Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Heated Seats - Mildly Warm But Not Hot

Since its been getting cold ive been attempting to use the heated seats, all the heater elements definatly work on all seats but they only get mildly warm and not hot, its a bit pointless really as by the time you have sat down, you've warmed the seat more by body heat than the heater element does!

Is there anyway of turning the heater warmth up? is the heater strength in the seats affected by the actual dash heater/blower control switches or is it just a basic on/off system with no room for adjustment?

many thanks

- 1996 mk3 ls400

Mine is the same but the passenger one is hotter. I have noticed on the dash that it is asking for a Aircon filter change. I will get it sorted once I take it to Lexus for its first Cambelt change. Any one know how much a 100,000 miles service costs at lexus (its only done 90k but that service was done when I bought the car).

regards

Ifty

Since its been getting cold ive been attempting to use the heated seats, all the heater elements definatly work on all seats but they only get mildly warm and not hot, its a bit pointless really as by the time you have sat down, you've warmed the seat more by body heat than the heater element does!

Is there anyway of turning the heater warmth up? is the heater strength in the seats affected by the actual dash heater/blower control switches or is it just a basic on/off system with no room for adjustment?

many thanks

- 1996 mk3 ls400

The heater for the seats is rather like an elecric blanket but without a thermostatic control. The elements tend to wear out from constant sitting on them rather than from excessive use of the heater aspect. They can be changed although its a bit of an effort.

• 2 years later...

Just to update this, I fitted new heating elements in the front seats, my arse is now on fire :)

hi

it might be an idea to post up details of the parts used, costs incurred and write up on how to tackle the job as this is a very common problem on the Mark 3 LS400 and im sure LOC members would be very interested

I'll second that! Or is that third it?? I want to fix my MkIII's seats.

On another note the 430 front seats seem to take a long time to start pumping through warm air - is there a way of speeding them up? Replace the air filters maybe? I don't know why that would help. The rear elements get red hot almost immediately; I wish the front seats had them in. Brrr

2 issues if I remember correctly with the 430.

There is a filter under the seat, clean this out.

Sometimes the padding gets squished on the seat restricting flow aswell.

My 1994 import doesn't have them and both are gone on my 1995.

I was going to have a go at replacing them but a mate gave me one of these to sit on the back seat so I didn't bother. :lol:

When the weather is warmer I put it in the boot with the lid open and use it as a jet turbine, 0-60 is much improved!

post-12144-0-54536400-1358435933.jpg

It invloved putting new heating elements in the seats: a quick run down:

-Take the seats out and put them in the living room (where its nice and warm)

-take off the seat back and undo all the hogrings allowing the leather back to peel away from the frame

- peel back the leather from the foam and work your way around the hogrings removing them allowing access to slip a new heater element between the foam and leather

-place the element in there and put the hogrings back

put the seat back back on the frame and do reverse of removal

-start on the seat base, undo the front trim allowing access to the leather

- peel the leather away and get to the hogrings - same procedure applies as the seat back..

I used an aftermarket kit, so i wired in all into the back of the dash/battery under the center tunnel and under the carpets, this kit has a 5 stage switch allowing heat upto 75°C, and damn I can believe it! :D . It took about 2 hours per seat as those hogrings are a pain in the arse to work with, the wiring took about 1 hour to finish nicely.

Cost was about £50 for the 2 front seats and looks totally OEM. My rear seats heat up nicely so im not bothered about changing them.

Do you have any internet links for the kit you used.

I would like to upgrade/replace my front seats heating elements.

I would also be interested in how you wired it, did you just run it direct to the Battery with a fuse or did you tap into the electrics behind the dash anywhere.

Thanks

-You have a fused 12v that goes straight to the Battery

-a switched 12v, tapping into one of the exisitng heated switch lives is a good idea

-an input from a dimmed 12v, again one of the wires from exisiting heated seat switch

-an earth

all goes through a relay.

heres the kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170923067489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links