Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

i am looking to buy my 1st lexus ls400

i've seen one that i really like but its done over 200,000 miles

although i've heard that they can be good for 500,000 miles

should i be scared

any advice welcome

Scared, nah, never ..... how long's the current MOT and what did the MOT Advisories last say ? Also when was the cambelt changed last ?

Any service history, well, recently anyway.

Mechanically, subject to MOT and Advisories looking ok or having been carried out you might just be lucky .. 1994 was a great year for the LS400.

Give it a good test drive to make sure it sounds and drives ok

Pictures and how much is it ?

Malc

Hi

no there is no reason to be scared - the engine and gearbox are virtually bombproof - just make sure it has had regular services and the cambelt has been changed on time - although the Mark 2 is a non-interference engine.

On the Mark 2 things to look out for are:

Failing climate control LCDs - fixes are available

Failing dash needles - again fixes are available -

Check the suspension properly - the LS is a heavy car and the suspension especially bushes can go

Check the exhaust is in good order

Check wiring loom around the boot hinge area - sometimes the loom rubs on the body stripping the insualtion off the wires and causing short circuits which results in electrics problems

The power steering reservoir is prone to leaking fluid - this causes power steering fluid to drip onto the alternator causing that to fail aswell . The fix for the power steering leak is a small cheap O Ring which is fitted to the base of the reservoir

hope this helps

Scared, nah, never ..... how long's the current MOT and what did the MOT Advisories last say ? Also when was the cambelt changed last ?

Any service history, well, recently anyway.

Mechanically, subject to MOT and Advisories looking ok or having been carried out you might just be lucky .. 1994 was a great year for the LS400.

Give it a good test drive to make sure it sounds and drives ok

Pictures and how much is it ?

Malc

no pictures at the moment, its a 1998 model and asking price is £1500

Well manicured then ! And if the drive feels and sounds ok and you're happy with the current MOT and Advisories then go4it.

Think the cambelt change might be at 100,000 miles or 10 years but I'm sure someone on here will prompt on that !

It's a Mk4 by the way and looks GREAT

Malc

It certainly looks nice.

With it being a series IV all the previous problems mentioned for the 1994 model were eliminated, the engine is the later VVTI model so more power but this engine is interference type so check for the cambelt replacement or face a £600-£800 bill for replacement.

There have been cases where the suspension height sensor link arms have broken due to corrosion so make sure the car sits level, the headlights auto adjust correctly and there are no warning lights present. If one of the links has failed it's not a difficult nor expensive job to sort but obviously adjust the asking price accordingly, it would normally be an MOT fail so all should be OK if this was done recently.

Listen for suspension knocks indicating wear on the bushes, top and bottom arms and try every gadget to make sure they work.

Also check it is a UK specification model as there are import versions rebadged, I have one and it makes insurance more difficult.

If you want a co pilot when viewing let me know as I am just up the road from you.

Test drive it over some rough roads, those wheels and tyres may well make for an uncomfortable experience, and certainly won't survive any half decent potholes (I speak from bitter experience :megaangry: ).

Also, looking at the ad, I see no mention of service history, which would put me off a bit.

Test drive it over some rough roads, those wheels and tyres may well make for an uncomfortable experience, and certainly won't survive any half decent potholes (I speak from bitter experience :megaangry: ).

Also, looking at the ad, I see no mention of service history, which would put me off a bit.

Forgive my ignorance, all down to my advancing age but where is it being advertised?

Mike

Forgive my ignorance, all down to my advancing age but where is it being advertised?

Mike

http://www.parkwaybirmingham.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-4-0-v8-4dr-auto-birmingham-201206448987971

the wheels would put me off also.

they may look nice , but ride would be compromised and when tyre buying time comes it'll be a killer.

being the mk4 , you will also want to check the headlight level sensors front & rear (they rust and fall apart).

at higher milages it is more important to check the gearbox fluid is healthy , should be bright pink.

with the big wheels the suspension will have been working harder , so a good look at the springs/shocks/joints and rubbers will be time well spent.

also make sure the idle is within spec as can be a pita to sort , approx 750rpm when hot and 1500 when cold , in neutral

Mike

http://www.parkwaybi...201206448987971

Thanks for the link, I havent seen this site before.

Mike

the wheels would put me off also.

they may look nice , but ride would be compromised and when tyre buying time comes it'll be a killer.

being the mk4 , you will also want to check the headlight level sensors front & rear (they rust and fall apart).

at higher milages it is more important to check the gearbox fluid is healthy , should be bright pink.

with the big wheels the suspension will have been working harder , so a good look at the springs/shocks/joints and rubbers will be time well spent.

also make sure the idle is within spec as can be a pita to sort , approx 750rpm when hot and 1500 when cold , in neutral

I am not a lover of mods like wheel changing and when I was looking for a car if I saw that it wouldnt matter to me what the rest of the car was like I woulnt give it a second look. It tends to be younger drivers who do these mods and makes me think the car hasnt been as well treated as I would like to think it has.

I do quite understand that some people like to make their cars look different its just not for me.

I think that someone else has commented that no service history is mentioned and that would be a deal breaker for me.

It dosent have to be all main dealer but some traceability of its history is important on any car you buy not just Lexus.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mike

thanks for all the replies guys!

couldn't contact the dealer until pm today

very cagey and definately no history!

i shall move on to the next one

again thanks for your comments

dave

Good decision I think, there are plenty about in that price range, with lower miles and decent history, enjoy your search.

thanks for all the replies guys!

couldn't contact the dealer until pm today

very cagey and definately no history!

i shall move on to the next one

again thanks for your comments

dave

Well done Dave.

Searching if a little frustrating at times can be part of the fun.

When I ever have to look at replacing one of our cars I look for cars where you can clearly see that someone has taken a great deal of time in describing the car they are selling with lots of good pictures and not blurred images taken in dense fog, most of those are genuine people who have looked after the car they are selling.

Adverts that say Great car Low mileage FSH selling for a friend so no questions please (and if you dont believe that one there is one on eBay as I sit here and type) just avoid like the plague they are not even worth your time in making a phone call let alone time and money going to see it.

Just be patient and your dream will happen.

Thats enough of being wise.

Mike

thanks for all the replies guys! couldn't contact the dealer until pm today very cagey and definately no history! i shall move on to the next one again thanks for your comments dave
Well done Dave. Searching if a little frustrating at times can be part of the fun. When I ever have to look at replacing one of our cars I look for cars where you can clearly see that someone has taken a great deal of time in describing the car they are selling with lots of good pictures and not blurred images taken in dense fog, most of those are genuine people who have looked after the car they are selling. Adverts that say Great car Low mileage FSH selling for a friend so no questions please (and if you dont believe that one there is one on eBay as I sit here and type) just avoid like the plague they are not even worth your time in making a phone call let alone time and money going to see it. Just be patient and your dream will happen. Thats enough of being wise. Mike

I completely agree. A well written advert makes such a difference doesn't it. I hate all those ads with dreadful spelling and "text speak" as well as no capital letters or punctuation! Or ones that give very little detail. The advert tells you a lot about the owner!

thanks for all the replies guys! couldn't contact the dealer until pm today very cagey and definately no history! i shall move on to the next one again thanks for your comments dave
Well done Dave. Searching if a little frustrating at times can be part of the fun. When I ever have to look at replacing one of our cars I look for cars where you can clearly see that someone has taken a great deal of time in describing the car they are selling with lots of good pictures and not blurred images taken in dense fog, most of those are genuine people who have looked after the car they are selling. Adverts that say Great car Low mileage FSH selling for a friend so no questions please (and if you dont believe that one there is one on eBay as I sit here and type) just avoid like the plague they are not even worth your time in making a phone call let alone time and money going to see it. Just be patient and your dream will happen. Thats enough of being wise. Mike

I completely agree. A well written advert makes such a difference doesn't it. I hate all those ads with dreadful spelling and "text speak" as well as no capital letters or punctuation! Or ones that give very little detail. The advert tells you a lot about the owner!

I saw this on another thread and it works.

If you use the eBay search system in motors ie Make of car? Lexus Model? LS400

The result will show you around 20 cars but if you put in Lexus LS 400 at the home page it gives you over 30 cars.

Dont ask why it works as Einstein is dead and he is probobly the only person who could have answered it.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links