Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi

Just stood in the road watching those beautiful rear lights flicker as the new owner got to the bottom of the road, saw the car majestically turn the corner, saw two puffs of steam from the stainless exhaust trims, just heard the silky smooooooth V8 purr as he lent on the throttle and then in the blink of an eye she was gone..... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: .

Never to be clay bar'd again, never to spend all day detailing it so it looked like new, never to sit in that cosseting sumptuous leather seat and be surrounded by crystal clear music wafting from the 11 Mark Levinson speakers, never to bury the throttle and hit 60 in 6 seconds whilst listing to a sound like tearing silk, never to have so many buttons that I don't know what to do with them..... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Truly the end of an era for me....

So we went to Cleethorpes and had fish and chips on the seafront and I'm much better now..... :whistling:

We all like a picture so here are a few taken just before it left....

24012009127.jpg

24012009128.jpg

24012009132.jpg

24012009124.jpg

24012009131.jpg

It's gone to live near Lincoln....

Pete

I feel for you mate, a truly cherished car, the new owner's pretty lucky to get one so well looked after.

And yes, it looks like it could have just rolled off the forecourt............unbelievable condition :)

Owned an XK120 for 23 years, had to sell it to keep roof over my head. I, too, stood in the road and watched it disappear around the corner. It felt very odd at first. That was 17 years ago and I have only just stopped calling it "my" car when speaking to the guy who bought it.

People say, "But it's only a lump of metal". They know nuffink !

Looking at your pix, the interior of a 430 is vastly classier than a 1996 LS400, that's for sure.

Hi

I've got an IS 220d...... engine in a Toyota Verso.... well it's the 136bhp version but I have chipped it and it's now about 170bhp and 360nm so it pulls like a train....

I've also fitted a touchscreen Kenwood sat nav dvd thingy... so with all the other bits as standard on it it ain't that far behind the Lexus.... Cruise, dual climate, elec everything, traction control (needed now it will spin it's wheels in 3rd!!!) stability control, brake assist, keyless,

I had to change for medical reasons see here for full details

I was quite proud of the satnav install....

The surround is the one Toyota use for their £2000+ sat nav it needed a lot of modification to fit as the hole in it is far too wide and the edges are too rounded to look good.

Anyway it started out looking something like this (this isn't my car and the stereo is the wrong one but you get the idea)

verso_2.gif

I then took the radio and heater panel out, it's very easy, took about 10mins

10122008047.jpg

Then set about modifying the surround, I stuck some pieces of plastic to the sides of the hole to make the hole smaller then used fiberglass paste and filler to finish it off

10122008048.jpg

I then fitted the Kenwood head unit in with the original brackets that fix the Toyota radio and fitted the new surround (the screen looks terrible in the photo, it got a bit bleached out, it is in fact excellent with a very wide viewing angle)

20122008066.jpg

Despite numerous tries I could not match the silver of the dash right, it's actually slightly golden in colour, so I came up with this, mat black around the stereo and silver at the top. Looks OK to me....

I now have a touch screen stereo with good reception, it is also a Garman SatNav with safety camera alerts, a DVD player, an IPod interface that plays music and films, a hands free Bluetooth phone kit, it will also support a rear view camera and additional screens if you want them. It works with the original steering wheel controls as well...

So it ain't no Lexus and it doesn't have a fridge (save you asking steve!!!) but it will do for me.....

Pete

Mind you I have been looking at a cheap Soarer for the weekend, just got to work out how to get in one!!!!!

Sorry to have read that, it's a nasty injury you had there - but good you're still here now! Amazing what hospitals can do now!

That looks like a great job you've done there as well - I'd have no chance at doing a job like that!

And the best thing about the Verso, is that it's got less rattles than the IS :winky:

Owned an XK120 for 23 years, had to sell it to keep roof over my head. I, too, stood in the road and watched it disappear around the corner. It felt very odd at first. That was 17 years ago and I have only just stopped calling it "my" car when speaking to the guy who bought it.

People say, "But it's only a lump of metal". They know nuffink !

Looking at your pix, the interior of a 430 is vastly classier than a 1996 LS400, that's for sure.

I'll agree it does look lovely in that colour but having done back to back with my brothers 91 LS400 I can confirm that you can save yourself thousands and you will not "feel" any different.

If you shut your eyes in his it's just like "mine" (there youv'e got me at it now) but don't do it for long as your passengers start screaming......

Anyway any opportunity to get some pics up of the best 91 400 around

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Pete

Mind you I might have a go at making one of these.... I could use the airbags to raise the car 2 feet so I can get in.....

Blimey, with that thing you could hold onto the door and it would lift you out! Reminds me of a great Lambo pic I saw somewhere the other day - will have to try and find it now!

Hi Pete,

sorry you had to let it go, as you know I have only had mine a short time ( I dont really get attatched to cars ) But I dont think I could part with mine now,

Mind you if you can work your way behind the wheel of a Soarer, It might somewhat relive the pain. They are blinding value for money at the moment ( and surely a future classic ) be easier to clean the center of the roof also.

thanks for all your advice in the past

Mark

Despite numerous tries I could not match the silver of the dash right, it's actually slightly golden in colour, so I came up with this, mat black around the stereo and silver at the top. Looks OK to me....

I reckon you have a good eye Pete, its only your back that's out! Superb job on the Nav unit, I thought it was a factory finish at first, but then I realised Record don't do a sprayed finish on their vices. :)

Sorry to hear that chapters over, next one will still make good reading!

All the best mate,

Cheers,

Marcus.

Hi all

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, yes the add on autotrader was mine, only remembered to take it off this morning after another call, thats 12 people in a week who wanted it plus 8 canvassers.... wish I had a few more....

Trudy, thanks for the calendar.... my god I was a Fat Bast**d then.... I've lost 4 1/2 stone since and look a lot better for it.... still a couple more to lose and I'll blow away in the wind!!!!!!

I will still be around and if anyone thinks I can help let me know....

Pete

Hi all

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, yes the add on autotrader was mine, only remembered to take it off this morning after another call, thats 12 people in a week who wanted it plus 8 canvassers.... wish I had a few more....

Trudy, thanks for the calendar.... my god I was a Fat Bast**d then.... I've lost 4 1/2 stone since and look a lot better for it.... still a couple more to lose and I'll blow away in the wind!!!!!!

Pete

Well done u so guess i wont recognise u now

Hi all

Pete

Well done u so guess i wont recognise u now

Hi

No, you probably will, still just as dashingly handsome just thinner..... Not quite as cool though as the new car doesn't have a fridge........:whistling:

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links