Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As a recent owner of a 1999 LS 400 I am aware that it is due a cambelt replacement as it has just turned 123,000 miles, with the belt having been replaced 7 years ago at 63k.

The local Toyota garage can't supply, Edinburgh Lexus won't deliver to Dundee, so I'm trying to get a price from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen.

Where do folk get parts? - I'm looking to replace all the usual components required in the timing gear area.

cheers

Pete

That is ridiculous, why can't Toyota sell Toyota parts anyway. I should contact Toyota head office and report them for a start then ask why Lexus can't arrange to send a timing belt in the post for God's sake.

Are all Scots like this? If so we must get rid of Gordon, that Conservative chancer, Darling, Osbourne, Ming, Kennedy, Blair and the rest of the Scots that are trying to run the country.

Blyddi Hopeless.

Someone on here could post you one if you pay for it I expect......

Are all Scots like this? If so we must get rid of Gordon, that Conservative chancer, Darling, Osbourne, Ming, Kennedy, Blair and the rest of the Scots that are trying to run the country.

We don't want them back - you can keep them.

Pete

My nearest lexus dealer is 80 miles away. My nearest toyota 25 miles away. I ring the Lexus dealers and get the part # from them (they know why, i tell them) then i order it through my toyota dealer and pick it up.

No hassle.

Q; whats the difference between a 100% mark up on a toypta part and a 100% mark up on a toyota part?

A; there isnt one.

BTW. i have no other dealings with the toyota dealer. its not as if i have a toyota or have ever bought anything other than the odd Lexus part. They sell me the parts because it makes them money.

Why go to Toyota? Why not try a local Motor Factors? I fitted a Blue Print Belt to mine and saved a couple of hundred pound in the process.

With the general poor quality of aftermarket parts, I think I would be safer with genuine components - what's the thoughts on this?

Pete

Why go to Toyota? Why not try a local Motor Factors? I fitted a Blue Print Belt to mine and saved a couple of hundred pound in the process.

With the general poor quality of aftermarket parts, I think I would be safer with genuine components - what's the thoughts on this?

Pete

Most oem belts have a lot of research and technology behind them. I'd personally go for a genuine part, especially with something as delicate as a timing belt. there's no way back when it fails!

Hi original on belts water pump & idlers for me, its only once in 63000 miles so worth the extra to have 100% peace of mind. I had a new set of blue print discs on mine when I bought it both warped within a 1000 miles & I had to replace them.

There do seem to be some problems with Toyota supplying Lexus parts more so with me having a "grey import".

Yesterday I ordered from Toyota the 2 crush washers required when refiting the diff drain and fill plugs I looked up the part # on Toyodiy quoted it and no problem.

I also ordered with the part # the washer for the transmission drain plug which at 1st they couldn't find, then "using the Toyota database" they did.

Later on after paying for the parts by credit card ( £3.30) I got a call back from the dealer to say there was an additional charge for the tranny washer as it was a Lexus part! The part # quoted for this was the Toyota part number for a Celsior and I bet it comes in a Toyota plastic bag.

I emailed a company about a belt kit - here's the reply:

We have the Timing Belt Kit & Water Pump for your 1999 model in stock prices as follows

Timing Belt Kit £169.99

Water Pump £136.99

We can also supply full detailed fitting instructions for the Timing Belt Kit if required.

Has anyone used them?

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/Timing_Belt_Kits.cfm

Pete

I got all my Lexus timing parts in the USA when on holiday 2 years ago. £1000 of parts was about 800 USD, which at the time was near to £500. Oil filters were 3.50 USD.... rip off Britain, big time.

I'm just back from 3 weeks in Florida - missed opportunity I think.

Pete

I emailed a company about a belt kit - here's the reply:

We have the Timing Belt Kit & Water Pump for your 1999 model in stock prices as follows

Timing Belt Kit £169.99

Water Pump £136.99

We can also supply full detailed fitting instructions for the Timing Belt Kit if required.

Has anyone used them?

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/Timing_Belt_Kits.cfm

Pete

You could buy a timing kit + pump from eBay US for $150 + postage (maybe another $40 or $50). Even $250 is only about £155, or less than the price of the timing belt...

I've just had another quote from cheaptoyotaparts for genuine parts -

Belt £50

Idlers 2 @ £85

Tensioner £85

Water pump £129.

Total £434 + post

I didn't think the idlers and tensioner would be as expensive - other parts are reasonably priced though.

Compared to Lexus prices, these prices save the VAT. When I spoke to someone in the Aberdeen dealership, they just change the Belt unless there is any evidence of wear in the other components - decisions decisions.

Pete

The timing belt is coming up due on my 2000 LS430, along with the larger of the two types of service (B, I think).

When I was setting it up I discussed it with the Lexus main dealer service department, and I raised the subject of doing the other work while they had all the bits off. I was all set to have it done.

The dealer said it wasn't necessary and recommended it not be done! This was before we got to discuss the price, so it wasn't a case of me trying to get more for a price already set.

On that basis, I decided to have just the belt changed andnot the water pump etc. (Obviously they will inspect those things while in there).

Chris

The timing belt is coming up due on my 2000 LS430, along with the larger of the two types of service (B, I think).

When I was setting it up I discussed it with the Lexus main dealer service department, and I raised the subject of doing the other work while they had all the bits off. I was all set to have it done.

The dealer said it wasn't necessary and recommended it not be done! This was before we got to discuss the price, so it wasn't a case of me trying to get more for a price already set.

On that basis, I decided to have just the belt changed andnot the water pump etc. (Obviously they will inspect those things while in there).

Chris

Hi my mate in liverpool had a belt changed by lexus they said the same, 1500 miles later the water pump packed up & stripped the cam belt ( fortunately it was a mark 2 so non interfearance) He done the job himself then pump belt & idler.

a new belt could put more tension on the old pump bearing ( I would put a new pump on its good for the next 100,000 miles then.

As a recent owner of a 1999 LS 400 I am aware that it is due a cambelt replacement as it has just turned 123,000 miles, with the belt having been replaced 7 years ago at 63k.

The local Toyota garage can't supply, Edinburgh Lexus won't deliver to Dundee, so I'm trying to get a price from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen.

Where do folk get parts? - I'm looking to replace all the usual components required in the timing gear area.

cheers

Pete

Hi Lexus Poole are giving a 20% discount to gold members mail order also, there is a topic on it lower down on the home page.

Just ordered parts from http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/ - many thanks to all those who offered info.

TENSIONER 13540-70021 £55.53 1 £55.53

IDLER 13524-70050 £29.10 1 £29.10

IDLER 13503-70080 £59.03 1 £59.03

CAMBELT 13568-79235 £30.33 1 £30.33

WATER PUMP 16100-79285 £117.79 1 £117.79

FAN BELT 90916-02471 £13.57 1 £13.57

THERMOSTAT 90916-03081 £16.25 1 £16.25

P&P Price £0

Grand Total £321.60

Getting work done on Monday.

Pete

NOTE - THE PART NUMBERS AS SUPPLIED TO ME BY LEXUSDIRECT IS INCORRECT - PLEASE DO NOT USE

I understand your concern about aftermarket parts but can you be sure that an original belt and a pattern belt don't come off the same production line and the only difference is the name on the box?

I'm sure it is quite possible that original and aftermarket parts may be the same apart from packaging. My friend who is a mechanic swears by Blueprint parts, yet another mate (owns his own garage) swears at a lot of the aftermarket components. As a example, he fitted 2 alternators to cars in the last couple of weeks - both lasted under a week. He says he would only fit Gates timing belts (was uniroyal), so who knows who Toyota use for their belts - probably several manufacturers.

My point is that I would rather verge on the side of original fitment to give me some confidence in the quality of the part - this is probably just for my peace of mind.

I'm possibly remembering the old Quinton Hazel days in this regard (rover V8's) when their water pumps failed with regularity at low mileage.

Pete

Just ordered parts from http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/ - many thanks to all those who offered info.

TENSIONER 13540-70021 £55.53 1 £55.53

IDLER 13524-70050 £29.10 1 £29.10

IDLER 13503-70080 £59.03 1 £59.03

CAMBELT 13568-79235 £30.33 1 £30.33

WATER PUMP 16100-79285 £117.79 1 £117.79

FAN BELT 90916-02471 £13.57 1 £13.57

THERMOSTAT 90916-03081 £16.25 1 £16.25

P&P Price £0

Grand Total £321.60

Getting work done on Monday.

Pete

Useful!! presume the DHP version is same as 'Normal' i.e. mine! Will keep the reference until I take mine out of 'mothballs' in Spring as it's been about 4 years since done; not done the miles but apparently age comes into it too.

Have a cool Yule everyone. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links