Tx. This May i may be moving back to the U.K. Ive lived in the U.S for 6 years and im finally coming home! :yahoo:

Anyway, the main reason why im posting is because im worried about my car. I have a 01 IS300 (solar yellow) but i dont know if i can get insured on it in the U.K. Im 17 years old and i need to get your info on insurance.

Will i be able to get insured on my IS300 in England?

Im doing a lot of modification to it within the next two months with my JDM body kit and 19" HRE wheels so i really want to bring it back to England.

Here are a couple pics of the car right now if you all are interested. As i said, rims and body kit are going on next month so i really want to keep this car.

http://photos.yahoo.com/dtmis300

Thnx for the help.

Hi Chris

I have a sneaky feeling it's gonna be expensive!!

You might want to try getting some insurance quotes onlines - here's a few of the major players in the UK:-

www.directline.co.uk

www.norwichuniondirect.co.uk

www.esure.com

www.belldirect.co.uk

We also have a Gold members' policy arranged with a major insurer.

Good luck

i suspect you will have problems.

Being a left hand drive car plus with mods you would be at a really high risk to the insurer. I think our custom policy might cover you were some insurers would say no.. but be prepared to spend at least 1.5K or more!

I'm pretty sure that you'll need to get your UK license before being allowed to drive your car over here. If you are driving in the UK on your US license, you are limited to the engine size you are legally allowed to drive - no greater than a 1.8 I think...

Insurance will probably cost you in excess of £2,000 - best to get a lot of quotes

Clair is right, the first thing is getting a licence.

A visitor to UK may drive for 12 mths on his own licence. The fact that you are coming home as a permanent measure means that you are not classed as a visitor. As your licence is USA and therefore outside the EC the first thing you must do is get a provisional driving licence and pass the UK driving test.

I'm afraid you will have to sport the L plates and be accompanied by the holder of full UK approved licence until passing the test.

Happy motoring!!

Tell you what. I'll do a swap for my house and my GS300 for your house and IS300 (provided me and the wife like the house and car) in the US of A! I'd love to live in the states cos I'm fed up of how bad UK motorists have it compared to USA ones. If I was you, I'd forget shipping your IS300 over and just fill the container with as much unleaded as the damn thing will carry. Then get yourself a UK spec car when you get here and laugh your butt off every time you pass a garage that has petrol on sale at $5.50 a gallon!

PS. Wouldn't drive past garages in London or you'll have to pay $10 for the privelidge.

I insure with direct line but tesco and direct line use the same under writers so thier quotes will be about the same althogh tesco still offer the 5% off for online quotes whitch direct line stopped doing now.

But you will be £3500 + if they will even consider you and your exsess will be £1500+.

Not worth doing mate but then i would not leave the US to come back here if my wife would gop i would be there perm tommorow

James

• 4 months later...

I dunno if the insurance will be as high as everyone reckons. When i was 19 (now 24) and just past my test, getting insured proved to be odd. It was gonna cost me 3k for a rover 400 1.8td. So i started to ask for stupid quotes, like a quote on a Ford Mustang Saleen 4.6 V8 special edition lhd. The quotes i got back ranged from 1.3k-1.5k. Very odd indeed, now i've got a lexus and the insurance is cheaper than the rover, around 1.7k cheaper to be exact, with no no-claims. However i do believe that your post code makes one hell of difference in the insurance quote as well.

He's now living in my house with my GS300 and I'm living in his house while crusing around in his IS300 paying 50p for a gallon of gas! OK so I'm living in a dream world and I'm still stuck in cruddy Bristol paying £9000 for a gallon of petroleum distillate.

Just wondered if any readers have any tips on making "those" kinds of decisions. You know, where you just leave all your friends, family (except wife and kids), possessions, job, money, security etc behind and do something radical like moving to the states.

The way I see it, the UK is heading rapidly down the tubes so best get out while you can, but I don't know whether I've got what it takes to make that kind of life changing decision.

1-We have a currency that nobody else has or wants

2-We have very few totally UK owned companies and even those that do have offices here are moving things to places like India

3-The UK is more expensive for other countries to do business with

4-Our exports are at an all-time low

5-The legal system seems to be siding with the criminals and innocent people are being persecuted

6-One of the the main contributors to the whole British economy (the motorist) is being made to feel as welcome as a rottweiler at a cats only disco

7-It just seems like all freedom and liberty has been taken away and I just feel restricted somehow, like I'm being forced to conform to the way that Mr Blair etc want me to be!

What happens when the UK eventually becomes that small insignificant island somewhere off the coast of Yurp?

Sorry to be so negative, especially at the start of the weekend! Maybe I should sue the government for making me so depressed :crybaby: or is it angry? :angry: You decicde!

The last time I ran for something was when I took part in my junior school egg and spoon race! And that was only because my mother was at the finish line egging (no pun intended) me on!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links