Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Another Caliper Thread

Rikos

Hi all,

I think my caliper is sticking on, took it too my friend today at a garage and he seems to think the same. It could be that the pads are just sticking and need regreasing but just in case i wanted to do my research before i take it back in next week.

How much would a new caliper be? Where can you get them from? Does anyone on here have a drivers side caliper for sale at all?

This is a real pain, i need to get the car serviced so hope it's just the pads sticking.

Thanks for any help.

Must admit, I do wonder about the usefulness of the seal kits if piston corrosion is the main culprit. But worth a shot I guess to save a few bob over a brand new caliper. eBay shows a brand new IS200 caliper for £170 at the moment (no idea what year) or try calling this company in case they can help out. I got a brand new pair of GS rear calipers from them. clicky

I got offered £99 all in for a N/S/F caliper from a '01 is200 they were scraping on eBay, but then i thought thats about the same age as my car and its not worth the gamble, and also garage won't install the caliper as its not new, the eBay guy would only give it 90 days warranty...there are somethings i would not skimp on..tires and brakes being the top of the list. In all costed me like £900+ to get new discs, pads, N/S/F caliper+fitting+vat. Also worth contacting bigred what tigerfish mentioned, i would have used them but i had no time to get it done.

Would someone be so kind as to list the various options, and maybe even any recommended sources for a new/replacement set of front calipers for the IS200? I've read all the threads, but still dobn't feel any the wiser. Thx.

I recently had to have my front discs replaced after only 16000miles, apparently due to the caliper siezing. I could have swallowed that diagnosis had it only been on one side of the other, they (local Lexus garage) wanted over £500 to replace them! But seeing as it was on both sides of each disc, and the excessive wear was pretty even between driver and passenger sides, I felt that perhaps the discs were of a defective material - however, having eased-up on my braking since the service incase it was me (LOL), I have noticed that the discs are beginning to wear again just as before. Guess I really need to eliminate the calipers from suspiscion anyway.

Lexus caliper for £76? We talking about a secondhand one right? Noway a new caliper is that price (think theyre @£360 new). Fitting for £30? All sounds way too cheap to me, but then u r the price negotiator lol. Did they also check if the disc and pads are fine? They may need to bleed brakes too. Wow if they're gonna do it for £30 i'll go there too when i need something done on my lexus lol

I just asked for a leuxs IS200 front drivers side caliper and he said £76, it may be second hand but he didnt say. He said it was 45 minute job so £30 fitting, discs and pads are fine.

I'd have to say, give me the address, so I can go take a look myself. Cos at that price, I'm off down the road to check! How about a phone number, point of contact, and a reference, LOL!

First thing to confirm is what's actually sticking. If it's the sliders (possibly more likely than the pistons), a new caliper won't fix it.... well, it probably would, but only because they have to remove the sliders in order to replace the caliper :)

I dropped my car off on saturday, they stripped the brake and cleaned it an they rang me back about an hour and a half later and informed that............it was just the pads sticking on!!

They have sorted it out and have told me to drive it this week and make sure that it wasnt just a short term fix and if all is well go and see them next saturday to sort out the bill. So far the car seems fine and no creaking from the brake when i slowly move forward as though the brake is still on.

Am really chuffed that it wasnt the caliper although i am still getting a tidy bit of feedback from the steering wheel, so just going to get them to balance the wheels at the weekend and hopefully all will be sorted.

Fingers crossed that is all it is but........ I can't see it somehow. I'm guessing you have done this strip down before already yourself and it didn't sort it? (weren't you doing that at the last midland meet?)

What I have found with my sticky calipers so far is that....

1) if I retract the pistons all the way back in and bung it all back together it sorts the issue for a week or two.

2) If I replace the pads so that the caliper pistons are now working in a completely different position it will fix it until the pads wear back to the point the brakes were sticking before.

3) If I lube the pistons and retract and pump them back out a dozen times or so the problem is fixed for a couple of months or there abouts.

It always comes back again :tsktsk: so I will have to do something more permanent at some point but for the sake of a ten minute job every couple of months I have just carried on freeing them up and re-lubing for the time being .

At the meet i only took the caliper off and greased it up and checked for any stones etc

I would have done a thorough clean and check but i am not too confident and havent got enough knowlegde yet to do it myself

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, i had a similar problem with my rear nearside brakes. The disc was pitted and the inside pad was down to nothing where the outside pad still had plenty of meat on it, a sure indication of brake pad stickage.

I took the disc and caliper off (without disconnecting the hydrauic pipe, i did it in situ) and sure enough the whole inside of the caliper was rusted up to :shutit: . I eventually managed to prise to pads out with much leverage, blood sweat and tears, and set to with my trusty dremell. Voila 45 mins later, no rust, clean flat edges for the pads to slide along. Then reassembled to whole lot using copper slip, taking care not to get any on the faces of my new pads or discs.

And thus far haven't had a problem with my rear brakes, that was about 9 to 10 months ago.

Hope this helps anyone, it's always good to share. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links