Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 'new' Ls400 "live The Dream"

Hi Guys

I joined this owners club forum a few weeks ago to help research buying an LS400, but I felt a bit of a fraud not actually owning one. Well... now I'm in... all in. Last Wednesday I picked up a Gold LS400 1998 Mk IV with 95,000 miles, 3 previous owners and good service history sold to me by the owner not a trader. This weekend, myself and my wife did a 540 mile round trip to Cornwall in her to see relatives and WOW.... what a ride and avg 30 mpg as well :P It's a simply stunning machine. Out of the previous favourite cars I've owned over the years (92 Camry V6, 83 Senator, 93 Saab 9000 all purchased for less than £1500 each) this is easily the best and most 'expensive' at £2600!!! :winky: . I'm over the moon with it. Worth every penny and the best £2600 i have ever spent!

I wanted to thank all you regulars on this board (you know who you are) and non regulars alike as you all, in no small way, played an important part in my decision to go with the LS400 over and above a "sensible" good mpg auto diesel like an Audi :blink: or Rover 75 (I joined their owners forum as well and quickly grew tired of reading threads about endless problems with their machines :duh: ),. The knowledge of, shear enthusiam for and loyality to the LS400 is so overwhelmingly impressive it made my decision very easy to reject "sensible" and live the dream. I've long been a Toyoda fanboy but it's nice to step onto the winners podium at last. Anyone want to buy a cheap Carina? :lol:

Anyway, just thought I would say 'Hi' and I hope to be an active member of this board.

Thanks guys, all the best

Stuart

Hi Guys

I joined this owners club forum a few weeks ago to help research buying an LS400, but I felt a bit of a fraud not actually owning one. Well... now I'm in... all in. Last Wednesday I picked up a Gold LS400 1998 Mk IV with 95,000 miles, 3 previous owners and good service history sold to me by the owner not a trader. This weekend, myself and my wife did a 540 mile round trip to Cornwall in her to see relatives and WOW.... what a ride and avg 30 mpg as well :P It's a simply stunning machine. Out of the previous favourite cars I've owned over the years (92 Camry V6, 83 Senator, 93 Saab 9000 all purchased for less than £1500 each) this is easily the best and most 'expensive' at £2600!!! :winky: . I'm over the moon with it. Worth every penny and the best £2600 i have ever spent!

I wanted to thank all you regulars on this board (you know who you are) and non regulars alike as you all, in no small way, played an important part in my decision to go with the LS400 over and above a "sensible" good mpg auto diesel like an Audi :blink: or Rover 75 (I joined their owners forum as well and quickly grew tired of reading threads about endless problems with their machines :duh: ),. The knowledge of, shear enthusiam for and loyality to the LS400 is so overwhelmingly impressive it made my decision very easy to reject "sensible" and live the dream. I've long been a Toyoda fanboy but it's nice to step onto the winners podium at last. Anyone want to buy a cheap Carina? :lol:

Anyway, just thought I would say 'Hi' and I hope to be an active member of this board.

Stuart

Hi Stewart. You will never want another car again. Its good to have you here and look forward to your input.

Hi Guys

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to paradise.

Best wishes Mike

Hi Guys

Stuart

Welcome to the last, best decision of your life :) only joking, but it does feel like it sometimes, I mean what could you replace it with???????

Andy

What a top bloke Stupot is. Not only is he very well mannered but obviously highly intellegent because he has bought the best car ever made.

Welcome to the fold Stupot. You will never need another car.....ever.

I still have the Rover 75 CDT estate though if you still want one.

I must, I must resist the lure of a Rover 75 Diesel......

I have been known to sway from the Lexus a little bit and it has come close of late too.

However, if I can sell this Explorer, the Lex stays. Just can't afford both and a road legal quad with only 1 driver in the family.

Stupot - welcome and what a car eh?

Mike

I must, I must resist the lure of a Rover 75 Diesel......

I have been known to sway from the Lexus a little bit and it has come close of late too.

However, if I can sell this Explorer, the Lex stays. Just can't afford both and a road legal quad with only 1 driver in the family.

Stupot - welcome and what a car eh?

Mike

Ha Ha and very funny Mike. :tomato:

The Rover 75 is a truly lovely looking car. The interior is simply sublime. All that walnut..mine even has a walnut steering wheel.

Trouble is: it was built by Rover with an engine from BMW.

What am i talking about. Its the most unreliable, fault riddled piece of c**p i have ever had the misfortune of owning. :crybaby: Which is why it hasnt been on the road for 3 months. and im back in my 18 year old LS.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies and good vibes!

It's funny about the Rover 75 CDT... myself and my best friend who I have known since before either of us could even drive a car (we are both early 40's now) have often mirrored each other in car purchases much to our wives amusement. He purchased an old Toyota Crown back in the early 90's (when we were in our 20's). The luxury motoring impressed me so much I went out and bought a Mk1 Senator (cheers for your comments Normski... that was a fantastic car, 4 years I had it with no problems at all). Then I got a Camry 2.0 litre and he stepped it up with a Saab 9000, I loved his Saab and I got one as well until we both found out how unreliable they were! Then he got the Camry V6 3.0 litre. I bought a V6 Camry within a month of driving his, lovely car. Then he went old skool and went back to an old 2.5 lire V6 Camry and I thought it was sensible to go for good mpg with a Carina! In case this is getting boring, here's the point. He then went 'sensible' and went for the Rover 75 CDT and was immediately disappointed with the build quality. I test drove if for all of two minutes and I was distinctly underwhelmed. So now I'm the very proud owner of an LS400 and guess what... he's gonna sell the 75 and he's hot for buying an LS400 :lol:

I can already see that no other car will ever live up to the LS400... I'm planning on keeping it for a looooong time.

Regards

Stu

Belated welcome to Lexus ownership, Stuart. I'm still amazed by my Lex (similar age to yours but higher mileage) and don't regret taking the plunge. I'm not a practical type so use an ex-Lexus/Toyota mechanic who has his own business in Hove, in case you need any advice or work doing.

Belated welcome to Lexus ownership, Stuart. I'm still amazed by my Lex (similar age to yours but higher mileage) and don't regret taking the plunge. I'm not a practical type so use an ex-Lexus/Toyota mechanic who has his own business in Hove, in case you need any advice or work doing.

Thanks Scribe, I've PM'd you to get that mechanics details in case I need him.

Stu

Congrats on the new car! Mine is also a 1998 Mk4. Just amazing. I drove from Edinburgh to Birmingham and back in one day and didn't feel tired at all. So relaxing and comfortable!

I was speaking to a local RAC breakdown driver recently who said he literally cannot remember every being called out to a broken down Lexus, and he has been with the RAC for years! Quality cars!!

When I told my local garage that I'd got rid of the Citroen they used to service for me and bought an LS400, they said, 'Oh, we won't be seeing much of you in future, then...' Not quite true, because all cars need servicing and MOTing, but it shows what a reputation for reliability Lexuses have.

Thanks for the very warm welcomes from all you guys, very much appreciated. The LS400 is a thing of beauty, both to look at and drive in and I'm well chuffed. Count me in on a South England Rally, or North England or Scotland for that matter. Any excuse for a drive at the moment :P

Stu

Just want to add my words of praise for my recently purchased '95 LS400, 1 owner, 92,000 miles FSH, 2 cambelt changes, last one at 88,000 2 years ago.

Had it on the ramp this morning for an inspection. v.good for a 15 year old car, just some slight surface rust on the box section in front of the rear wheels. Too wet to sort today but will be wirebrushing, zinc primer, paint and waxoyl (whole chassis) when the weather improves.

I've used to where I'm presently working in Rugby this last 2 weeks, about 70 miles e/way, twice weekly, plus some local runs and is returning 27 to the gallon, excellent for a large heavy car, not much worse than my Legacy (28-29). Is silent at 85-90 mph. Am very pleased.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links