Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Far Can You Go When Fuel Guage Is Empty

Rillo

I got 55.8 Miles when my light came on on the M4!

But i was driving at between 50-60mph and easy off the gas here and there!

When I got to Reading shell petrol station I filled my car with 63 litres and the tank was full!

Seeing that the petrol tank is 70 Litres!

Im thinking it is between 50-70 miles depending on how you drive!

Straight from the Lexus Site RX400h Technical Section - Fuel tank capacity 66 litres.

divide by 4.542 to get UK gallons. = 14.53

or

1 litres = 0.219969157 Imperial gallons so Multiply 66 by 0.219969157 which equals 14.51 (Google)

I've only had my RX400h SE a few weeks now and twice have had the petrol light come on, travelled a couple of miles and filled up. 53.76 litres and 54.36ltrs. so lets round to 54ltrs. 66 - 54 = 12

12 times 0.219969157 = 2.63 UK Gallons left in the tank.

SO

at 24 to the Gal registered = 63 miles.

at 28 to the Gal registered = 73 miles.

What does anyone think ? Zero the trip and dont do more than another 50 miles !!

You can't really rely on a source like that. It totally depends on many factors, driving style, type of miles, car weight and payload, wind resistance, how fat the driver is and so on. I've always been of the opinion is that when the light comes on, it's time to find a fuel station, pronto.

You can't really rely on a source like that. It totally depends on many factors, driving style, type of miles, car weight and payload, wind resistance, how fat the driver is and so on. I've always been of the opinion is that when the light comes on, it's time to find a fuel station, pronto.

All valid points, well almost - given that the car is the car nad you dont suddenly add a roof box, the driver is you and is you and is you - and you dont suddenly gain 5 stone overnight, or put a spare engine in the boot. THEN, for the given car, driver and therefore driving style. I can be pretty sure for me.

Obviously this is calculated for me and my car, the purpose of the exercise is to show the math for getting a scientific way of predicting the likely miles after light.

Every individual is different, OBVIOUSLY These calculations dont work out for Is or GS, even for that matter RX300 or 350. These are me driving an RX400h SE.

:winky:

The tank on the GS holds 70l, the most I have ever filled up is 69l lol, that was close

It's 75l mate - at least it is according to the handbook for my 2001 Mk II, which should be the same. So you still had a little bit, even then...

Don't think I've ever put more than 67l in mine, and that was after doing 30 miles with the light on. I guess the gauge and light is going to vary slightly between vehicles, maybe mine just comes on a tad earlier than it 'should' do.

Mine has come on with 8 litres left every time so far - given that the distance just depends on how you drive it :whistling: On the motorway that would give me about 50-60 miles.

on my previous car the fuel light comes on, then starts flashing when theres 6litres left....

i've had the fuel light come on my gs, but will it flash whens its really low??

The furthest ive travelled with the light on is about 17 miles (country side+A roads) and before reading this post i would be trembling at the thought that the car will die within 20 miles lol. So this means i can travel around 45+-5 miles even the low petrol light comes on? btw im not heavey footed, my car never goes over the 3000rpm at any point of the 34 miles i travel a day and i don't encounter any motorways.

series 1 gs300 has 80 ltr. tank. I always fill to neck meaning about 81/82 ltr.Done 35/40 miles with light on and never got more than 71 ltrs in. Generally though I fill at about 1/4 tank to prevent any #### getting sucked up from tank.

New owner here of IS 250 Auto...

Do I take it then that the "range" displayed isn't that accurate? When the range reaches 0, how many miles or litres (roughly) may be left? Does the range start showing minus values from this point on?

cheers

fred

series 1 gs300 has 80 ltr. tank. I always fill to neck meaning about 81/82 ltr.Done 35/40 miles with light on and never got more than 71 ltrs in. Generally though I fill at about 1/4 tank to prevent any #### getting sucked up from tank.

The petrol tank is emptied from the bottom and so it doesnt matter when you fill the tank up it makes no difference to anything getting sucked into the engine. Also, thats what your fuel filter is for.

Chris.S - It says in my manual that the petrol light will flash. It says when the light comes on you need to fill up as soon as possible and when it flashes you must fill up immediately.

New owner here of IS 250 Auto...

Do I take it then that the "range" displayed isn't that accurate? When the range reaches 0, how many miles or litres (roughly) may be left? Does the range start showing minus values from this point on?

cheers

fred

You will find that the needle drops below the bottom marker. It's a better judge to use your petrol light.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links