Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handy Tip To Avoid Speed Cameras

Apologies is this has been mentioned before but my dealer er sorry a 'friend' gave me this fabby tip to avoid getting Gatsoed.

In the Lex DVD SatNav you can mark specific points so you can find your way back there or when you want to go to a point on the map with no address, so...

Every time you pass a speed camera hit 'MARK' and then edit the marked piont to a specific icon (mine are the :excl: mark) and also enable the 'beep when near' facility.

Hey presto - whenever you drive near a speed camera you have marked before you get the slow down er sorry accident black spot take care 'beep'.

John

I never, ever speed. Especially not on the Marlow Bypass or M4 on the way to the pub from the curry house. Neither do any of the othe Lexus' or Toyotas that were following :whistling::ph34r:

You forgot Silver Hyundai's :D :lol: :P :whistling:

I never, ever speed. Especially not on the Marlow Bypass or M4 on the way to the pub from the curry house. Neither do any of the othe Lexus' or Toyotas that were following :whistling::ph34r:

...or trying to follow in my case! I know so many ppl that've been booked by the cops on that bypass that I was trying not to speed. It was a choice of keeping up or getting lost though :iraqi-info-minister:

But you can only "mark" about 100 points on the current satnav system, and there's probably about three times that number of gatso's in Sussex alone!! ;)

...or trying to follow in my case!  I know so many ppl that've been booked by the cops on that bypass that I was trying not to speed.  It was a choice of keeping up or getting lost though  :iraqi-info-minister:

Eek, that's the only place I've really been tempted by, I know some mechanics that use that for road testing as there's never been any police presence there. Best think again me'thinks.

BTW, hubby was driving...I'd have been a little easier to keep up with ;)

Fargo Posted on Jun 2 2003, 02:01 PM
ORRRRR as an alternative and especially fot those without Sat Nav...

Or using your EYES to spot the signs way before the 'GATSO' that say your in a gatso area :excl:

just a thought

WHAT.....you mena i gota LOOK for the damn signs now.. :P

And if you see the big yellow things then it's time to check your speed. Subtle, very subtle. Saw a car go through a yellow painted camera with signs before it a few weeks ago. Guy must have been asleep - dangerous at that speed. :unsure:

If you have a Pocket PC with TOM TOM Navi on it you can get free UK wide Speed camera POI overlays for free and there's also some free software that shouts at you when your coming up to one, Can also be used to tell you what speed any road is and tell you to slow down on that road if your going too fast on it. Not bad for a freebie

:yahoo: :winky: :whistling:

Ok I knew someone would want to know...thanks Ryan :P :P :ph34r:

Right, on the back of the camera, in the top right and left hand corners, you will see two circular holes a bit bigger than the size of a 2p piece. More visible now with the new yellow covers!

If there is a gray (the main colour of the camera) plate covering them, from inside, then this is the blanking plate...meaning that there is no film inside!

Now if these two holes appear to be open (Black in colour) or have two key locks showing in the holes, then this is the film cartridge locked, loaded and ready to take your snap!

A little hard to explain, but next time you pass one, take a look and you will see what I mean. :D

Although I am personally 100% sure that what I have written above is true (tried and tested on many occassions), please don't go shooting through gatso's.....just incase!!

By the way there is no escape from the new digital ones...although very rare, they are out there and always ready!! :ph34r:

the gatso is a fearsome tool for sure. But a radar detector is a fool proof way to save your bacon. or rather save you from the bacon....

That said, the little fu :tsktsk: ers seem to be near trafficlights that also set it off. best to just go past em all at a sensible speed.

the ones that bug me are the specs overhead ones. they work on average speed I think... cant jam or detect them. but if you do nt spot em you deserve to be shopped anyway....

the ones facing you (truvelo) work off sensors in the road so if you see it and your speeding, you are done for!

hope this helps some poor fool with a lead foot...

If there is a gray (the main colour of the camera) plate covering them, from inside, then this is the blanking plate...meaning that there is no film inside!

I've heard this story before.... and I personally don't believe it.

The two holes should always show gray metal behind them - if they appear dark, or have locks showing, its an indication that the speed camera has not been closed properly. If you pass a camera everyday and it changes from grey to dark (or vice versa) - its a good indication that its been opened - either for a film change, camera (de)installation or turned around and then not closed properly. If you don't believe me, have a look at one of those lovely :nuke: gatso's :nuke: - see if there is a lense behind the upper glass plate and then go round the back and look at the holes!

And while we are on the topic of speed camera's - anybody know how to fix a TSS Laser500 device?

TSS Site - no images though!

TSS quote £140+ to repair ..... its not worth that just for a play :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links